Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map doesn't show all superchargers when I press the teer drop charger icon on the map sense yesterday's update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am on 2021.44.30.5 and it is not like it used to be. As you can see from the attached images, only pressing Navigate, Charging do you see the nearby chargers. The teardrop only turns on some local attractions.
20220110_200508~2.jpg
20220110_200447~2.jpg
20220110_200441~2.jpg

In my car, the little teardrop turns on additional map legends

The new pin icon "unclutters" the map for a more simplified view, as stated on the Release Notes:

release-notes-16-1024x768.jpg

but not nearby Superchargers

You now have 2 options to see the Supercharger pins on the map:

1.- You can pinch-to-zoom in on the map and then move the map towards a nearby supercharger location. It will only display the Superchargers closer to the vehicle, so this method is not so useful when planing a trip, but can be useful for finding Superchargers in areas you are not too familiar with. (Note that Supercharger pins disappear when you zoom out).

2.- As @Les236 mentioned, you can click on the "Navigate" rectangle on the top left corner of your MCU, [where you input the navigation destination], and next to your "Home" and "Work" shortcuts, there's a "Charging" button that now displays the pins on the map for Superchargers and Destination Chargers regardless of how far they are to the vehicle.
There, you can filter the results by speed and type of charger needed (Destination vs. Supercharger).

Reactions: essaunders
Mine doesn’t work either since a January update. “Nearby Charging” on Tesla map does not show the nearest chargers.
It has been moved. Tap Navigate (like you were entering an address), then tap Charging. The teardrop button on the map toggles enhanced labels on the map, it has nothing to do with finding nearby charging. Although Superchargers do appear on the map if you are close to one. Covered in the release notes.

The above explanations are correct. That said, if where you wish to look for Superchargers that are hidden by that ridiculous vertical strip that covers about a quarter of the touchscreen, you have to move the map to the right to reveal those.

I mean, what are they thinking? It seems with Tesla's periodic grand updates to its software, they take a relatively simple concept and turn it into an ordeal.

Sure, some people just don't know how to negotiate a map. Some people struggle to find their way without a gentle nudge in the correct direction. But I would guess that if we are driving along a long stretch of highway with few, if any, turns onto a different highway, that we are best able to judge for ourselves whether to stop at Supercharger X or to continue another 30 miles to Supercharger Y.

I think Tesla's assumption is that everyone--yes, everyone--will put their ultimate destination into the navigation window, and blindly follow the recommended Supercharging stops along the way. Therefore, there is no need to show all the surrounding locations with open stall data to let us choose.

Then, time of day is also a factor. Maybe it is lunch time, and the stop is at a spot with no or lousy food. Maybe it is in the evening and all the establishments with rest rooms are closed at location X, but location Y has fast food and a convenience store that are open.

I think Tesla's assumption is that everyone--yes, everyone--will put their ultimate destination into the navigation window, and blindly follow the recommended Supercharging stops along the way. Therefore, there is no need to show all the surrounding locations with open stall data to let us choose..
Maybe you want to insert an extra Supercharger in your route as a Waypoint. Routes that I travel frequently, I kinda know the neighborhood. A stop before arriving at the final destination might be desirable, depending on the need for miles following your arrival.