Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Marekting Query: Would YOU preferentially patronize a free-charging inn/hotel/b&b?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am resurrecting this thread because we have found the process of finding charge-friendly accommodations to be darned kludgy. So, again, we need your input, PLEASE!

Background: You are planning an overnight to San Diego, or Baltimore, or wherever.
Query: HOW do you effectively go about finding where to stay? -> NOT for the other reasons such a website as those listed below may be useful, but specifically for where to stay - thanks.)

1. Do you use PlugShare? Yes, it is what I check first.
2. Do you use ChargePoint? Yes, and also blink, but there aren't too many around here.
3. Do you use TripAdvisor? No.
4. Do you use EVTripPlanner?Yes, but only occasionally, for trips that I am pushing the distance/range.
5. Do you google "EV charging" and "accommodations" and "my destination"? Yes, but only occasionally if I absolutely need to find RV parks or something along a route.
6. Do you use another medium? I haven't yet had to do this, but I suppose one could post on TMC or some other EV forum to see if anyone in your destination area would be willing to offer charging.

and do you find that to be a satisfactory experience? Does the internet need yet another site? So far so good.

Website developers are standing by..... ;) We're pretty proud of what we've done with our own web presence, as in: Denali Highway Cabins Paxson Alpine Tours in Alaska . If something else is needed, we think we can go a long way toward persuading the accommodations industry to come on board....

My answers above in bold.

1. Do you use PlugShare? Yes.
2. Do you use ChargePoint? Have account, never used.
3. Do you use TripAdvisor? Yes, but never to find charging.
4. Do you use EVTripPlanner? Yes, and it has proven reasonably accurate.
5. Do you google "EV charging" and "accommodations" and "my destination"? No.
6. Do you use another medium? Yes, I use the AllStays Camp & RV app on my iPad.

1. Do you use PlugShare? Yes.
2. Do you use ChargePoint? Yes.
3. Do you use TripAdvisor? No
4. Do you use EVTripPlanner? No
5. Do you google "EV charging" and "accommodations" and "my destination"? Yes, but it it is rarely helpful
6. Do you use another medium? I have called hotels to check

1. Do you use PlugShare? Yes -- Note that their iOS app now has a filter to find chargers near hotels or restaurants... Its in the search area, not settings -- so some may have missed that.
2. Do you use ChargePoint? Have a card, but never used
3. Do you use TripAdvisor? Nope
4. Do you use EVTripPlanner? Yes
5. Do you google "EV charging" and "accommodations" and "my destination"? Nope
6. Do you use another medium? Search TMC

and do you find that to be a satisfactory experience? Does the internet need yet another site? Experience could be better. I don't think another site is useful -- just makes it more fragmented. Plugshare is where I start... I wish hotels would make sure to include avail charging on their amenities list...

1. Do you use PlugShare? Yes
2. Do you use ChargePoint? Yes
3. Do you use TripAdvisor? Yes A lot!
5. Do you google "EV charging" and "accommodations" and "my destination"? no
6. Do you use another medium? Every hotel I ask about charging at even if I seriously doubt they have it.

Living in Spain where there is close to zero charging infrastruture means things are a bit different. However, when we drove to the Alps for our ski holiday (2800kms round trip) I expected there to be more to help plan a trip... but there wasn't! So for me France is just as ill prepared as Spain (except for IKEA stores :).

Now we are planning a trip Spain to Scotland via the Bilbao - Portsmouth car ferry. In the UK there is more infrastructure and some sites and services did help.. I will add them here as this poll will benefit all hotel owners everywhere.

BTW: In answer to the original question "would I preferentially patronize a (free) charging hotel?"

TOTALLY.

It doesn't even have to be free. The important thing is that the hotel offers a high power (22kW or 11kW), working, reliable, BOOKABLE charge point. I don't even ask the price when I know the place has a good charge point. So, if you own/run a hotel... put in a high power outlet, paint the parking place if you like, let people book it, tell us about it here in TMC, and we will come!!!

Here are my responses in bold:

1. Do you use PlugShare? No

2. Do you use ChargePoint? No
5. Do you google "EV charging" and "accommodations" and "my destination"? No
6. Do you use another medium? hotels.com and then I phone, ask to speak to the maintenance guy, describe what I need, and hope for the best. >30 places around Spain ready and tested. More to come.
In the UK I used zerocarbonworld.org... excellent service! Great for finding hotels with charging. And chargeyourcar.org.uk too. In France I tried the Nissan/Hagger "ChargeMap" app... it really let me down :(

Yes I would and Yes I have done so.

I always ask about high speed charging (even if I have flown into the city) to make hotels aware of the increasing demand:

1. Do you use PlugShare? Yes
2. Do you use ChargePoint? Member but have not used
5. Do you google "EV charging" and "accommodations" and "my destination"? No
6. Do you use another medium? Ask at every hotel that I stay at

1. Do you use PlugShare? YES
2. Do you use ChargePoint? YES
3. Do you use TripAdvisor? YES
4. Do you use EVTripPlanner? no
5. Do you google "EV charging" and "accommodations" and "my destination"? no
6. Do you use another medium? BLINK