Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anecdotally I have decent healthcare insurance from work,
Large tech companies have some of the best healthcare. Infact before Obamacare, in MSFT, we had zero deductible, zero premium healthcare.

In my new company we have good HSA insurance - but billing and paying the bills using HSA is still painful and wastes so many hours.

For people who have no regard for human life and thus don't care that 44k people die every year for lack of coverage, M4A is still better in terms of efficiency.
- Profits and high pay for a myriad private insurance companies removed
- Consolidated administration

Anyway, here is an interesting chart.

D4XQ-K4WkAEAkxz.png

The CEO of the largest healthcare has to tell big lies to coverup. There are 40 Million without insurance now.

The proposal would be a “wholesale disruption of American health care,” and would “surely have a severe impact on the economy and jobs -- all without fundamentally increasing access to care,” CEO Dave Wichmann said on the call.

Why Mueller's report won't matter much in 2020

Found this today - realized that some of the details may not be exactly right, but the conclusion is exactly what I (personally) am thinking:
Details don't matter.

Bottomline - Mueller didn't say Trump is guilty of Russia conspiracy and he punted on obstruction. So, electorally it has no impact. So 2020 will be fought on other things, just like the mid-term.

“Oh my God,” President Donald Trump said. “This is terrible. This is the end of my presidency. I’m ****ed.”

That was how Trump reacted to the news that special counsel Robert Mueller had been appointed to investigate Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, according to Mueller’s report, which the Justice Department made public with several redactions Thursday morning.

Yeah, no collusion...sure...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/mueller-report-does-not-exonerate-trump_n_5cb619a6e4b098b9a2db6c69

Reactions: neroden and STARR X
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Unpilot
yeah there was tons of collusion and even attempted conspiracy. on obstruction justice he didn't punt as much as say he couldn't bring charges because of DOJ policy and recommended congress to look in to it. an impeachment roadmap more or less.

Mueller also said their efforts to figure out what happened to the polling data that Manafort handed off were unsuccessful. that is probably the key smoking gun that was unresolved.

that AOC tweet is a good thread and much smarter statement to be making than her much more experienced peers. holding impeachment hearings more in sorrow than anger is the way to handle this for the dems.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and Unpilot
on obstruction justice he didn't punt as much as say he couldn't bring charges because of DOJ policy and recommended congress to look in to it. an impeachment roadmap more or less.

I call this punt i.e. they are asking congress to make a decision. Any decision congress makes will be seen as political ... so will have only partisan support. In other words not significant from an election POV.

One thing though is - Trump can't claim to have been "exonorated" - because the report explicitly says he was not.

D4cfEVQWsAEQSjT.png

But, I guess the drama continues.

Capture.PNG

again.....
Really capable smart people are digesting the minutia of the details of what was done. Folks, the real issue here is not the details of what was and is being done, it is why we voters have found any hint of this behavior acceptable in the management we hire. Trump aside, why was it that the Senate confirmed a known lier to the top law enforcement post in the US? A lot of the members were around when Barr did his rendition memo rendition. They knew better.

The details are a distraction, an entertaining one (only 2/3rds through the read), but a distraction.

How do we talk to each other and fix ourselves, our values as a nation?

• Love
Reactions: neroden and croman
Not to derail what I think is a wonderful conversation regarding the need to pass Medicare for All, I thought this might be the best thread to share this with the other history enthusiasts here as there seems to be more than a handful of folks that would sincerely enjoy seeing this. This is an amazing link to some incredible WWII photos during the war paired with photos of as they look now with the aid of technology to align the photo content properly............just click on them and they jump from 1944 to present day and back:

https://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/2014/apr/image-opacity-slider-master/index.html?ww2-dday

Reactions: Off Shore
again.....
Really capable smart people are digesting the minutia of the details of what was done. Folks, the real issue here is not the details of what was and is being done, it is why we voters have found any hint of this behavior acceptable in the management we hire. Trump aside, why was it that the Senate confirmed a known lier to the top law enforcement post in the US? A lot of the members were around when Barr did his rendition memo rendition. They knew better.

The details are a distraction, an entertaining one (only 2/3rds through the read), but a distraction.

How do we talk to each other and fix ourselves, our values as a nation?

The Republicans have gamed the system to win with less than a majority. In 2016, they lost the popular vote, but won the electoral vote thanks to 3-4 squeaker and possibly illegal wins (Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Florida). In the senate, they lost even worse. The popular senate vote for Democratic senatorial candidates was over 51 million and the Republicans got around 40 million votes. The Democrats won 12 senate elections and the Republicans 22.

In many states thanks to gerrymandering the Democrats got more votes in both House races and state legislature races, but got a minority of seats.

The same thing repeated in 2018. The generic Senate vote was 53 million to 35 million and the Democrats lost two seats getting 18 million more votes.

The majority of Americans are not backing the Republicans, but they have a large enough minority scared of boogiemen in the right corners of the country to vote for them. Getting rural voters to vote Republican is a very effective bang for the buck.

Thanks to the technology differences between the cities and the rural areas, the majority of people living in rural areas have far fewer options for getting their information than people in cities. Republicans have repeatedly blocked ideas to bring broadband internet to rural areas because they know that if their constituents are able to learn what's going on from something other than the local TV and radio stations and what they pump in via satellite, the gig is up. In the suburbs where broadband is widely available, the abandonment of the Republican party in 2018 was profound.

What is disturbing is the relative handful of Republican politicians who are sticking with Donald Trump, even though it's obvious he's a criminal. They do so because they think that's their best bet for getting re-elected.

In terms of impeachment ... I'm slightly surprised the most vociferous calls are coming from progressives and not "resistance" liberals.

My guess is Pelosi, apart from being a coward, is worried about purple seats they just won in '18.

Pelosi isn't being a coward, she's being a realist. Look at how much Trump crowed about being exonerated by a report that clearly did not exonerate him. If he is impeached and survives the Senate trial, then he will be even more emboldened. And right now the votes are not there in the Senate.

Starting in a few weeks there will be a blizzard of Congressional testimony, much of it public that will have one former Trump person after another testify that Trump tried to obstruct justice many times and generally how corrupt he is. This will be played every night on the news. The independents who don't really like Trump, but were leaning his direction will see testimony about Trump's guilt every time they turn around and it will erode their support.

Nixon enjoyed much more popularity than Trump does now until a tipping point was hit in the Watergate investigation and the public started clamoring for his head. Then a number of Republican senators said they were willing to break with their party and vote for conviction in an impeachment trial. Once Nixon became aware of that he resigned.

We're living in a very different media environment, but the same rules still apply. Impeaching Trump is easy, removing him from office right now is impossible. And an attempted impeachment now would only make Trump stronger.

Think of it like this... you have a neighbor who you are sure is up to something illegal, say selling illegal drugs. But the cops are being paid off and they are looking the other way. You've complained to the cops, but it doesn't look like they're doing anything. If you take a baseball bat, go over to the neighbor's house and wreck the place, chances are you'll end up in prison and the neighbor will look better than ever. If however you start gathering evidence and then turn it over to the local news and it becomes a big news story, then the cops will have to act out of their own best interests.

As short term satisfying it would be to take a baseball bat to the neighbor's house, the most effective way is to bide your time and make your case.

If the Senate does not shift against Trump, the Democrats can put the Republicans there in a bind in 2020 by impeaching Trump during primary season. Then the 22 Republican Senators up for re-election have to go on the record as protecting a president the majority of the public will probably believe is a criminal by that point.

It's frustrating to watch. I'm frustrated too, but in the current political environment, that's the best play the Democrats have.

Not to derail what I think is a wonderful conversation regarding the need to pass Medicare for All, I thought this might be the best thread to share this with the other history enthusiasts here as there seems to be more than a handful of folks that would sincerely enjoy seeing this. This is an amazing link to some incredible WWII photos during the war paired with photos of as they look now with the aid of technology to align the photo content properly............just click on them and they jump from 1944 to present day and back:

https://interactive.guim.co.uk/embed/2014/apr/image-opacity-slider-master/index.html?ww2-dday
Very interesting.....thanks for sharing this.

Thanks to the technology differences between the cities and the rural areas, the majority of people living in rural areas have far fewer options for getting their information than people in cities. Republicans have repeatedly blocked ideas to bring broadband internet to rural areas because they know that if their constituents are able to learn what's going on from something other than the local TV and radio stations and what they pump in via satellite, the gig is up. In the suburbs where broadband is widely available, the abandonment of the Republican party in 2018 was profound.
This is another example of contributing Republicans to being stupid. This is not a logical argument. The racist, stupid, or morally inferior claims for anyone that identifies as a Republican are insulting, and are not based in fact.

Many people in rural areas are farmers, small business owners, manufacturers, miners, etc. These are all people that Dems forgot about or were unable to help. In fact many of their policies negatively impacted their lives. For example, NAFTA contributed to many job losses in rural areas.

The notion that rural areas tend to not vote for Dems because of slower internet speeds or less TV channels is incorrect and has nothing to do with their political beliefs. They are smart enough to figure out which policies are good for them. In fact, they are much better at figuring out policies that work for them than the urban majority.

The notion that rural areas tend to not vote for Dems because of slower internet speeds or less TV channels is incorrect and has nothing to do with their political beliefs.
You are probably correct.

They are smart enough to figure out which policies are good for them. In fact, they are much better at figuring out policies that work for them than the urban majority.
Probably incorrect. Many have in fact voted for those actively working against their best interest. Many also feel completely betrayed by Trump. Some Democratic candidates are aware of this and are actively addressing this group.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
This is another example of contributing Republicans to being stupid. This is not a logical argument. The racist, stupid, or morally inferior claims for anyone that identifies as a Republican are insulting, and are not based in fact.

Were did he say this? You seem to be reading a different post than me.
The only claim was that rural areas have less internet speed which is probably true. I am not sure I agree with the conclusion but no where in that post was what you are referring to.

I think the reason for rural areas going for Republicans is more closely aligned with Churches.

Status
Not open for further replies.