Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market value for Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my plan! As soon as I find an ultra red plaid in the 75k range, I’m going for it.
The depreciation from that point forward will be nice and slow.

With Tesla's you never know. I bet people that bought at the low $100's thought they were geniuses.

I think everyone and their mom know that cars are not investments but this artificial depreciation is ridiculous. To me it is not a good look for the brand; Tesla is not going to be seen as a Toyota, Honda or Lexus brand as far as holding their value and because they are good cars but it is going to be compared to Kia, Hyundai and Fiat. Tesla just became the appliance Walmart brand that makes throw away cars.

Tesla refuses to advertise to increase their customer base and it is pissing of their current customer instead with the radical price changes. All the models have been affected by these price cuts. Model Y owners are screwed specially those that paid $80k for their cars. I have seen 2018 Model 3 owners getting $12k trade-in offers from Tesla with 70k miles. FSD for resale is worth essentially nothing. I bet customer loyalty was affected, mine was and this is after 4 Tesla's in my family and I can easily afford these cars.

Elon keeps blaming inflation and that he needs to increase affordability but the price cuts do not reflect that. The price delta and interest rate delta on for instance the Model S Plaid from 2021 to now is $30k at the end of life of the loan. Hopefully new customers from here and on get a more stable pricing.

Reactions: jpk195
The problem is people considering cars investments. If they saw them for what they are (the single largest depreciating asset most will own... the higher the price, the greater the depreciation) they make wiser decisions instead of trying to impress everyone behind the mentality "gotta treat yo self... yolo!" and only considering if they can afford the payment or not. If you cared at all about finances you wouldn't buy a new car of any brand.... especially at $150k.
Why the hell you keep talking about investment. Stop bending to elmo!!

We all have bought high end expensive cars that all depricate. Never considered one as investment (around 1 mil total). You just estimate depreciation and plan to protect yourself.

Couple of VPs that i know at some of banks that Tesla uses are seriously considering pulling out as all those cars from the last 2 years are unsecured loans now, or expext to pay massive GAP insurance fees that they will force everyone to pay.

This is my plan! As soon as I find an ultra red plaid in the 75k range, I’m going for it.
The depreciation from that point forward will be nice and slow.

this the smartest way to buy a tesla on a budget. If you’re concerned about depreciation, let it take the massive hit it WILL take 12-18 months after release when the deep price cuts start to happen. It’s like clockwork. If you want to save $, that’s the way to do it.

downside is you’re driving a used car vs new, you need to wait vs having the hot new thing, etc. But if you’re a smart money person vs a live for today person, buying 2yrs+ old slightly used is the way to do it, you get 90% of the car for 60% of the price.

With Tesla's you never know. I bet people that bought at the low $100's thought they were geniuses.

I think everyone and their mom know that cars are not investments but this artificial depreciation is ridiculous. To me it is not a good look for the brand; Tesla is not going to be seen as a Toyota, Honda or Lexus brand as far as holding their value and because they are good cars but it is going to be compared to Kia, Hyundai and Fiat. Tesla just became the appliance Walmart brand that makes throw away cars.

Tesla refuses to advertise to increase their customer base and it is pissing of their current customer instead with the radical price changes. All the models have been affected by these price cuts. Model Y owners are screwed specially those that paid $80k for their cars. I have seen 2018 Model 3 owners getting $12k trade-in offers from Tesla with 70k miles. FSD for resale is worth essentially nothing. I bet customer loyalty was affected, mine was and this is after 4 Tesla's in my family and I can easily afford these cars.

Elon keeps blaming inflation and that he needs to increase affordability but the price cuts do not reflect that. The price delta and interest rate delta on for instance the Model S Plaid from 2021 to now is $30k at the end of life of the loan. Hopefully new customers from here and on get a more stable pricing.
I guess if you care about depreciation, wait 2/2.5 years to buy a new model or refresh. I’m guessing in 2 years, people who buy highland 3 in a couple of months will be complaining about depreciation of their cars too. Just look at threads in Y forums or even M3 forums from late 2019, early 2020 threads

What many people don’t understand is that you can sell your car at a huge discount, but also buy a new car at a huge discount. Like real estate, when you sell a house you are probably going to buy another to replace it. It doesn’t matter what you originally paid, as long as the price of the new asset has gone down proportionately which it has

Agree - I've been driving an S for 10 years and the "cost per year" to do so has remained fairly constant so far. Every 4 years I spend about $40K to move to the current model and nothing has really changed with the new pricing. High new car price= high trade in value; low new car price = low trade in value - all that matters to me is the difference I have to pay to get a new car.

This price decrease is also obviously better for first time buyers, but does hit people hard who finance cars with long term loans and are locked in underwater or think of a car as an asset and/or want to sell it for cash.

A local dealer seems to think used is worth more than new. It's been for sale since April of last year! Dealer info blocked out as I wouldn't want anyone to jump ahead of me to purchase....lol.

1693939721291.png

If it’s that bad why wait for another year to use it, why not put it up for sale so you have a peace of mind. I just got my first Tesla model S and I haven’t noticed any problems with it as it serves me well, probably with time I’ll get to see it from your view as I’m new to the Tesla world, lol

If it’s that bad why wait for another year to use it, why not put it up for sale so you have a peace of mind. I just got my first Tesla model S and I haven’t noticed any problems with it as it serves me well, probably with time I’ll get to see it from your view as I’m new to the Tesla world, lol
Good for you, if you want to enjoy your car even more, stop reading forum posts, especially the one about vibrations

LMFAO, i think you have no clue how Insurance companies and used market estimate car prices!! MSRP is huge factor into the equation.

How insurance companies assess prices can vary by state but in general, are based on selling price, current market prices, etc. depending on the circumstances. The "used car market" estimates car prices based on results of auctions, dealer sales, private sales, etc. MSRP is NOT necessarily a huge factor in the equation.

Lease Teslas. They are like iPhones. Obsolete after 3-4 years max.
This. We are in the midst of a double, high-speed technology revolution. Things we took for granted for decades - the rate and degree of change in vehicle technology; the rate of manufacturing improvement - don’t hold true anymore.

Tesla introduces about a dozen running changes on the production line every week. They relentlessly innovate for more efficient production. This lowers cost and permits the company to stay profitable as they drop list price.

If you’re worried about depreciation then lease.

FWIW - I recently finished the loan on our 2017 Model S. I expect to replace it mid-2024 when FSD on HW 4 will likely surpass FSD on my car’s HW 3. Don’t know whether I will trade it in or keep it for my grandsons, who will be getting closer to driving age by then.

How insurance companies assess prices can vary by state but in general, are based on selling price, current market prices, etc. depending on the circumstances. The "used car market" estimates car prices based on results of auctions, dealer sales, private sales, etc. MSRP is NOT necessarily a huge factor in the equation.
I think you have no idea how financial institutions estimate asset prices. MSRP is a factor as it is a start point to calculate depreciation or appreciation based on market trends. Go and do this experiment and get KBB trade in estimate for 10 cars that are 1 year old with 12k miles and see what percentage you get off the MSRP.

Anyone buying a production car assuming a profit (yes, even the Plaid is really nothing special - just a regular 'ol production car) -- is fooling themselves.

Production cars aren't, have never been, and never will be appreciating assets. Best to think of it as consumable by the mile.

And once you accept that, drive the hell out of it and enjoy it.

If you want an investment, try gold.
So then what is an acceptable amount of depreciation in a year?

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd