Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market politics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With such access to information through the internet which includes direct subscription to the NYT and WAPO, I don't take the time to read books in my old age. There's too little time left and my metabolic rate is approaching zero rapidly. I do watch some streaming sci fi but mostly detective stories. Thus I was interested in the following which gives a tour of sci fi in China through a superb translator into English. It is fascinating how this man is able to maneuver things into better art while protecting authors from the tyranny of censorship and potentially dangerous political speculation through imagination about alternative futures. Also, reminds us of the luxury afforded by the First Amendment. You may want to take the time to read some of the work/authors mentioned.

How Chinese Sci-Fi Conquered America

Trump 2020!

giphy.gif

With such access to information through the internet which includes direct subscription to the NYT and WAPO, I don't take the time to read books in my old age. There's too little time left and my metabolic rate is approaching zero rapidly. I do watch some streaming sci fi but mostly detective stories. Thus I was interested in the following which gives a tour of sci fi in China through a superb translator into English. It is fascinating how this man is able to maneuver things into better art while protecting authors from the tyranny of censorship and potentially dangerous political speculation through imagination about alternative futures. Also, reminds us of the luxury afforded by the First Amendment. You may want to take the time to read some of the work/authors mentioned.

How Chinese Sci-Fi Conquered America
thank you for the link to ted Liu.
(have you read by any chance "the story of your life" )

The Constitution does not agree with you here. It says "high crimes and misdemeanors", period.

Article II, Section 4:
"The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors."

High crimes and misdemeanors is a term of art in the 18th century which has lost meaning today. It meant actions not becoming your office. It basically gives Congress leeway to impeach the president for any behavior that departs from the norm.

Under US law the legal definition of bribery includes soliciting getting something of value for an official act:
Bribery

We have gone over this here several times, but you seem to miss the distinction. I will try to be succinct.

When Joe Biden led the delegation to the Ukraine to pressure the Ukrainian government to remove prosecutor Viktor Shokin, it was because Shokin was NOT investigating corruption in the Ukraine, including the gas company Hunter Biden was working for Burisma Holdings. Since his removal, Burisma and its president has been investigated for failure to pay taxes and questionable practices getting contracts. All of the instances of contract irregularities happened before Hunter Biden was involved with the company. Hunter Biden had no connection to any of the tax irregularities. There are many stories from many sources laying out the facts including this story:
What really happened when Biden forced out Ukraine's top prosecutor

As has been mentioned above, what Joe Biden did was done completely in the open and many Republican law makers applauded it at the time, as did American allies.

What Trump did was withhold aid authorized by Congress and asked the Ukraine to do a personal favor to him in exchange for carrying out the duty he was obligated to do by law. There is ample evidence that the hoops the Trump administration jumped through to hold up the aid were so extreme two civil servants who would normally be handling this sort of thing resigned over it citing they were being asked to break the law. There are witnesses to the July 25th phone call who have testified that they were very concerned about Trump's behavior on the phone call.

In short Trump asked the Ukraine to do him a favor that would benefit him personally (announce they were going to investigate his political opponent) in exchange for his legal duty to deliver aid authorized by Congress. His administration went to extremes to hold up that aid illegally.

In the theory of an absolute monarch, the monarch and the state are the same thing. What the monarch wants is what the state wants and there is no distinction. This was common in the 18th century, but the US Constitution was specifically constructed to separate the individual serving as head of state from the country itself. The head of state under US law is obligated to serve the needs of the whole. There is a lot of leeway in this and most presidents have skated the line, but at the end of the day no president has tried to be an absolute monarch anything close to what Trump has tried.

There is no evidence that the Obama administration, or any other, has tied foreign aid to personal gain anything like Donald Trump did. There are many times foreign policy has been done in such ways to try and help the party in power. IMO, this is not good, but it's in the gray zone legally. By asking a foreign power to do something to help him directly in an election, he both solicited a bribe and asked a foreign power to interfere in a US election, which is another crime.

The laws on what constitutes domestic meddling in US elections have loopholes exploited by many, but the foreign interference part of US election law is pretty clear.

Your arguments about this boil down to conservative media what aboutism that completely contradicts or warps both the facts and the law.

Previous presidents have committed impeachable offenses and got away with it. But we are dealing with the crimes of the current president and the case laid out thus far is very clear if you understand the law at all. The few legal experts who disagree with Trump's guilt have excessively weak arguments for their position.

There is a saying among lawyers that
If you have the law on your side pound the law
If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts
If you have neither, pound the table

The Republican/conservative media talking points amount to a lot of table pounding. The rest of the legal world has been touting both facts and laws. The job of conservative media is to sow some doubt and provide some wiggle room for the Republicans, but every time they try a new tactic, facts prove them fools.

• Love
Reactions: Unpilot and Norbert
No. Living it has been hard enough, except for the last 16 years with my wife. With her its been Nirvana.
The movie “Arrival” is based upon it. The lady becomes able to live at any time in her lifetime randomly and regards “time” differently, similar to Billy Pilgrim in Slaughterhouse 5, kinda. Vaguely like “time travelers wife” but not, eh. (You might like “froth upon a Dirac sea”.
(I roomed with and traveled with EssEff authors)

Last edited:
Stupid question... Didn't Biden coerce Ukraine, to get his son off the hook, and use US authority to do so? Wouldn't we call US Aide "Bribery"? Asking for a friend?

See the USA Today link in my post above. No, he did nothing to get his son off the hook. That is just a Republican talking point.

Right wing media is good at taking an iota of a fact, and either making it look far bigger than it is and/or twisting it into something sinister looking when the facts do not back up their assertions.

A good book for separating fact from spin by a former Reagan and George HW Bush official:
https://www.amazon.com/Truth-Matter...words=the+truth+matters&qid=1575504980&sr=8-2

If you want to understand the impeachment better:
https://terikanefield-blog.com/

Reactions: JRP3
The movie “Arrival” is based upon it. The lady becomes able to live at any time in her lifetime randomly and regards “time” differently, similar to Billy Pilgrim in Slaughterhouse 5, kinda. Vaguely like “time travelers wife” but not, eh. (You might like “froth upon a Dirac sea”.
(I roomed with and traveled with EssEff authors)

Time as a deterministic sequence of events where the present contains the future unless changed by awareness (not by will).

Reactions: winfield100
This is pure supposition on your part, without proof. There is already some proof out there about the Bidens.

Here's another thing, the Trump kids don't NEED the self dealing. If anything they have drastically cut back any international business since he has been elected, which is costing them money, simply not to appear to be using the office for anything it wasn't intended for.
You are literally repeating what Trump says !

Checkout the new deals in Pune and other places.

Here's the thing: foreign POLICY is 100% exclusively granted to the President. Doesn't matter if the Republicans were in power in the House and Senate, they don't get to set that policy, at all. Biden's statements, on tape, were a reflection of the Obama administration, and at the time he made those statements he was the #2 guy.
FP is not 100% Presidential. That is BS.

This Ukraine aid was passed by Congress. Congress has to declare wars. Congress has to approve treaties. Looks like you are just listening to talking heads on cable. I've not listened to cable news since they parroted Iraq war propaganda that has killed a million people.

And, Trump could have easily vetoed the aid to Ukraine if he thought they were corrupt. Or he could have declared publicly he doesn't want to give aid to Ukraine until they did something about corruption. That is not what he did - he used his personal lawyer - Giuliani, to put pressure on Ukraine to announce an investigation on Biden. No, he didn't care about the investigation per se - but more about the investigation. He thought just as he won by constantly talking about Hillary emails, he can do the same thing with Biden by constantly talking about his "investigation" by Ukraine.

Oh BTW, Trump is not saying Biden did it too. He is saying his "do us a favor" had nothing to do with Biden probe. This has been the problem for people who support Trump. Trump comes out the next day and destroys whatever talking points has fans have been using ;)

When I said, in my phone call to the President of Ukraine, “I would like you to do US a favor though because our country has been through a lot and Ukraine knows a lot about it.” With the word “us” I am referring to the United States, our Country. I then went on to say that......

...”I would like to have the Attorney General (of the United States) call you or your people.....” This, based on what I have seen, is their big point - and it is no point at a all (except for a big win for me!). The Democrats should apologize to the American people!​

Last edited:
She might have so done...but remember that likely is essay writer Marc Thiessen’s wet dream. He is a Fellow at the A.E.I - and whether or not he supports #45, he dearly would love to see the Democrats crash and burn.

• Informative
We can only hope. She should have started impeachment proceedings much sooner. She's a weak "centrist".

She's been trying to protect her most vulnerable members all year. She's drawn a sharp line that while Trump's policies of locking illegals in cages and other things are terrible, they boil down to political differences and at best the crimes committed are hard to pin on Trump directly. Here they have clear cut crimes that go right back to Trump. Crimes that put the United States and its allies at risk.

She knows getting a conviction in the Senate is a long shot, but she knows the Democrats need an overwhelmingly strong case and they need to sell it to the public. Trump's base and the hardcore Republicans in Congress are a lost cause. They are putting country in front of party and that is unlikely to change. The people who need to be convinced are the people who normally avoid politics between presidential elections. They need to sell those people on the fact that Trump is not only a criminal, he's a criminal who will endanger the country to help himself.

They may not be able to reach these people before the impeachment vote in the Senate, but these people tend to start tuning into politics around the party conventions in election years and they will be handed a massive dose of evidence that Trump not only committed major crimes, his lackeys in the Senate gave him a by, making the reelection of Republican senators tougher.

There are also more shoes to drop. One of the articles of impeachment is almost certainly going to be obstruction of Congress. Trump has been more obstructive than any president in history. And rulings are going to be coming down about Trump's attempts to prevent any of his people from testifying, and SCOTUS will almost certainly rule in Congress's favor, if they don't AWOP the appeal (deny hearing it which leaves the appellate court's ruling stand). That could mean that the masters trying the case in the Senate could call anybody from the administration they want as a witness in the trial and McConnell's only move will be to have a public vote on whether to help Trump obstruct Congress or not. The optics will be horrible for McConnell and he knows it.

That's another reason why McConnell wanted the impeachment trail done ASAP. He wanted it over before SCOTUS can rule on the cases because he has a pretty good idea what the rulings will be.

A GOP senate insider has leaked that if the vote to remove was a secret vote and not private, there would be 35 GOP votes to remove. If McConnell wants the trial over as fast as possible, that's one way to do it. Hear one of the impeachment counts, have a secret vote, if the vote is to remove, it's all over and Pence is president.

That's another reason why McConnell wanted the impeachment trail done ASAP. He wanted it over before SCOTUS can rule on the cases because he has a pretty good idea what the rulings will be.

A GOP senate insider has leaked that if the vote to remove was a secret vote and not private, there would be 35 GOP votes to remove. If McConnell wants the trial over as fast as possible, that's one way to do it. Hear one of the impeachment counts, have a secret vote, if the vote is to remove, it's all over and Pence is president.

35? That's quite a number.

Also it's not like T is suddenly going to stop heading for the next 'scandal'. He is longing for the opposite. If they let him get away this time, they will be blamed next time.

35? That's quite a number.

Also it's not like T is suddenly going to stop heading for the next 'scandal'. He is longing for the opposite. If they let him get away this time, they will be blamed next time.

Upthread many pages back I commented that Rick Wilson has said from his contacts in the GOP that virtually all the GOP Senators hate Trump. I think he said one may actually like him (I think it was Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio). AudobonB chimed in that he knew a couple of US Senators and pretty much confirmed it.

Elected GOP officials are scared to death of Trump's base. Many of them are just blowhards who will issue empty death threats, but there is a contingent, probably larger than the same demographic in the general population who would act on their death threats. Some of them have already tried things like the letter bomb terrorist.

They are kissing up to Trump because they know Trump's base is going to make up a large percentage of the primary voters they have to face and many have problems with being primaried from the right. Lindsey Graham when on his orange backside kissing tour not long after a conservative talk radio host that makes Hannity look sane announced he might run against Graham.

Even those who aren't running for reelection in 2020 are scared of his base because there are violent members who would try to take out a "traitor" Senator.

CNN and MSNBC has a number of former Republican politicians who don't plan to hold office again. Almost unanimously they voice their concern and dislike of Trump.

The Republicans also have Reagan's 11th commandment: A Republican holding office should never say anything bad about another Republican holding office. It did bring a new degree of discipline to the party and helped them present a united front, but it allows crazy politicians to spout all sorts of nutty things and it has allowed a very dangerous nut to win and hold the presidency.

Upthread many pages back I commented that Rick Wilson has said from his contacts in the GOP that virtually all the GOP Senators hate Trump. I think he said one may actually like him (I think it was Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio). AudobonB chimed in that he knew a couple of US Senators and pretty much confirmed it.

Elected GOP officials are scared to death of Trump's base. Many of them are just blowhards who will issue empty death threats, but there is a contingent, probably larger than the same demographic in the general population who would act on their death threats. Some of them have already tried things like the letter bomb terrorist.

They are kissing up to Trump because they know Trump's base is going to make up a large percentage of the primary voters they have to face and many have problems with being primaried from the right. Lindsey Graham when on his orange backside kissing tour not long after a conservative talk radio host that makes Hannity look sane announced he might run against Graham.

Even those who aren't running for reelection in 2020 are scared of his base because there are violent members who would try to take out a "traitor" Senator.

CNN and MSNBC has a number of former Republican politicians who don't plan to hold office again. Almost unanimously they voice their concern and dislike of Trump.

The Republicans also have Reagan's 11th commandment: A Republican holding office should never say anything bad about another Republican holding office. It did bring a new degree of discipline to the party and helped them present a united front, but it allows crazy politicians to spout all sorts of nutty things and it has allowed a very dangerous nut to win and hold the presidency.

You keep talking about Republicans but I don't think the Democrats have even convinced independents to impeach based on the polls I've seen.

It's not even assured they'll get all House Democrats to vote for impeachment or all Senate Democrats to vote to convict.

Status
Not open for further replies.