Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 heated steering wheel Discussion thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this puts it over the top. The Tesla finally has everything (at least) that I love about my Volt. Except Android Auto and Sirius capabilitiy, but I know that's not happening. I still would like a deal on FSD before pulling the trigger (I know, I know).

Reactions: Eagledon
I ordered a M3LR on Jan 8th and was matched Jan 28th. I spoke to my Tesla rep and he could not confirm the car had a heated steering wheel so I turned the car down and also had eligibility turned off. Yesterday, after BOB becoming famous, I had eligibility turned back on and should be matched again within a week according to the rep.

So, if I get a car with a VIN of 903XXX, there would have been no more than 199 cars between 808BOB's and mine and we could reasonably expect, since its a higher VIN number, that I would have the heated steering wheel??

The Tesla finally has everything (at least) that I love about my Volt. Except Android Auto and Sirius capabilitiy, but I know that's not happening.

oh man, you've got to get over that. I was also concerned basically going from a satellite based music and Apple CarPlay to an all internet based system, and now I'd never go back. The music is totally excellent on the car and I don't miss Sirius one bit. Also, I can always just play Apple Music through the car bluetooth, easy peasy.

The real improvement is the GPS system in the Tesla....moving to Android or Apple would ruin the experience. Huge google earth map with supercharger status and traffic status included.....it's an entirely different experience level compared to anything I've had in our Volvo's and Audi's.

So, if I get a car with a VIN of 903XXX, there would have been no more than 199 cars between 808BOB's and mine and we could reasonably expect, since its a higher VIN number, that I would have the heated steering wheel??

I received a VIN yesterday for my LR AWD and it is 906XXX. Delivery is 2/19-2/26 and it will be the first thing I look for (even before imperfections.). I'll post my results when I get the car.

Reactions: Fizzyo and BeerFizz
I want the old firmware! The visualization was much better. Look on some videos and compare before you update...

2 week old car, same wheel, except SR+. (Have to look up the VIN).. might upgrade the rear seats to heated and see what happens....except nothing says heated wheel.

edit: and we have a foot of snow, and it’s not flip flop weather.

You can't hold on to the old version forever. Your warranty depends on you having the newest software.

Why would they ship the car with a heated steering wheel and not activate it? Makes no sense. My guess is that the cars with hardware will come from the factory with the function enabled.

It's certainly possible that they got the hardware completed before there was a firmware ready to deliver to customers that worked with the new hardware. It does look like OP is on a branch of the firmware which doesn't exist "in the wild" and is technically an older branch than what most people have on their cars now. Assuming this is the case, and that is possible, then a not-too-distant firmware upgrade for the rest of us may enable heated steering wheels in cars that currently don't know they have it.

Can we get confirmation that of the firmware version you're on and if you've taken any software updates yet?
I'm still on old code. I'm on the fence about getting new code... I like the current setup (and a large percentage of people don't like the new screen layout)...
BUT, the curious side in me is wondering if my heated steering wheel will go bye-bye.
Being in the Bay Area, I rarely use it... so not a big deal... but taking features away (just the principal of that would be MAJOR).

It's certainly possible that they got the hardware completed before there was a firmware ready to deliver to customers that worked with the new hardware. It does look like OP is on a branch of the firmware which doesn't exist "in the wild" and is technically an older branch than what most people have on their cars now. Assuming this is the case, and that is possible, then a not-too-distant firmware upgrade for the rest of us may enable heated steering wheels in cars that currently don't know they have it.
As someone mentioned earlier... didn't the MY have the same issue (old code with a heated steering wheel)? Never followed that... but I wonder if anyone over in the MY thread has been able to get updated code (and if they still have access to the heated steering wheel)

really wish Tesla would speak up on this. @808BOB - please let us know if you do your firmware update and if it changes. I suspect all '21's have this based on the new style and I'm surprised Tesla hasn't released a update to make available for free or charge since it's winter in most markets.

really wish Tesla would speak up on this. @808BOB - please let us know if you do your firmware update and if it changes. I suspect all '21's have this based on the new style and I'm surprised Tesla hasn't released a update to make available for free or charge since it's winter in most markets.
I don't think you can "force" an update, can you?
I clicked the "advanced" train... but nothing. Been about 5 days now.