Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Map speed limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Couldn't find a recent thread about this - please point me at any there might be.

There's a longish stretch of town road in Stafford (UK) that has recently (past month or so) acquired a speed limit of 20mph, down from the previous 30mph. The road is otherwise suitable for autosteer (but not at 20mph, holding up traffic).

It does go past a hospital and a school a few yards further on, and i suspect the school is the reason for the lowered limit. The hospital is set well back from the road.

I have no problem with slowing down when near schools. I've seen no speed limit signs though, so it seems to apply to only the few Tesla drivers!

I was hoping to find a way of editing the limit to cover a lesser distance, and hoped I might find a way via OpenStreetMaps, but that shows that stretch of road as 30mph, so it isn't the source of speed limit data.

Does anyone know of a way to modify the data? for that matter, does anyone know who decides that a limit should be lowered locally?

I think the op's issue is when you leave the 20 there is no 'normal' sign which the car can 'see' so it maintains 20 and won't budge!
Yes, that makes sense. Nothing you can do about that unfortunately.
Unless disengaging AP before leaving the 20 and re-engaging once out helps, but I don’t think it does.
It the same issue as picking up a lesser limit from a side street as you pass.

Yes, that makes sense. Nothing you can do about that unfortunately.
Unless disengaging AP before leaving the 20 and re-engaging once out helps, but I don’t think it does.
It the same issue as picking up a lesser limit from a side street as you pass.
Fingers crossed some tapping flicking and twiddling in 2020.44.x will override this. Map speeds are sometimes overrideable by placing car in AP and speeding up to speed you want (via the electron pedal) and then tapping the Speedo to 'lock it in'.

Thanks for all the replies.

I've looked pretty carefully and I couldn't seen any sign that showed a speed limit of 20mph near the point at which the car shows the limit dropping from 30 to 20. Also, I have seen no signs at the end of that stretch, which seems to terminate at a roundabout, to set the limit to 30 again.

Seems I'm stuck with it though.

Fingers crossed some tapping flicking and twiddling in 2020.44.x will override this. Map speeds are sometimes overrideable by placing car in AP and speeding up to speed you want (via the electron pedal) and then tapping the Speedo to 'lock it in'.
Oh! Will give this a shot next time it picks something up wrong, ta. Now if only it would remember...

since the "we will force you to cruise AT the speed limit not below it" update a few months ago, speed limits on our local roads have taken a nose-dive in accuracy. For example, I often have to drive between our little town and another 5 miles away. The road is 60 all the way and the M3 now thinks it's 30 all the way. It never used to think this.

70s are 60s, 60s are 30s, 40s are 60s... it's a complete mess and I don't understand why if it's all coming off map data as nothing has changed locally.

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha