Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was expecting to get at least the same efficiency as the original 20'' but it seems maybe the difference is due to stickier tires. The PS4s on 19'' does not have the foam inside seem less efficient than the 20'' PS4s made for Tesla specifically. That's because also at lower speeds like 20mph I can see the difference in efficiency, at this speed the aerodynamics don't play such a big role. Maybe the solution is to find a tire with low rolling resistance.

It is, weight reduction is for acceleration gains, aerodynamic wheel profile is for high speed range gains and tires (width, height, weight and esp rolling resistance) are king for range efficiency.

But there's a trade of rolling resistance vs traction, I wouldn't want anything less than OEM tires in terms of traction, car is already at the edge of what's safe for less than perfect roads (unless if you drive very very conservatively)

Reactions: Clivew
Today wanted to remove one wheel to check my winter setup, guess what martian wheel wont come off even with lugs removed. I noticed when I mounted them 3 weeks ago that are not going all the way and align with the hub, guess after mounting the lugs are completely stuck. Never had this issue with any other aftermarket wheel

Today wanted to remove one wheel to check my winter setup, guess what martian wheel wont come off even with lugs removed. I noticed when I mounted them 3 weeks ago that are not going all the way and align with the hub, guess after mounting the lugs are completely stuck. Never had this issue with any other aftermarket wheel

You mean like the holes aren't symmetrical and the studs are catching? Not sure exactly what you're saying is sticking.

I'm sure that this couldn;t be the issue, but did you remove the bolt that Tesla uses to hold the brake assembly together for installation? You don't need that bolt once the brakes are installed.

Couple of quick picks after install. Very happy with the quality and color!

Attachments

• 7DF6BA77-9071-4CE9-B199-C517FA0CB37F.jpeg
    7DF6BA77-9071-4CE9-B199-C517FA0CB37F.jpeg
    635.6 KB · Views: 393
  • 4756FC58-A36E-4E00-9413-C0556318FA56.jpeg
    4756FC58-A36E-4E00-9413-C0556318FA56.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 314
Mine were very tight going on the hub. so tight in fact I took a wire brush to some of the small amount of rust that had built up on it and it seemed to make it easier to get the rim on.

Guessing the wheels have a stud bore of 15mm if this is the case? Sort of curious on how much of the lug nut is seating if this is the case; this is the same issue I went through on the first set of wheels from that other company before they changed the design for everyone else.

Guessing the wheels have a stud bore of 15mm if this is the case? Sort of curious on how much of the lug nut is seating if this is the case; this is the same issue I went through on the first set of wheels from that other company before they changed the design for everyone else.

They went on completely flush, just took some rocking. from what i saw the lugs were not the tight area.

Reactions: Sam1

This generally happens at the hub area. Often times rust will develop from mineral deposits. You can leave a couple nuts on the wheel but backed off while still engaging at least 5mm or so. It's not an exact science. Then from the backside of the tire you can bang it with a rubber mallet in various places to get it to rock off. The nuts are there to prevent the wheel from flying off. Also make sure to use a wire brush to clean off the rust and put anti-seize on the hub protrusion area as well as studs to ensure this won't be an issue again. When I manufacture wheels I generally have the centerbore of the wheel slightly larger than the OEM CB so this isn't an issue. On my Giulia it's a 65.1 but the factory 19" wheels measured out to a 65.5 CB. just food for thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam1
I managed finally to take one wheel off after a lot of rocking , the center hub of the wheel seems to tight so when it mates with the rotor hub it will become very tight

Attachments

• EC2654C9-B84E-4979-AE50-79D43BB7B6FF.jpeg
    EC2654C9-B84E-4979-AE50-79D43BB7B6FF.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 304
I managed finally to take one wheel off after a lot of rocking , the center hub of the wheel seems to tight so when it mates with the rotor hub it will become very tight
The bolt between the two top studs is the bolt that I mentioned. Most after market wheels will need this bolt removed to seat correctly.

Attachments

• A6AE374C-5AB2-41F1-9D2E-1841C3A32892.jpeg
    A6AE374C-5AB2-41F1-9D2E-1841C3A32892.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 333
Reactions: Callawayc7
Status
Not open for further replies.