Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maryland HOV Permit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I completed the delivery process today. Except for the backup camera not working, everything else was perfect. To fix it, Tesla wanted to keep it in the shop and gave me a Model S as loaner. Hoping to get it back soon!

Regarding the HOV permit process, the HOV permit is to be filled and filed by the owner as mentioned by several folks above.

As for the excise tax credit, Tesla had the form filled out and ready to go for me which is great. Now I just need to wait for the title to arrive to submit it.

I completed the delivery process today. Except for the backup camera not working, everything else was perfect. To fix it, Tesla wanted to keep it in the shop and gave me a Model S as loaner. Hoping to get it back soon!

Regarding the HOV permit process, the HOV permit is to be filled and filed by the owner as mentioned by several folks above.

As for the excise tax credit, Tesla had the form filled out and ready to go for me which is great. Now I just need to wait for the title to arrive to submit it.
You won't get the credit if the car costs over 60K. The law changed :(

Yeah. Are you waiting for the performance version of the Model 3? Mine cost 56k, so I think I am in the clear.
I have not ordered a 3. I don't care about the performance version, but if i got one I'd get LR AWD. Wife wants another baby so probably not getting a Model 3 or another Tesla. Looks like a minivan. She wants a vacuum in the car...lol

Is the HOV sticker worth it? From my experience on 50, if it's rush hour it doesn't matter what lane you're in, everyone is going at a snail's pace. People that don't belong in the HOV lane are there anyway. If it's not rush hour, it doesn't matter what lane you're in, everyone is going 80. I don't imagine other HOV lanes in MD being any different. I assume the sticker is only good in MD. Now if there's something I can do to legally use VA HOV/Express lanes, that would be great.

Is the HOV sticker worth it? From my experience on 50, if it's rush hour it doesn't matter what lane you're in, everyone is going at a snail's pace. People that don't belong in the HOV lane are there anyway. If it's not rush hour, it doesn't matter what lane you're in, everyone is going 80. I don't imagine other HOV lanes in MD being any different. I assume the sticker is only good in MD. Now if there's something I can do to legally use VA HOV/Express lanes, that would be great.

Absolutely worth it as far as I'm concerned. I use the full stretch of HOV on both northbound and southbound on I-270. On average, I save *at-least* 15-20 minutes each way and I usually drive during rush hour at both times. BTW, they've amended the HOV permit expiry date to September 2022, which is pretty awesome.

Also - in case anyone is reading this thread for an update regarding excise tax credit, I got the full $3000 refund check in about 3 months.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: shanif
I think the pictures arent showing up as the post is archived. If you can repost it here it would be great!

Apologies for the delay, I couldn't find the original photos so I just ripped them from the thread.

Here goes:

I started out with buying a sheet of off-brand Lexan at the local Home improvement store ($4ish and another $5ish for the etching knife tool). I enlarged the bar code in case anyone wants to use the same type as I did. The thickness listed there seems to be the sweet spot between "stops bullets" and "classroom overhead transparency."

1_Initial_Supplies_sm.jpg

Then, using a sharpie, I traced the outline of the License plate and HOV sticker onto the acrylic (I took the excess backing off all but the plate side of the sticker to reduce the amount of plastic showing after mounting but to maintain a tasteful gap between the plate and the sticker).

2_LayoutTrace_sm.jpg

I used a yard stick I had in my upstairs hallway (yeah, I don't know why either) as a straight edge to keep my scoring straight. I have clamps somewhere... but I couldn't find them this day.

3_ScoringSetup_sm.jpg

To get the curvy bit I used this nifty cordless multi-tool that I wanted for xmas one year and then let it sit and gather cobwebs (actual cobwebs pictured!). Mounted below is the "jigsaw" attachment. I didn't use this on the straight part for two reasons: 1) Try to cut a straight line with a handheld jigsaw, go ahead, try and 2) I anticipated this plastic melting a bit under the high friction, which it did, even with me going super slowly.

4_Cobweb_Jigsaw_Cutout_sm.jpg

The last bit of work to do before mounting was to drill out holes for the screws to pass through. As it turns out, I lent my cordless drill (w/ bits) to a friend some time ago and he is still in possession of it. CONTINGENCY: Use the nifty multi-tool with the router attachment and the most "drill-like" bit you have. This actually ended up making some pretty decent looking countersunk style holes right up to the point in which the bit punched through and cracked everything.

Be sure to drill both holes and walk all the way back to the car before realizing that your sheet of plastic extends to all 4 holes on the license plate and then repeat the above kludgey method to drill additional holes. Adjust holes as needed, since after all, it IS a router.

5_ScrewHoles1_sm.jpg

Finally, revel in your mastery of improper tools and hare-brained ideas. Mount the license plate (and any frame you might have) on top of the plastic with the HOV sticker and be on your way.

6_Mounted_sm.jpg

As I stated above, the rigidity seems to be perfect. I can see most of the sticker from the rear camera and even at highway speeds there is no flutter (unless it happens to be at a sympathetic frequency to the frame rate of the camera...).

Let me know if anyone has questions/requests for more detail!

Anyone on this thread applied for their HOV sticker through the mail? About how long did it take to get a sticker shipped to you? I sent off my application to the MVA about 2 weeks ago and haven't had any response...
I have always gone to the MVA in Glen Burnie. You can go directly to the 2nd floor where they do vanity plates and bypass the insanity on the first floor. As long as you have your form filled out, which includes title number, they will give it to you immediately.

• Informative
Reactions: kevinf311
Anyone on this thread applied for their HOV sticker through the mail? About how long did it take to get a sticker shipped to you? I sent off my application to the MVA about 2 weeks ago and haven't had any response...

I've applied for stickers for three Teslas and if I recall correctly got each back in 2-3 weeks. Faster than I had expected.

Alan

You can order a MD HOV permit holder at www [dot] vehiclepermitholder [dot] com : www.vehiclepermitholder.com

It is a metal, non-permanent, secure MD HOV permit holder that attaches the HOV permit in the bumper area next to the license plate without any damage to the car. It attaches using the existing license plate screws and extends out beside the license plate. It is sized for the Maryland HOV sticker which is 4 1/8 inches square.

This holder is a patented design proven to work with the Model X, Model S and Model 3 cars, and holds up to regular use. It is not brittle and does not deteriorate in the sun and weather changes.

Here are some pictures of it on another thread: HOV Sticker / Tag Holder - secure and non-damaging

Patent pending

Ignore the dirt on the car - I drive it a lot!!

ModelS-2.jpeg

Model3-Fuzzy.jpg
ModelS-1.jpeg

Reactions: kevinf311
I u
Forgive me if this seems really inside-the-beltway-centric, but where is the Maryland HOV permit the most useful? I-270? Rt. 50? Future I-495 HOT lanes, maybe?
I use it everyday on Route 50 between Bowie and the Beltway. It saves me time and mental fatigue almost everyday. Although there is almost NO HOV enforcement, I have been pulled over twice for HOV violations in the last 7 years. As soon as I point out the sticker the State troopers pull away.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
I picked up my Model 3 yesterday. Is there any faster way to get the HOV sticker? Everything I have seen so far is you have to wait for it to be mailed. I drive up 270 each way in rush hour and am looking forward to alleviating a little of the commute. Thanks!