Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major problem created when tinting front windows of M3 w/ white interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happens with cars with light interiors when you tint and something you have to consider before buying it. If this is your first car with a light interior, welcome to the fun :D. While my previous car had a strip of brushed aluminum on the dash, it wasn’t at the flat angle and also wasn’t cocaine white. Also the darker you go, the more pronounced it becomes. Still a small price to pay for such a great looking interior. Is it a flaw? Nah.

899FDF75-B29E-48C8-A086-1C870C795B41.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: EVNation
To be legal aftermarket tint must be 88%, or min 70% with factory glass taken into account. Most people go darker though as you would hardly be able to tell the window was tinted.

Yep. Basically a clear film for UV.

Law section

(e) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the windshield, side, or rear windows of a motor vehicle if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS–14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun’s harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by a licensed dermatologist certifying that the person should not be exposed to ultraviolet rays because of a medical condition that necessitates clear, colorless, and transparent film material to be installed on the windshield, side, or rear windows.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Hoping this thread is still active.

Just had my M3, white interior, tinted with Lumar Films Ceramic at 20% (all windows except windshield) and the interior glare / reflection is pretty bad. I don't think it was like this prior to the tint, although it's hard to compare as it's been a lot sunnier outside over the last week.

The White DASH is the biggest offender, but I can also see the rest of the interior (passenger seat, console) and myself (that's the worst!). Is this type of reflection normal with a 20% tint -- I'd expect to see a lot more complaining on these forums if it was.
I am hoping that the wood dashboard can replace the white one I have. The reflection of white in the side mirrors is to say the least, distracting and glaring, possibly even hazardous to vision. I am hoping the wood dash piece can be painted a flat black (matte black), the same as the rest of the main dashboard, to avoid the reflection in the side mirrors.

I saw several options, all using some type of matte (not glossy) black material such as vinyl or carbon. The flat black does not obscure or distort the vision in the side windows. I am getting a substitute wood dash and painting it black. For me, it's the best solution as the glare creates uncomfortable visibility problems for me, anyway. (I am located in South Florida just north of Miami)

After over a year, I don't see it anymore
Have to agree here. I learned to look closely and over my shoulder to compensate which is something I do already. It’s a small price to pay for the tint and I feel this is really an issue about the tint and not the dash; with all the things Tesla does not give an F about, I highly doubt they gave it a second thought in regards to what the dash would look like in a tinted car.
It’s also not the entire day as it’s worst when the sun is overhead but once the light starts to hit the car at an oblique angle, there’s enough shade angle so the dash doesn’t reflect as much.
11398CCA-9A2E-4400-9195-B88FA63A752B.jpeg

Reactions: LACALawyer
Wow. I love the white interior but this is a good reason to go with a darker interior if one is torn between the two. Black would absorb light where white would reflect more of it. This was even true in the Apollo 11 photography. One of the reasons Buzz was so well lit under the lander was the reflected light from Neil's white EVA suit. NVIDIA proved this in one of their demos, but it also stands to reason as a thought experiment.