Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

martian 18" vs 19"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comparing

vs

Besides the cost. What are the trade-offs. 19s look better but 18s will be slightly more comfortable and slightly better mileage? Or is that negligible?

There is very close to zero mileage difference between wheels, however it can be harder to find efficient tires in 19" sizes, but the MXM4 exists in 19" so there is an option if range is important.

The main tradeoffs are:
  • Durability: the 18" wheel has more protection from the thicker sidewall of the tire and so you are less likely to destroy a wheel on a pothole
  • Lap times: the 19" wheels will tend to be a couple tenths quicker on a race track, assuming equally good tires otherwise
  • Comfort: 18 wheels will tend to offer more comfort due to the thicker sidwall
  • Price: 18" tires tend to be cheaper

As always for all of these issues, the particular tire you pick tends to matter more than what wheel diameter you use.

I had the 19" Martians on my Y. I loved the wheels. When I bought my 3 I went with the stock 18" wheels.

If I were to buy a set of aftermarket wheels for the 3, I'd go with 18's again for sure. I'd also be very likely to go with the Martians again in general.

The advantages of the 18's such as efficiency, ride comfort and less likely to have curb issues, far outweigh a very minimal performance gain I might have on the track. That extra sidewall does a lot for better ride quality and it helps the car survive crappy bombed out streets a lot better.

Reactions: ay221
I decided to go with the 19's. I just like the look a lot better. I will eventually get the 18s as well for winter. My Porsche was 235/35-20 fully forged wheels and they did just fine. Hopefully these do as well for a 19 with a 1,000 lbs more vehicle weight.

Comparing

vs

Besides the cost. What are the trade-offs. 19s look better but 18s will be slightly more comfortable and slightly better mileage? Or is that negligible?
Did you end up buying? Would love to see

Yes I went with the 19s. I like them, they work well.
wheel.jpg