Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Model 3 and differences from 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is different with the new Drive unit?
The rear motor has been modified. It's stator is not built with fractional slot windings anymore but hairpin windings.

Motorcodes are changed:
Performance Motor was 3D1 and is now 3D6.
Base Motor was 3D5 and is now 3D7.

According to the spec sheet all power parameters are identical.

The first customers will receive these new motors in the coming weeks. We will see about noticeable differences in real life (or none) soon thereafter.

The rear motor has been modified. It's stator is not built with fractional slot windings anymore but hairpin windings.

Motorcodes are changed:
Performance Motor was 3D1 and is now 3D6.
Base Motor was 3D5 and is now 3D7.

According to the spec sheet all power parameters are identical.

The first customers will receive these new motors in the coming weeks. We will see about noticeable differences in real life (or none) soon thereafter.
Thanks for the info. I have a M3P on order and still waiting on a vin so assuming I will probably be getting this new design.

Thanks for the info. I have a M3P on order and still waiting on a vin so assuming I will probably be getting this new design.
Would be great to get feedback if these new motors are also used in US cars. Q3 deliveries from China to the EU all have the new motors apart for some SR+ with high VIN numbers above 300 (reason unknown).

Again: easily noticed once a VIN has been assigned.

Reactions: THXULTRA
We really don't know what to expect from that rear motor. On paper the power is exactly the same. Only the Model Y Performance got about 15KW of extra juice.

We will do some comparison measurements with two M3 Performance in the end of August. Old motor and new motor side by side. 0-100, 0-200. Motor temperatures. Motor power.

Hopefully that gives us a good idea whether there is any improvement or if it's just cost saving. The old 3D1 is great, so in any way you will get an awesome car!

Last edited:
Is there any word of the new motor coming to the US?
None that I'm aware of but most of my knowledge comes from this forum. There was a rumor a few weeks ago that P3s were going to see a ~60kW increase and that it was reported from an owner in China. It was a rumor by a Twitter user and so far I've seen no corroborating evidence or repeat of the rumor.

Reactions: THXULTRA
Is there any word of the new motor coming to the US?
Tesla engineers have said that GigaNevada would switch motor production to the hairpin design, like China is creating, eventually. But I think they said it was more than a year out. (They may do that once the drive unit manufacturing in GigaTexas is up and running so they can make the switch without causing a parts shortage.)

First reports of the 3D6 Hairpin rear motors from German customers.
Most coming from the same Q4/2020 LFP Refresh 2021 SR+ cars.
Quite a few are mentioning the new car is pulling stronger upon accelerating though 30-50kph. No Scan My Tesla values yet...

Also first pictures of the new active frunk hinges that are installed from V18 onwards:
cfdf5ca3a06c480461964eee6ffa0b7b9899adb7.jpeg
8bf5829dc4c23c58e0c16168bf76ec3915d236e2.jpeg

Reactions: thinger