Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Wheel and Tire Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious, do we really need a staggered setup in the MYP? I was thinking of going square so I can rotate the tires. Anyone see any performance difference by going square?
Do we “need” a staggered setup? Honestly, I don’t know.

Note: I’m not a racer, though I do drive spiritedly, nor a mechanic. Anything I know is bits and pieces I picked up here and there (mostly Google).

I have an MYP and I have gone square, but primarily because I want to be able to rotate the tires and avoid further curb rashes (already bashed the OE wheels once now). I keep the original wheels and tires for whenever I feel like having some fun or something.

But I’ll throw this out there. According to the Chinese version of the owner’s manual, the height near front wheels is about 167 mm and 166 mm near the rear wheels on the MYP (non-P is 184/182). Keep in mind, this is with staggered wheels. The center of the axle height is about 356 mm front and 363 mm rear.

If you square up the wheels, you end up changing the heights a bit, either raising the front or lowering the rear by about 7 mm. Actually, less because of the measuring location.

This means it goes from a 1 mm negative rake (barely any?), to an 8 mm negative rake. Rake is the angle of the car. Positive rake means nose is lower than tail and of course negative is opposite.

Would that create (more?) lift at the rear? Don’t most people want to reduce lift at the rear? Especially with power going to the rear axle.

Another thing that comes to mind… the rear motor is more powerful than the front motor, so would it make sense to give it a wider tire in the hopes of getting more surface area to put the power to the ground (traction) to get moving? Giving both front and rear axles the same size tires would mean that it could potentially break traction at the rear first if you assume motor output at full blast.

That said, I think for performance, like on a track, having better traction on the rear means you’re less likely to oversteer (out of control) regardless of motor output.

And supposedly, an MYP is geared for track use… or at least more likely than non-performance.

Just curious, do we really need a staggered setup in the MYP? I was thinking of going square so I can rotate the tires. Anyone see any performance difference by going square?
No, the staggered wheels on the Performance Model Y are not needed. Many Performance Model Y owners square up the wheels on their vehicle. The front wheels, tires do not have the required load index for weight and load of the rear axle. You can square up using the rear wheels or better yet (less weight) square up using 18" or 19" aftermarket wheels. You can square up using the Tesla 19" Gemini wheels but Tesla will not sell the Gemini wheels if you own the Performance Model Y so you would have to buy the Gemini wheels second hand.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
No, the staggered wheels on the Performance Model Y are not needed. Many Performance Model Y owners square up the wheels on their vehicle. The front wheels, tires do not have the required load index for weight and load of the rear axle. You can square up using the rear wheels or better yet (less weight) square up using 18" or 19" aftermarket wheels. You can square up using the Tesla 19" Gemini wheels but Tesla will not sell the Gemini wheels if you own the Performance Model Y so you would have to buy the Gemini wheels second hand.
Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking of of going aftermarket with 255/45/19’s but you just mentioned the front tire do not meet the load requirements for the rear axle.

I was thing of going with these, but the load rating are 1.650 lbs per wheel.

Link: 19x9

What do you think? I hate the staggering, because the tires are mad expensive and limited brand availability.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking of of going aftermarket with 255/45/19’s but you just mentioned the front tire do not meet the load requirements for the rear axle.

What do you think? I hate the staggering, because the tires are mad expensive and limited brand availability.
I have no experience with the ET34 wheel, as you stated the wheel has limited availability.

Have you reviewed the TSportline Model Y Wheel Guide?

The Tesla Model Y Wheel Guide

19x9.5 +20 on the '21 MYP...overall rides better and solves some pothole issues. After replacing one rear tire for over $600 decided to get a squared setup.

Attachments

• 20230318_182220.jpg
    20230318_182220.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 369

I just ordered a set of these in the 20 x 9, the 1650 rating is not that concerning to me as I'm thinking the 20" must have a similar load rating, as the rear axle load rating is reduced to just over 3,300 lbs compared to over 3,600 for the gemini wheels and over 3,500 for the MYP staggered fitment, I personally think that unless you are towing or tracking the car then these should be fine, I like the ultra light weight and looks of this fully forged wheel and I am running a Continental DWS06 in a 275/40/20 so tire has 10.8" section width vs. 10" and a 28.7" dia. vs. 28", load range went from a 101 to a 106 so I am able to run 35 psi and have about an 1,800 lb. load range for the tires, car rides more comfy and handles better, range loss when I did this on a model 3 (235 to 255) was about 7% from stock, I really think the tires like this mid 30's psi over 42psi as far as handling goes, I noticed the difference today when I went to the Tesla SC for a home link and they pumped them up.

I just dumped my Uberturbines on my 22 MYP and couldn't be happier. For one, the rear OEM Pirellis were down to 1/8" tread depth after only 6500 miles. I didn't care for the jarring ride, and hated to deal with rim-rash issues. All that is gone now. Stance FS03 19x8.5 wheels (23lb) all around. Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires in 255/45/19. Ride is much smoother. Efficiency is the same. No effect on range. As quiet as the Pirellis. Handles bumps much better and I have at least a little protection from rim-rash. Unique looks! Can't tell if it's quicker off the line, but physics would dictate it has to be true. Best upgrade I've made to date.
What is the load rating of your wheels? Did you ever try using them with high load of cargo(weight) on your MYP?