Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Market value for Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The trend I’m seeing in this thread is expecting new Tesla buyers to know everything about the car and all the ways owning one is different that a typical car. As if it’s not Tesla’s problem at all to market and explain their products in a straightforward way. I don’t agree with that, and I absolutely get why after experiences like this people decide to buy something else next time. Trying to pin the blame on these folks serves no purpose that I can see.

(I don’t take issue with this quote in particular, but it’s the most recent example of that trend I see).
Yeah his comment is “interesting” and typical to what you get from fans.

“Tesla is not a car it is special” is just hilarious 😆 , lets see where that car but not car company will be in 10 years. And wait till people realize they will get less than 30% Residual value when they wanna trade in their cars!

The trend I’m seeing in this thread is expecting new Tesla buyers to know everything about the car and all the ways owning one is different that a typical car. As if it’s not Tesla’s problem at all to market and explain their products in a straightforward way. I don’t agree with that, and I absolutely get why after experiences like this people decide to buy something else next time. Trying to pin the blame on these folks serves no purpose that I can see.

(I don’t take issue with this quote in particular, but it’s the most recent example of that trend I see).
Tesla’s problem and marketing? They literally outlined the plan and published it to ALL over 10 years ago in their master plan. Keep reducing prices as production ramps up. Not make cars collectibles that appreciate in value forever.

Attachments

• IMG_0549.png
    IMG_0549.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 59
I wish you and @TLLMRRJ are correct. However, I do not have a way to sign the paperwork that only gives them the permission to only tear down the car instead of repairing it. The repair shop has sent me paperwork asking permission to start the "repair" and the insurance company has already issued a check for $15,900 😬
Bro i think the body shop is going to ask for more $ eventually. Your hit is definately a total loss tbh. Shops want to make $ and they make nothing on a total loss.

I’d ask the shop for a full detailed breakdown of the parts they are sourcing as oem original (new) and not off some salvage wrecked tesla to save costs. Your insurance should have clauses stipulating whether it can repaired with Afmrkwt or original parts. I suspect the cost of parts alone will be 16k. And being an aluminum frame, and new susp parts you’ll need…I doubt it will never drive the same once repaired. This is a Plaid…a rocket on wheels with carefully calibrated tech/machinery from the factory. No aftermarket body shop can hope to replicate the calibration. Body damage? Sure.

All used car prices for every brand across the board have dropped significantly post covid where the market was insane…..

Neighbor bought a brand new in 2017 Mercedes s65 ( coupe) msrp was 241K ………..
He sold it a few months back with 37K miles for 70K …. Post Covid used car prices were all time crazy high. The market is catching up along with the supply chain. It is what it is.

Bro i think the body shop is going to ask for more $ eventually. Your hit is definately a total loss tbh. Shops want to make $ and they make nothing on a total loss.

I’d ask the shop for a full detailed breakdown of the parts they are sourcing as oem original (new) and not off some salvage wrecked tesla to save costs. Your insurance should have clauses stipulating whether it can repaired with Afmrkwt or original parts. I suspect the cost of parts alone will be 16k. And being an aluminum frame, and new susp parts you’ll need…I doubt it will never drive the same once repaired. This is a Plaid…a rocket on wheels with carefully calibrated tech/machinery from the factory. No aftermarket body shop can hope to replicate the calibration. Body damage? Sure.
I wish you're right. So far I am not seeing them salvage the car in any way, shape or form. They did mention the cost might be more due to more parts that need to be supplemented but no mention of total loss yet. I am upset that it is taking them this long. They are wanting me to sign the paperwork to start the repair process which I have not because I don't think it is repairable. I do not know what to do here. Might need to hire an attorney or an outside adjuster.

I know from my service and a few others posting similar that the Tesla shop I had major work done at said they were not allowed to use Any used parts for repair. Only the main battery Could be evaluated as reconditioned If the mileage allowed. All this is mute if the OP is having this done at some DIY repair shop.

I wish you're right. So far I am not seeing them salvage the car in any way, shape or form. They did mention the cost might be more due to more parts that need to be supplemented but no mention of total loss yet. I am upset that it is taking them this long. They are wanting me to sign the paperwork to start the repair process which I have not because I don't think it is repairable. I do not know what to do here. Might need to hire an attorney or an outside adjuster.
I’d let your insurance know that you are or convinced the car can be repaired fully in this estimate. And speak to the shop itself and alt them know ‘quietly’ that you’d prefer this written off. Sometimes getting the right guy and ‘scratching his back’ may help.

Usually if I’m in an accident, I have it towed ti a friendly repair shop I know. This way they work with you instead of against.

Attorney prob cannot do anything as this stage. You need to let the shop know you don’t agree repairing it and would like the write off.

• Informative
Reactions: umair239
I know from my service and a few others posting similar that the Tesla shop I had major work done at said they were not allowed to use Any used parts for repair. Only the main battery Could be evaluated as reconditioned If the mileage allowed. All this is mute if the OP is having this done at some DIY repair shop.
I am having it done at a Tesla authorized shop in the area. (Oxmoor Collision Repair Center - Louisville KY). This is one of the two certified places here. I contacted the repair shop and told them I am not authorizing the repair until I get the full extent of damages as I did not see a lot of things in the estimate that was provided by my insurance company. Their agent confirmed it in writing that the estimate was only based by the Insurance company estimator based off of one picture and that the actual estimate will be different than that. I told them I will authorize them to tear down the vehicle to get the full extent of damage and then reach out. They confirmed that they legally have to have my and the insurance company's permission to start the repair. So I guess, that's a good sign for now. I simply don't think it will be the same car especially all the structural damage to the metal framework in the front. I will also pick up the metal bar that fell out after the crash from the front frame, it's still on the road haha

November of 2020 I went through this with a 2019 Nissan Leaf SL Plus in Florida. Body shop told me it was just a matter of mathematics whether it would be totalled or not. State Farm said damage has to exceed 70% of the current value of the car. The initial estimate was about 60% of the value. I told the body shop my preference was that it not be repaired. it be declared a total loss and not be returned to me.

Our car was hit by a unlicensed, uninsured meth head who was charged with the accident being she ran a red light. I had to file with my insurance under collision coverage.

Body shop was waiting to authorization to tear it apart and determine what additional damage there was.

There was potential that there was a crease in the roof and the roof might need to be removed and replaced. If that were the case it would definitely be a total loss.

I talked to the State Farm rep on the phone when they were getting ready to authorize a tear down. I mentioned that the roof may need to come off per the body shop. The rep put me on hold and called the body shop. 5 minutes later I was on a 3 way call and State Farm declared it a total loss. 10 minutes later while on hold SF came back and offered a price that they would pay. It was more than fair. It was enough to buy a new 2020 with sales tax, registration fees etc for $5k less than a brand new 2020 would cost. With the tax credit on the 2020 I would come out $2,500 ahead so I jumped on it. 10 minutes later after verbal OK SF transferred the money to my bank account.

Later SF recovered our deductible from the other party and sent to to us.

The car was lein free. I had to provide SF a copy of the registration, a copy of the Title and copy of our Driver licenses.

Reactions: umair239
November of 2020 I went through this with a 2019 Nissan Leaf SL Plus in Florida. Body shop told me it was just a matter of mathematics whether it would be totalled or not. State Farm said damage has to exceed 70% of the current value of the car. The initial estimate was about 60% of the value. I told the body shop my preference was that it not be repaired. it be declared a total loss and not be returned to me.

Our car was hit by a unlicensed, uninsured meth head who was charged with the accident being she ran a red light. I had to file with my insurance under collision coverage.

Body shop was waiting to authorization to tear it apart and determine what additional damage there was.

There was potential that there was a crease in the roof and the roof might need to be removed and replaced. If that were the case it would definitely be a total loss.

I talked to the State Farm rep on the phone when they were getting ready to authorize a tear down. I mentioned that the roof may need to come off per the body shop. The rep put me on hold and called the body shop. 5 minutes later I was on a 3 way call and State Farm declared it a total loss. 10 minutes later while on hold SF came back and offered a price that they would pay. It was more than fair. It was enough to buy a new 2020 with sales tax, registration fees etc for $5k less than a brand new 2020 would cost. With the tax credit on the 2020 I would come out $2,500 ahead so I jumped on it. 10 minutes later after verbal OK SF transferred the money to my bank account.

Later SF recovered our deductible from the other party and sent to to us.

The car was lein free. I had to provide SF a copy of the registration, a copy of the Title and copy of our Driver licenses.
Yeah, I'm waiting on the body shop to provide their estimate. I don't think State Farm will do the same what they did for you over the phone call especially when Plaid is a very expensive car and the state's regulation of having at least 75% damage means my car has to need at least 60k worth of repairs. Which I doubt will happen.

At 1.9 interst. I financed at 5 years MSRP was 125. Put 15% down and i have 25% Gap through my insurance AND I am for sure upside down. U will need come with the diff if you sell. So the new purcahse price is not discounted anymore.

Lol I can pay the car full today, it just sucks that this brand loves to screw its customers. I had AMGs and other German high end expensive cars that will depreciate 60% in 4 year but not in 1 year like this :)
You got the car you wanted at a price you agreed to. Most cars you buy depreciate ~20% the second you drive it off the lot simply because you bought retail and the dealer can buy one at wholesale, so you trade-in is based on wholesale minus the fact the car is not new anymore, has fixed options, etc. Yes the MSRP drop hurt your resale some, but you expected to drive this car for 5 years, so drive it. The difference at the end of those 5 years will not be that great.

Since you like German brand examples, here is one for you:
Top trim of the Porsche Taycan (just like your Plaid is trim for Model S), the car was less ~ 6 months old, original MSRP $227K, bidding got up to $171K (reserve not met), dealer trade-in ~$150K (got numbers from discussions on Taycan forum and FB where the guy had it posted for $185K). And you know what, Porsche actually raised MSRP for 2024 Taycans. Top trim case drop like a stone in price once you get them (guess what, I got a Taycan Turbo, I am not kidding myself about its trade-in value, but I honestly don't care, as I didn't buy it to sell it, I love driving it too much - yes, I chose it over Plaid even though it costed a lot more money, even with the Plaid old prices, and is slower 0-60).

So bottom line, enjoy your car. You obviously love the car or you would not have shelled out $125K for it. Don't let the fact that someone else can now buy the same car for less ruin the experience for you. I bought 4 Model S'es over a decade, and have experienced price drops after I bought mine on couple of them, but it really didn't ruin it for me - one was a price drop after just 2 months, so be it. If Porsche suddenly started selling new Taycan Turbos for $10K, I would not complain, I would love it and buy more of them (for wife, kids, parents, inlaws), probably a spare one for me. It would be so much easier for me if all the family members drove the same car - I am their car support guy. Also, the more of them out there, the easier it is to get replacement parts. ;)

PS> Look on the bright side, you got 1.9% interest. Rates are much higher today. Compare $0 down lease on a Plaid today vs. your payment, it might make you feel better. Current high inflation helps you there too (though probably not in your daily living).

Last edited:
Reactions: yerEVan and ginmqi
Every manufacturer responds to the market like this. They just do it in ways that are more opaque to spare your feelings. The end result is exactly the same.
^THIS. An example from a German brand (since @Ash83 seem to think they are good examples of how to handle pricing). Audi eTron GT RS - top Audi EV trim. MSRP had not gone down since last year, but there is $35K or more in incentives and additional dealer discounts available to day to buy them today. What's better, drop the MSRP by $35K or offer $35K in manufacturer incentives? Answer, it does not matter, other than to protect feelings of people who don't understand how it works - resale values drop just as much. Some people just prefer to be uninformed I guess.

PS> Full disclosure, I sold my last Tesla 2 months ago after 4 Model S in 10 years, so there were valid reasons for me to switch brands (yoke, rounded or not, topping the list), but Tesla being transparent in their pricing is not one of them.

PS2> Those same Audi eTron GT RS'es were selling at $25K over MSRP a year and half ago, So imagine the angst of people who paid $60K+ more than what you can buy a new one for today! That was COVID car bubble, where all used cars went up 40% year-to-year in the United States. :rolleyes: I had to buy a car for one of my kids then, which burned me a lot, as it was the only time I overpaid for a car (IMO) - paid more than MSRP for a 2 year old car with 3K miles on it. But I made piece with it, that was the (CRAZY) market back then. I held out to buy my Taycan under MSRP (since I wanted to buy it, didn't need to buy it, which has been my golden rule for decades - buy cars when you want one, never wait until you need one).

Last edited:
Exactly. People getting mad because Tesla is actually transparent and "equal" in that they have no dealership network that gouges customers so its one price for everyone.

The anger of pricing for legacy automakers are distributed across thinly all over the USA due to the dealership networks that band together to legally protect themselves from being outcompeted by the free market and everyone person in USA pays a diff price for their Toyota/Ford/etc. and is completely non-transparent vs a Tesla purchase
No kidding. Some dealers are still trying to perpetuate the COVID market bubble. I bought an new car last month. The window sticker had $5,000 ADM (Additional Dealer Markup) in the price on the window sticker! For about 2 minutes the sales person tried to tell me that is what they sell for. I told him straight up "up to ~6 months ago, sure, but today, plenty of your competition is advertising online with factory discounts, so shall we start negotiating at MSRP minus the factory discounts, or should I take my business elsewhere?". We immediately restarted negotiations at under MSRP. At least with Tesla, it's open pricing to everyone, there is no showroom trying to sell you Model S Plaid for $140K (COVID price)., then jack up your interest rate, sell you forced products, etc. I left Tesla brand, at least for now, for a number of reasons, but having bought A LOT of cars in my life, I will take Tesla buying experience over any other brand. That, their software UX, OTA capabilities, charging network, and mobile service - nobody comes close today.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
State Farm said damage has to exceed 70% of the current value of the car. The initial estimate was about 60% of the value. I told the body shop my preference was that it not be repaired. it be declared a total loss and not be returned to me.

Why? I had one of those, totaled a 1 year old Model S, it was files under "uninsured motorist" coverage, not collision (difference being it does not affect renewal prices). Also State Farm. Was it because you could not prove fault? In our case we had dashcam footage which clearly proved fault, even though they never caught the person responsible (4K dashcam, not Tesla one, clearly showing the person, their car and license plate, she was obviously intoxicated, ran from the accident, was a Native American so jurisdiction problems and hiding on some reservation as far as the investigator got). Uninsured motorist coverage also covered my deductible.

Last edited:
There are a LOT of fanboy responses in here that give Tesla/Elon the ability to engage in unprecedented price drops with impunity.
I call BS. I don't even have Teslas anymore (have my own reasons to have left the brand after 10 years). All manufacturers adjust prices, Tesla just does it openly and transparently. Audi eTron GT RS (Audi's top EV, like MS Plaid), you can get $35K in manufacturer discounts if you know where to look, Tesla just took $35K off MSRP so you don't have to do your research to know the factory incentives. Resale values drop just as much.

There are still dealers trying to sell the eTron GT for MSRP + ADM (Additional Dealer Markup), I guess waiting for people like you, who will walk in to be told the car is MSRP+$25K, then be offered a "take it now of never deal" of only $5K over MSRP, not realizing dealer pockets the $5K ADM and $35K in factory incentives. They would jack your interest rate on loan or least too, you'd probably never even know. You might just be the ideal dealer target demographic.

Reactions: CleanDemon
My question is what do I need to do if I have taken a loan out on the vehicle with no gap insurance completely upside down I can’t even drive the car because thinking they’re going to give me peanuts.
If you get into an accident and car can be repaired, insurance pays for it. If the car is totaled, you have a bit of a problem, but essentially insurance pays for replacement (which is much cheaper, but still replaces your car same model and options) which you can continue driving, while you are still responsible for the original loan. Yes, it can get complicated as you might have to finance the gap at today's interest rates, but that is the same for all other cars. Imagine someone buying an eTron GT for $25K over sticker a year and half ago. Today the MSRP is same, but there are $35K worth of factory incentives to be had, plus dealer discounts, so buyers are in the exact same situation - COVID car market was a crazy bubble unlikely to repeat any time soon. I know of people who traded their 2 year old cars for more than MSRP they paid for, and that included $25K Toyotas or $200K Porsches. At the end of 2021 Porsche dealers were offering deposit + $5K cash to simply walkaway from their order for people who ordered new Taycans and were about to take delivery. So if you ordered your Taycan in 2020, placed a $5K deposit, dealer would give you $10K or more to cancel your order (so they can resell your customized car for more money).

The problem is people considering cars investments.
COVD car market bubble actually convinced some people that is the case. I participate in Taycan forums, where some people during COVID would trade their 2 years old cars at above MSRP they paid. Those were a lucky few who planned to swap cars after 2 yeas so they pre-ordered a new one. Others assumed that is the norm, you buy a Taycan, you drive it 2 years, you buy a new one with same option and get a check from the dealer. Then the market started coming back to normal, a bunch of panicked, disgruntled customers complaining they cannot trade in their 2 year old cars for a new one without adding a lot of money into the deal.

I remember looking at the crazy prices with my son, He realized he could trade his 3 year old Corolla for new one at MSRP for $1,000 or less. The problem of course was there was no new Corollas available for sale at MSRP. A fried of a family's son sold his gaming graphics card to someone who offered him more money that the new top of the line cars MSRP was, so he jumped at the offer, only to despair a day later when realizing the new graphics card would cost him $2000 over MSRP on ebay, since no stores had them in stock. He ended up buying a lesser card for the money he got for his original. COVID pandemic was a crazy, crazy time.

People get used to good stuff easily, then freak out when good times end. There is a good book on the subject titled "Who moved my cheese?".

Reactions: Yelobird
@whitex so you are saying it is ok for a car company to fluctuate the price that 2 years of buyers roughly lost 40-50% of care value in 1 year compared to industry standard of around 20%? Also the fact that most dealers and car companies refuses to even offer fair trade for Teslas due to the volatility that it created? check online posts and see how many are posted with no offers for long time. So lets be clear what side you are on?

Love how you picked 1 example of bad car that has other issues and how its value dropped (Still not as much as S/X). how about other Porsches 911s, AMGs, M5 ..etc the other 120K cars that i could have bought 2 years ago are having healthy trade values now in the 90s with no problem. also since you did your research by extracting 1 example from other posts, then did you come across the one that said Tesla itself offered 55K for 130K Plaid bought last year?

For real, are you saying MSRP adjustments are the same as dealer incentives!!!!??? You have no clue how financial institutions like insurance companies put value on assets. everything starts from MSRP (not how much you paid for it) then you take into account market conditions and other variables and for Teslas due to this insanity you lost on both fronts (MSRP is down and the market is scared to acquire these assets due to the fact price could drop more)

Finally, yeah I like the car, but I like not getting screwed more. it is not about money, it is about principle!!! I could have totaled the car (100% my fault) and still enjoyed a $500 steak dinner that night because I know it is me who f**ed up not someone else screwed me over.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
@whitex so you are saying it is ok for a car company to fluctuate the price that 2 years of buyers roughly lost 40-50% of care value in 1 year compared to industry standard of around 20%? Also the fact that most dealers and car companies refuses to even offer fair trade for Teslas due to the volatility that it created? check online posts and see how many are posted with no offers for long time. So lets be clear what side you are on?
It is not a matter whether it is ok or, just a matter that everything in the world in on an open market. You could ask the same questions about any product or materials. Is it ok for NASDAQ to drop over 30% in 2022? That's not just a car, that's people's retirements, etc. It's not a matter of ok or not ok, it's supply and demand. Tesla is not going to keep prices at COVID levels if that means not selling cars. COVID pandemic was a car bubble. You happen to have bought at the peak, now it's correct back, it happens. If you purchased a high end graphics card during the pandemic for $4,000, would you be outraged that you won't even get $1,000 for it today?

Love how you picked 1 example of bad car that has other issues and how its value dropped (Still not as much as S/X). how about other Porsches 911s, AMGs, M5 ..etc the other 120K cars that i could have bought 2 years ago are having healthy trade values now in the 90s with no problem. also since you did your research by extracting 1 example from other posts, then did you come across the one that said Tesla itself offered 55K for 130K Plaid bought last year?
Actually I gave you two example or top trim cars (Audi and Porsche), simply because I happen to be familiar with their price history as I was considered buying both of them and actually ended up buying one of them. Want other examples, go check out used prices of top trim Lucid - perhaps a good comparison to Tesla, also an all EV company. Except during exceptional times like during COVID pandemic, top trim cars drop like a stone, with possible exception for some limited production cars like some of the 911's, or Ferraris which makes owners sign a contract to not sell too low. Plaid is neither limited production, nor are owners contractually obligated to not sell them too cheap (or not allowed to sell at all for some time, like Ferrari).

For real, are you saying MSRP adjustments are the same as dealer incentives!!!!??? You have no clue how financial institutions like insurance companies put value on assets. everything starts from MSRP (not how much you paid for it) then you take into account market conditions and other variables and for Teslas due to this insanity you lost on both fronts (MSRP is down and the market is scared to acquire these assets due to the fact price could drop more)
Absolutely, those are incentives from the factory. Are you saying you'd be happier if Tesla made the MSRP on a Plaid a $1M dollars, and just advertised a 91% off sales event? Heck, why not make all Tesla cars a cool million dollar car, and just vary the sales discount. Do you honestly think you'd get an insurance company pay you a million dollars if your was totaled? Not a chance in hell, they'd search for 1 year old Plaids on the market and pay you out based on those comparables, not MSRP.

Finally, yeah I like the car, but I like not getting screwed more. it is not about money, it is about principle!!! I could have totaled the car (100% my fault) and still enjoyed a $500 steak dinner that night because I know it is me who f**ed up not someone else screwed me over.
Maybe it would help you to think of it this way - you bought at the top of a car market bubble, the bubble burst, so you can blame your own timing and feel better. Look on the bright side too, insurance companies will lower insurance rates too if replacement cost for cars drops.

Funny you should mention this. Today’s Wall Street Journal has an article on what mistakes not to make when buying a car. The first item on this list is to know the vehicle you want to purchase. I am an engineer and my natural tendency is to understand the vehicles I purchase. This forum was a great place to learn before I ever pulled the trigger on my order. I did not mean to pin the blame on anyone, but I definitely think that people own their mistakes. If they do not do their research, then they own whatever position they find themselves in; complaining because Tesla changes their pricing structure is ridiculous. People need to own their decisions. Full. Stop.

Reactions: doc333