Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All 4 wheels finally arrived safely today.
View attachment 562515
W1. Well packaged.

View attachment 562516
W2. TPMS Installed.

View attachment 562517
W3. Label & Engraving

View attachment 562518
W4. Won't be mounted for a while.

I want to put one on the car (Model 3 Performance with big Brembo Brakes) to check clearances. Which would be worst case... front or rear?

View attachment 562519
W5. Included metal MW center caps, plastic lug nut covers, and a nice microfiber towel.

I requested Tesla center caps, but they sent MW, which look to be high quality, machined from an aluminum billet with a green rubber? O-ring to hold them in.

I didn't get a towel :(

But what makes this setup troublesome? As a tire shop, do they encounter this issue often? Or are there certain variables that cause this. I’m just trying to understand the situation to learn more about it.

Just noticed that the knurling is different from the first batch and second batch that got sent out.
TexasTeslaRacing (vertical lines)
a047e63e-c541-4295-8d60-3409eb33f94f-jpeg.553759

TonyJag (Diagonal Lines)
20200709_141456w2-jpg.562516

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Good News - They were able to get the last tire on. They bumped the pressure up to 95 psi and finally got it on.

Bad News - My 21mm socket is too big for the Martian Wheels. What are you guys using to install lug nuts on these?

I did install two of them just to snap a before and after pic though.

MW03_Before.jpg
MW03_After.jpg

Reactions: Tony_YYZ

Bad News - My 21mm socket is too big for the Martian Wheels. What are you guys using to install lug nuts on these?

I am so glad that you brought this up! The 21/22 mm socket that came with my Modern Spare kit won't fit either, because the 22mm end is a bit too big. It barely fits in the stock 20" wheels. All the more reason to use a ratcheting torque wrench to replace both the lug and jack wrenches. The Modern Spare jack didn't work out either. I am doing a story on Modern Spare in another thread and will bring this up.

You must have a thick-walled socket, perhaps impact (black). A deep impact 21mm socket as well as an Astro 21mm socket fit easily in the Martian wheel. The Astro is part of a set of impact sockets with shallow broach and plastic sleeves to protect the wheel and studs. The 21mm, and maybe the 19mm (if I want to use the Modern Spare lug nuts), will henceforth travel in the Tesla.
Astro Pneumatic 7835 5 piece Impact Socket Set Protective Sleeve

Last edited:
I am so glad that you brought this up! The 21/22 mm socket that came with my Modern Spare kit won't fit either, because the 22mm end is a bit too big. It barely fits in the stock 20" wheels. All the more reason to use a ratcheting torque wrench to replace both the lug and jack wrenches. The Modern Spare jack didn't work out either. I am doing a story on Modern Spare in another thread and will bring this up.

You must have a thick-walled socket, perhaps impact (black). A deep impact 21mm socket as well as an Astro 21mm socket fit easily in the Martian wheel. The Astro is part of a set of impact sockets with shallow broach and plastic sleeves to protect the wheel and studs. It will henceforth travel in the Tesla.

I linked the socket I have in my post, it's the CRAFTSMAN Deep Impact Socket, Metric, 1/2-Inch Drive, 21mm (CMMT16081). I'll go shop around locally to find one with a smaller OD.

Good News - They were able to get the last tire on. They bumped the pressure up to 95 psi and finally got it on.

I did install two of them just to snap a before and after pic though.

View attachment 562605 View attachment 562606

3/16"" deep socket works better than 21mm IMO. Slightly smaller than 21mm

Spline drive lug nuts are your friend when it comes to not marring up your new wheels.

McGard Spline Drive Lug Nuts 65310BK

That's the part I used. The base (silver part) is a separate piece that stops turning once it makes contact with the wheel. That combined with spline drive makes them mandatory for every set of wheels I actually care about.
While I have a few sets of these, I must warn everyone. NEVER EVER apply any kind of power tool to these. Not even to partially tighten them. The edges of the splines get damaged, and then rust starts, making these look like *sugar*. Tighten/remove by hand only.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
While I have a few sets of these, I must warn everyone. NEVER EVER apply any kind of power tool to these. Not even to partially tighten them. The edges of the splines get damaged, and then rust starts, making these look like *sugar*. Tighten/remove by hand only.

This is absolutely true. I have generally been lazy and figured if they ever bothered me I'd just replace them. But they do not like impacts. To be fair to McGard, they are quite clear about this. But they are not kidding.

Reactions: New_Old_Stock
Status
Not open for further replies.