TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Maps, traffic issue

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by xwilsonx25, Jun 29, 2018.

1. xwilsonx25

xwilsonx25 Member

Anyone else experiencing an issue with traffic data displaying on their maps? I have to zoom in and zoom out to “update” my map at times for traffic to appear. For reference I’m on 21.9

Attached Files:

2. halfricanguy

halfricanguy MSM Model 3

I have been on the highway where the maps say there’s heavy traffic when there was virtually none. Next time I’ll try your trick and will see what happens.

3. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Software Engineer

Are you running 24.1 firmware?

Same problem in my Model 3 and Model S. Sometimes the traffic data is stale and a re-zoom or toggle of traffic data will force a reload of it.

• Helpful x 1
  4. superlum

superlum Supporting Member

I'm on 24.1 and having the same issues. I did a force reload and I still have issues with traffic updates

5. pdxgibby

Yes, I have to use the toggle traffic trick to get it to reload. It seems that navigation is also impacted. I've be routed around stale traffic information as well.

• Helpful x 1
  6. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Ive been double checking it with my phone and find that it's not updated sometimes for many hours. Is Tesla trying to save $$$ by scrimping on the data delivered??? I'd be more than happy to pay for a data plan to make it more reliable.

7. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I think it's a display issue, not a download issue. For me I find I zoom in or out and the traffic updates, but often when I return to the original zoom level it displays the outdated traffic again.

8. pdxgibby

I got 2018.26 pushed to me yesterday. Problem still exists.

9. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Wait wait wait, 2018.26 on a Model 3? If so then you are the first confirmed case I’ve read about of a Model 3 getting that version. Could you please post screen shots of the release notes?

10. pdxgibby

2018.26 is on my Model S. Problem still exists.

11. Altes

Altes Member

YES having same issues 24.1

12. Chris Clark

Chris Clark Member

If you switch to satellite view does the issue still persist?

13. dano9258

dano9258 Member

I'm pretty sure they use Google maps for the traffic. It's not 100% accurate but a gauge.

14. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Yes

15. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

Yes, but Tesla controls the rate and frequency of the updating of the data.

I find that different zoom levels also do not agree. So some zoom levels update while others stay stagnant. They do not update unless you zoom way out and then back in or reboot the center screen. firmware 24.1

16. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

have you guys looked at the thread for Waze? A guy built an updated page that shows live traffic and icons from Waze. May be of help. Also Google gets its traffic from Waze and other sources. Since google owns waze, why not get it from the source?
    I know its not as nice for routing, but better IMO.

17. Petesjca

Petesjca Member

I live in the San Jose, CA and the area is surrounded by hills and mountains. I've found that when going out of the urban area the map disappears or doesn't update for a while. This is pretty frustrating if I'm out for a Sunday drive exploring and want to see where some back road goes. This has happened every time I'm a just a few miles out of the San Jose. Any ideas why this is happening? Can I expect this to happen every time I go for a drive???

18. FloridaJohn

FloridaJohn Member

Model 3 doesn’t have a web browser.

19. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Well. I hope you get one soon.

20. slipnslider

slipnslider Member

Nav traffic problems. My car lead me straight into a traffic jam last night. The highway was green on the map screen, then I turn onto the entrance ramp and low and behold - the highway is a bumper to bumper traffic jam. I zoom the map in and out a little and it refreshes and the whole highway turns red. This is a repeated flaw that keeps happening. I'm on 26.3. Anyone else? This rarely happened to me when I just used the google maps app on my phone. Isn't tesla using that same data?