Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Major problem while driving - 20 days out of warranty. Power shut down, won't turn on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is in park - won't go into any other position.

I ordered a new battery. I'd love for this to be the problem but the car does the same thing when I have it jumped.

It's out of tow mode, now, right?

I just don't see how the 12v and HV batteries are connected in such a way (physical or otherwise) that a bad 12v would prevent you from charging the HV. It seems illogical to me as this would cause you to completely drain the HV over time which is frowned upon.

Should be an interesting thread to follow, and I hope it works out.

Worst case, ask for "Goodwill discount," but if it's the HV battery, be prepared to shell out $$$ for replacement.

I just don't see how the 12v and HV batteries are connected in such a way (physical or otherwise) that a bad 12v would prevent you from charging the HV. It seems illogical to me as this would cause you to completely drain the HV over time which is frowned upon.

The 12v is what runs all of the computers in the car. If the 12v isn't working correctly the car can't negotiate with the charge station or even bring the HV battery online. (It takes power from the 12v system to close the contactors inside the HV battery.)

It's out of tow mode, now, right?

Should be an interesting thread to follow, and I hope it works out.

Worst case, ask for "Goodwill discount," but if it's the HV battery, be prepared to shell out $$$ for replacement.

I disabled tow mode to try to charge it but no dice. I put it back into tow mode in case the computers don't turn on again.

It's a 2013, bought it 8 months ago with 38k miles. Has 51k now. I really hope Tesla covers this. I know they don't legally have to but this will for sure put a bad taste in my mouth for the car. I know a lot of people have great experiences but mine hasn't been that so far.

The 12v is what runs all of the computers in the car. If the 12v isn't working correctly the car can't negotiate with the charge station or even bring the HV battery online. (It takes power from the 12v system to close the contactors inside the HV battery.)

Interesting - I didn't know that. I'm going to delay my appointment with Tesla until I get the battery swapped. They replaced the contactors under warranty 8 months ago. Maybe I got lucky and they messed that up. :)

I disabled tow mode to try to charge it but no dice. I put it back into tow mode in case the computers don't turn on again.

It's a 2013, bought it 8 months ago with 38k miles. Has 51k now. I really hope Tesla covers this. I know they don't legally have to but this will for sure put a bad taste in my mouth for the car. I know a lot of people have great experiences but mine hasn't been that so far.

While the timeline of the breakdown sucks, it's just coincidence.

It doesn't matter if it was 20 days or 200 days - just sucks more when it's closer to Day 1. Don't go into the situation with expectations. They owe you nothing, so anything you get is a goodwill gesture. Remember that, but...

...also complain and complain and complain and try to get them to cover more than they're required to do. There's nothing wrong with that approach either.

Reactions: GTHill

Did you buy before they dropped the used car warranty from 4y/50K to 1y/10K? I can't remember when Tesla gutted their used warranty.

Did you buy before they dropped the used car warranty from 4y/50K to 1y/10K? I can't remember when Tesla gutted their used warranty.

If I remember correctly the battery and drive unit were specifically exempted from the four year CPO warranty. They had the same warranty they had when the car was manufactured, that is to say, the eight year warranty from the date of manufacture. Or, it could have been from the day of first delivery. Not sure on that one either. And either event this car would be out of warranty as far as the battery and drive unit goes.

I've been chatting with the SC. I told them that I can get the car online by jumping it - their first response was that the HV system may be non-functional and putting a drain on the 12v battery. Great. They are pulling info from the car now. Will update when they let me know something.

The SC completed their remote analysis - They say that it appears that it needs a new drive unit - motor. However, they of course can't be sure until the car is there with them. I'm working on finding a towing service <$500.

IF it is the motor, does anyone know how that's handled financially? I believe the motor has a lifetime warranty but not sure if that's parts and labor. Since I just typed this I figure I could google it but too late to hit send now. :)