Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

map updates!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news - I received the update yesterday. Bad news - appears the maps may be at least a year old already.

The navigation software still thinks my house is at the wrong place on the block; that it takes 5 minutes to drive the first few feet on our street; and a major street being added near our house is still missing, even though it's been there for over a year (and many houses now line side streets on both sides of the new street).

I've again reported the problems to Tesla. This time I didn't bother with the car's "Bug Report" feature - and sent an e-mail, with pictures. Though if the problems are out-of-date map data, it could be at least another year before I'll see any progress.

A few years back, I never did see my streets in the maps for my Lexus or BMW for new homes I was in for just a couple years each. It took 4 years for the streets in my new Marietta, GA development to show up in the maps available in a different Lexus. There is a very long cycle just getting changes into the 2 or 3 mapping databases (like Navigon) used for all sorts of products including automobiles -- changes seem to be batched-up and provided to auto mfgrs, who then do whatever they do before making them available to the public. For some reason, residential areas always seemed to take the longest getting into offline mapping DBs, and interstates the fastest. As we get more future Tesla updates, we'll have to see if the turnaround I've experienced in other brands is similar or not, but it's definitely not something to hold one's breath for. ;)

So jealous, seriously! [emoji28]
I knew you would be, and almost didn't post because of it, but thought the WiFi connection was an interesting twist. Honestly though, there are a few other firmware fixes I would much preferred to have... and I assume you know what I'm talking about. Nav Maps are the least of my personal concern, but I'll say "Thank You, Tesla" just the same. ;)

I knew you would be, and almost didn't post because of it, but thought the WiFi connection was an interesting twist. Honestly though, there are a few other firmware fixes I would much preferred to have... and I assume you know what I'm talking about. Nav Maps are the least of my personal concern, but I'll say "Thank You, Tesla" just the same. ;)

[emoji1][emoji1] yes I know exactly what you're talking about and if I get that update and the maps update helps my MS from getting lost all the time I'll be a VERY happy man.

I got my map update pop-up today. First one since getting the car in May 2015.

Based on anecdotal comments on other threads, this seems to be a general update, at least for North America. Hard to be sure since there isn't a map update tracker as there is for the firmware. Except for the wide-spread angst about a lack of map updates, it is also a lot less interesting to track, so I am not advocating creating one.

While quarterly updates, as Garmin provides for their stand alone products, would be nice, Tesla does appear to be doing annual updates, which mitigates some of my angst about stale maps.

While quarterly updates, as Garmin provides for their stand alone products, would be nice, Tesla does appear to be doing annual updates, which mitigates some of my angst about stale maps.
As far as I know, this is only the second upgrade since 2012. However, I've had zero since I got my car in early March 2013.

Has anybody actually seen any differences in the new maps?

So far, a spot check of new roads built near us appears to indicate that either nothing has changed - or the maps that were in the update are already at least a year out of date (at least for our area).

Has anybody actually seen any differences in the new maps?

So far, a spot check of new roads built near us appears to indicate that either nothing has changed - or the maps that were in the update are already at least a year out of date (at least for our area).
There is a report in another similar thread to this one that a guy found a street near his home now shows up, but not adjoining new streets to it (yet).

The car often goes to sleep at night (if you have energy saving mode on), so this may explain why a lot of people don't get updates while the car is at home on WiFi. Once you are driving, or have recently, the CID is awake and pings the mothership for updates.

Hopefully someone else will know the details, but last year when I drove from the NYC area down to Florida via 95, there was a brand new bridge somewhere in the Virginia/North Carolina area that was about 200 yards west of the old bridge, but the Model S nav still had me going over the old bridge (there was no new bridge on the map).

I'm doing the same trip next week, and hopefully I will get the map update and see if this has changed. But the only way I'll know is that if it didn't change, I should see the same thing happen, that is, if I notice it. If it did update the new bridge, I probably won't notice since there are a lot of highway bridges on 95, and I don't remember which one it was.

I got the long-awaited Navigon Map Update yesterday and looked forward to the correct mapping of Doyle Drive/Presidio Parkway in San Francisco, which opened last July. That's my commute from Marin every day. Unfortunately, the Map Update doesn't have the correct mapping (of course Google Maps does, but the navigation logic is from Navigon). Given that I've been a Model S owner since 2012 and this is only the second map update, it will likely be a couple of more years before there's a shot at getting it right. I think that Tesla's reliance on Navigon is a real weak point in an otherwise great car.