Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian MW03 wheels installed on new MYP - photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a tough time finding good photos when I was searching for an aftermarket wheel/tire setup that would be lighter and have more sidewall than the stock Uberturbine combo, so I thought I'd post here. These are Martian MW03 19x9.5 (same as stock Gemini size) in Satin Black. No issues with fitment and OE TPMS and stock lugnuts work fine. The wheels include Martian Wheels "MW" center caps, but I ended up ordering an Amazon set of center caps with the white Tesla logo which came with black lugnut covers that fit over the stock lugs).

I've only done a bit of driving so far (and only got the MYP yesterday!), but they do seem to be quieter and smoother over bumps. I guess not surprising when you remove 18 lbs of unsprung weight per wheel!

For tires, I've always put on winters, but now WFH I thought I'd give a set of "all weather" tires a go after hearing Tesla owners raving about Vredesteins, so I'm running some Quatrac Pros in the stock 19" size (255/45). Very interested to see how they do vs the X-Ices I had on my Model 3.

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.25.32 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.25.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.27.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 2.25.48 PM.png

Looks great! The red/black theme really pops with the red calipers and more 'open design' Martian Wheels MW03's.

I also have a red MY with stock 19" Geminis. The ride quality and efficiency is good, but they don't look great even if power-coated black. Do you think it's worth paying $$ to switch to the 19x9.5 MW03's? Or wait until I destroy a wheel or curb rash beyond repair to buy a set of 4 MW03's?

Looking forward to hearing more about the consumption numbers about the MW03's. For those coming from the Geminis (especially with the aero caps), the MW03's may not be an upgrade, at least from the efficiency point of view. We're not removing 18 lbs of unsprung mass per wheel.

They look fabulous. I have read and seen some YouTube testers claim a nice efficiency gain because of the lightweight. Have you noticed any wh/mi gains?

Honestly they went on the morning after I picked up the MYP, so I didn't have a great baseline. I would not be surprised, though! My personal wh/mi carrying the Uberturbines into the basement for storage was not great, though - those things are insanely heavy (like 65-70 lbs each with the tire).

Looks great! The red/black theme really pops with the red calipers and more 'open design' Martian Wheels MW03's.

I also have a red MY with stock 19" Geminis. The ride quality and efficiency is good, but they don't look great even if power-coated black. Do you think it's worth paying $$ to switch to the 19x9.5 MW03's? Or wait until I destroy a wheel or curb rash beyond repair to buy a set of 4 MW03's?

Looking forward to hearing more about the consumption numbers about the MW03's. For those coming from the Geminis (especially with the aero caps), the MW03's may not be an upgrade, at least from the efficiency point of view. We're not removing 18 lbs of unsprung mass per wheel.

Thanks! If you aren't a fan of the Geminis, go for it - you only live once, and you can sorta justify it by reusing the stock tires and TPMS :) Aren't the stock Geminis ~30 lbs each? That would still be a 10 lb/wheel reduction, even if you lose the aero design, so at least should improve ride quality and performance if not effficiency.

A couple of things: 1) you can consider the 19x8.5 instead of 9.5 and still run your stock tires, if you have a habit of kissing curbs and want more protection (and even lighter wheels), and 2) Martian Wheels may have some sort of July 4th promotion, so you may want to wait until then and see if they are having a sale.

• Helpful
Reactions: kishkaru
I had a tough time finding good photos when I was searching for an aftermarket wheel/tire setup that would be lighter and have more sidewall than the stock Uberturbine combo, so I thought I'd post here. These are Martian MW03 19x9.5 (same as stock Gemini size) in Satin Black. No issues with fitment and OE TPMS and stock lugnuts work fine. The wheels include Martian Wheels "MW" center caps, but I ended up ordering an Amazon set of center caps with the white Tesla logo which came with black lugnut covers that fit over the stock lugs).

I've only done a bit of driving so far (and only got the MYP yesterday!), but they do seem to be quieter and smoother over bumps. I guess not surprising when you remove 18 lbs of unsprung weight per wheel!

For tires, I've always put on winters, but now WFH I thought I'd give a set of "all weather" tires a go after hearing Tesla owners raving about Vredesteins, so I'm running some Quatrac Pros in the stock 19" size (255/45). Very interested to see how they do vs the X-Ices I had on my Model 3.

View attachment 675258

View attachment 675260

View attachment 675261

View attachment 675259
Does your kitty have 1 eye?

Those look fantastic, congratulations! I wish Martian would offer an Aero cap for their wheels, then it would be a no brainer for me to get a set myself.

I am thinking of getting a set of 18's of some kind... leaning towards 18" Aero wheels from a 3 with the Rimetrix aftermarket aero caps instead of the stock aero caps. Most of the time I would go "capless", but for long trips I would like the option of aero caps of some kind. With a 235/55/18 tire (28.18") they are damn close to the stock 255/45/19 (28.04") so the speedometer would still be pretty close to on the money.

Any thoughts? I can't see myself sticking with the 21" Uberturbines for long... they will probably end up in the for sale section.

Keith

Those look fantastic, congratulations! I wish Martian would offer an Aero cap for their wheels, then it would be a no brainer for me to get a set myself.

I am thinking of getting a set of 18's of some kind... leaning towards 18" Aero wheels from a 3 with the Rimetrix aftermarket aero caps instead of the stock aero caps. Most of the time I would go "capless", but for long trips I would like the option of aero caps of some kind. With a 235/55/18 tire (28.18") they are damn close to the stock 255/45/19 (28.04") so the speedometer would still be pretty close to on the money.

Any thoughts? I can't see myself sticking with the 21" Uberturbines for long... they will probably end up in the for sale section.

Keith

I'm not sure if the 3's Aero wheels are rated for the weight of the Y.

The 18 aeros are potentially unsafe depending on your load and if you are towing. There are situations where you could overload the rear. See this awesome thread.

I was told the 18's wont fir the P models due to larger brake mechanisms/clearances (SA)
I was told that, and I was told that they do fit. Driving me nuts getting conflicting information. My co-worker has a Model 3 with Aero wheels, I will see if I can convince him to let me test out the swap and see if they fit. I am not going to buy M3 Aero OR MY Gemini (second choice) until I know weather or not the M3 Aero's fit or not.

Keith

I was told that, and I was told that they do fit. Driving me nuts getting conflicting information. My co-worker has a Model 3 with Aero wheels, I will see if I can convince him to let me test out the swap and see if they fit. I am not going to buy M3 Aero OR MY Gemini (second choice) until I know weather or not the M3 Aero's fit or not.

Keith
I REALLY like the 18" Model 3 Aero wheels wheel cover but honestly....18's look tiny on the Y....even 19's are kinda small( and I am not a big rim guy)