Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Martian Wheels MW03

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
20200927_143729.jpg
Same wheel setup and another runner up this time in California.

Qualified and currently at the Division 7 Finals in Bakersfield @Famoso Raceway.

@Sam1 maybe one of these days we might run at the same track.

Reactions: TonyJag and Sam1
Unfortunatelly my car gets poorer efficiency Wh/mi after mounting the wheels, could be the ET28 offset combined with the PS4S tires. Contemplating if should go back to 20” original wheels

Attachments

• D9C0CAE8-2945-4BCF-8FAD-B0E34F410C33.jpeg
    D9C0CAE8-2945-4BCF-8FAD-B0E34F410C33.jpeg
    894.7 KB · Views: 200
Unfortunatelly my car gets poorer efficiency Wh/mi after mounting the wheels, could be the ET28 offset combined with the PS4S tires. Contemplating if should go back to 20” original wheels

Will be finally getting my MW03 in 19x9.5" +45 installed this week. I am running oem specs on Model Y LR AWD and mounting the same oem tires. Will be able to give everyone an idea if my Wh/mi improves, worse or same.

Reactions: Atraf
You won't gain efficiency with just the reduction in weight because the Martian Wheels are less aerodynamic than the Tesla Wheels. In order to gain efficiency or at least maintain the same efficiency as the stock Tesla rim options, you would need to go with a wheel size with smaller width to reduce your contact patch. The unsprung weight difference between Martian and Tesla wheels would improve track times vs efficiency.

What is your deal? First all Martians website states
  • Light Weight - At 18.4 lbs, 18" MW03 wheels are among the lightest wheels available for Model Y
Second, Brian's wheels are also a custom offset for his application. We get it. You aren't happy with Martian Wheels and are happy with your Signature wheels. Let's put this energy into starting a thread for how much you love your Signature Wheels maybe!

Brian clearly say it’s 18x7.5 and you pulled up data of 18x8.5...( and it’s still heavier lmao) I love how people think a company claiming false weight is not a big deal...
You are correct, Brian did go with a 7.5in width wheel, it he also said that he has a custom offset. Therefore, you can’t simply use the stated weight from the website when that’s it the configuration of the wheel.

You won't gain efficiency with just the reduction in weight because the Martian Wheels are less aerodynamic than the Tesla Wheels. In order to gain efficiency or at least maintain the same efficiency as the stock Tesla rim options, you would need to go with a wheel size with a smaller width to reduce your contact patch. The unsprung weight difference between Martian and Tesla wheels would improve track times vs efficiency.

I was expecting to get at least the same efficiency as the original 20'' but it seems maybe the difference is due to stickier tires. The PS4s on 19'' does not have the foam inside seem less efficient than the 20'' PS4s made for Tesla specifically. That's because also at lower speeds like 20mph I can see the difference in efficiency, at this speed the aerodynamics don't play such a big role. Maybe the solution is to find a tire with low rolling resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.