Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessmog

Aug 24, 2013
Smögen
On Today’s Market Drop—Dizziness with Excess?

There’s often a mismatch between the money economy and what economists call the real economy. I’m not sufficiently well-trained to separate the two, especially when they may be combined as payment operators like banks and stock exchanges.

In my simple minded approach to investing, especially Tesla, most important is the “real world” matter of what the company plans to do, what it has actually done, and what it plans to do in light of perceptible physical trends in the economy. By the latter I mean something important like a shift in the way we use energy. At first glance, until the quantum-magicians got hold of it, energy is damn important because that is all there is, except empty space.

Re the money economy, consistent with a simple-minded approach one can hardly do better than the answer provided by a “The Wheeler Dealers” movie protagonist who is asked, what is the “value of money?” “It’s a way of keeping score.” Stock prices I assume must be considered a part of the money economy. Certainly they are reflected in it monetarily when the relatively “normal” jobs report spooks market fears of inflation.

As noted in my last post I am wary of single-factor explanations for any real world behavior, whether monetary or in the more productive “actual” undertakings of human beings. I don’t mean there is no validity to all conjectures about the meaning of the market, but just reiterate there may be multiple factors motivating investors.

The Nunes Bomb

Demonstrating again that politics is the struggle for control over people’s picture of reality is the rather blatant attempt to smear the FBI and Justice officials with release, first, of the Republican view and not the Democratic view, of the Nunes memo. Also prejudicial is its endorsement a few days ago by the President, reportedly, before he had even read it.

I’m always amused when commentators assert business does not like uncertainty. Almost no one likes uncertainty. But uncertainty is the price for innovation. It guides Elon Musk to better solutions as even he tries to reduce the danger of risk despite high personal cost. But a deliberate effort to disrupt with no clear purpose than tearing down institutions is dangerous. That should be a clearer concern for conservatives than almost any other priority so it is passing strange we see all this sound and fury about investigating Russian influence on our elections with no energy devoted to stopping it. Zip!

In addition to monetary concerns fellow risk takers may be disturbed by the inference government spying may be on us next. Alternatively, others may have concern that democracy is at risk because our trust is broken once again. Who shall guard the guardians of justice? Is that a control we are willing to relinquish? Does it really make our lives simpler, more predictable? Aren’t the enemies of the “Deep State” merely old deal anarchists at heart? That too will eventually be reflected in the real economy.

Is it really productive to impeach a FISA judge to protect a president from impeachment? Just to keep the historical score, we are 34 years beyond 1984.

Just a warning. Not an advice. The danger of the vacuum in space is matched or exceeded only by empty minds.
In my eyes, the US is right now celebrating the centennary of Uljanov's putsch in Russia: This is nothing less than a coup. A bit ironic to see it perpetrated in the Homeland and against the IC who have been so efficient abroad in that line of activity over the last half a century at least.

Hope to be wrong and would love to see some evidence of that, but not holding my breath. :eek:

• Love
Reactions: Intl Professor
Wow this thread derailed quickly right at the closing Bell. It's now all impeach, tax and spend more as if 20 trillion in debt is not enough. Paul Krugman, the guy who said the market would never recover from Trump on election day? Higher wages = bad because the public sector won't be happy. Is this bizarro world now? Increase regulations and taxes to make people want to do business in KC, you forgot to add increase corruption for the trifecta of what business really like in their political class. This basically defines Illinois where taxes go up every year and companies and population are fleeing and corruption is so common place that no one brings it up any more. We have guys who raise property taxes who run law firms on the side to lower your property taxes. This is literally like paying the mob for protection.

If wages don't go up and inflation always does, how does everyone not go bankrupt it how are they able to retire and pay medical expenses that double every year? The answer is they don't, they work themselves to death instead. But only those that can even get a job.

After a market goes up 50% in 12 months it tends to have a correction. This market was over due and 3% is not a correction it's a it's a tiny blip. Yes it's Trump's fault for making the market go up so fast for so long to need a correction but would have rather the market went up 10% and had a correction of 3% or more? Paul Krugman has all the credibility of Mark B speigal with his comments that the market would never recover from the Trump election. Even a novice could see that sticks simply rotated from Clinton policy friendly sticks to Trump policy friendly sticks as no one expected Trump to win. If you recall the market was down over night 600+ points then opened and shot directly up to close with a massive gain while libs in the media where screaming to get your money out of the market and hide it under your bed.

If the stimulus would have been 3 times larger, the unwinding, which is what is causing this correction due to higher short term rates. This is due to fed unwinding the bond purchased that kept those rates low for far too long and are now abruptly going up. This is what did causing the small, hopefully, correction you are seeing now. In the long run, more normalized rates are critical because it's the only tool the Fed has to fight inflation and stimulate in the case of a resession, which is invertible no matter who is impeached or who is President.

This president is not getting impeached. His approval ratings are on the rise because his policies are good for voters. Lower taxes, jobs and higher wages will drive voters to the polls more then claims of Russian collision, whatever that means. Good luck finding Anyone who voted for Trump because a Russian facebook ad, lol. Who even clicks on face book ads. If you could buy and election of $200,000 in Facebook ads then there is no way Trump is not reelected for 4 more years because he can afford a lot of facebook ads.

Paul Krugman, lol. The mark b speigal of economist. If buying Twitter followers can get you elected then all hail mark b, our next president.

Wow this thread derailed quickly right at the closing Bell. It's now all impeach, tax and spend more as if 20 trillion in debt is not enough. Paul Krugman, the guy who said the market would never recover from Trump on election day? Higher wages = bad because the public sector won't be happy. Is this bizarro world now? Increase regulations and taxes to make people want to do business in KC, you forgot to add increase corruption for the trifecta of what business really like in their political class. This basically defines Illinois where taxes go up every year and companies and population are fleeing and corruption is so common place that no one brings it up any more. We have guys who raise property taxes who run law firms on the side to lower your property taxes. This is literally like paying the mob for protection.

If wages don't go up and inflation always does, how does everyone not go bankrupt it how are they able to retire and pay medical expenses that double every year? The answer is they don't, they work themselves to death instead. But only those that can even get a job.

After a market goes up 50% in 12 months it tends to have a correction. This market was over due and 3% is not a correction it's a it's a tiny blip. Yes it's Trump's fault for making the market go up so fast for so long to need a correction but would have rather the market went up 10% and had a correction of 3% or more? Paul Krugman has all the credibility of Mark B speigal with his comments that the market would never recover from the Trump election. Even a novice could see that sticks simply rotated from Clinton policy friendly sticks to Trump policy friendly sticks as no one expected Trump to win. If you recall the market was down over night 600+ points then opened and shot directly up to close with a massive gain while libs in the media where screaming to get your money out of the market and hide it under your bed.

If the stimulus would have been 3 times larger, the unwinding, which is what is causing this correction due to higher short term rates. This is due to fed unwinding the bond purchased that kept those rates low for far too long and are now abruptly going up. This is what did causing the small, hopefully, correction you are seeing now. In the long run, more normalized rates are critical because it's the only tool the Fed has to fight inflation and stimulate in the case of a resession, which is invertible no matter who is impeached or who is President.

This president is not getting impeached. His approval ratings are on the rise because his policies are good for voters. Lower taxes, jobs and higher wages will drive voters to the polls more then claims of Russian collision, whatever that means. Good luck finding Anyone who voted for Trump because a Russian facebook ad, lol. Who even clicks on face book ads. If you could buy and election of $200,000 in Facebook ads then there is no way Trump is not reelected for 4 more years because he can afford a lot of facebook ads.

Paul Krugman, lol. The mark b speigal of economist. If buying Twitter followers can get you elected then all hail mark b, our next president.
Let's outsource military to Russia save lots of money. Bigger tax cuts. Winning.

This worried me at first that Ryan may well try to reduce benefits. But looking at the tables, it seems for SS at least, there is not a problem until 2032 because of interest income. Of course some action needed, I would advocate soaking you rich guys by increasing the limit on what income is actually taxed.

Simple fix.. raise the retirement age for benefits. Social security was never meant to be a retirement plan but a backup for those who lived past being able to work. Start raising it 6 months every 2 years for the next 20, then 6 months ever 5 years forever. If people stop living longer then it can be leveled off.

Let people increase their ss funds.

Reciprocity for president, I do not even know how to spell Putan so I assume I can rely on the liberal vote.

I have no idea what that means.. I can tell you that if anyone comes.. It's going to be Red Dawn time if you get my reference. That second amendment makes it impossible to take any of the others from us.

I suspect it was an abbreviated (to let the reader fill in their own blanks for who/what "they" came for) reference to First they came ... - Wikipedia...

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
I suspect it was an abbreviated (to let the reader fill in their own blanks for who/what "they" came for) reference to First they came ... - Wikipedia...
Really, Nazis.. Dems will never get elected again calling half the country Nazis. Not an advice, keep it up.

No one is coming for anything in this country, it's citizens are way too well armed, by design.

Here is a thought experiment.. How does an imbecile like Trump get elected president? Let's assume the Russians didn't trick us. Could it be that all the racist that voted for Barack Obama decided to go back to being racists an sexist and not vote for Hillary? If people loved what was going on with the country so much, why not vote for Hillary to continue that? Why vote for Trump that was going to erase everything Obama did? My point is people were so dissatisfied with the last 8 years that they voted for a guy who was clearly the antithesis of Obama. The exact opposite. People where so satisfied that maybe they where all passed out on their couches on election day?

There is hope yet for massive government. Bernie in 2020! Raise tax rates on the rich back to 80% and pay for everyone's arts degree including everyone pouring over the boarded. What could do wrong with that?

I know. My point is Trump is for Trump no one else. All joking aside we are on a dark path. Putin has a master plan bigger than elon's.

I never made a reference to Trump. My point is that America is strong because of Americans. Not government. No matter what idiot is in charge. It's offensive to many that people think that Putin tricked them into voting for Trump. They voted for smaller government and a strong military and borders. Best a can tell, Trump is standing up to Putin more then Obama and Hillary ever did. Maybe that is part of the sinister plan. Next thing Trump will be giving Putin all of our uranium..... I mean the rest that he doesn't already have.

I know. My point is Trump is for Trump no one else. All joking aside we are on a dark path. Putin has a master plan bigger than elon's.
Lol... Putin can barely keep his own people subdued. If and when oil finally collapses, so will Putin. Elon is also going to put their space agency out of business.

How much solar is Putin installing? It can't be zero but I would guess pretty close.

Edit: what happened to the libs who mocked Romney when he said Putin was a threat? When Obama whispered to the Russian secretary of state that he would have more flexibility to give Putin what he wanted after the election? Or Hillary's reset button. Trump is infinitly stronger on Russian and pretty much everything else.. Iran North Korea and yes China. These are not our friends, they want America diminished.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bucfan11
I never made a reference to Trump. My point is that America is strong because of Americans. Not government. No matter what idiot is in charge. It's offensive to many that people think that Putin tricked them into voting for Trump. They voted for smaller government and a strong military and borders. Best a can tell, Trump is standing up to Putin more then Obama and Hillary ever did. Maybe that is part of the sinister plan. Next thing Trump will be giving Putin all of our uranium..... I mean the rest that he doesn't already have.
That's on thing you may have right. Trump will end up biting the hand that feeds him. Putin's hand, Trump being the dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.