Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: 2021 Model 3 - Charge data, battery discussion etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210531-170518.png
    Screenshot_20210531-170518.png
    525.7 KB · Views: 80
Thanks! Per scan my lr Tesla has a 82.1 kwh battery (see screenshot)
I see from your post history you got yours in March, or at least it was built in March? Hopefully this bodes well for those of us taking delivery soon. Very exciting, thanks for sharing!!

I just ordered the obd2 scanner and adapter. I take delivery June 9th. I will post the results here

Last edited:
This is great news to hear for all of us waiting on our 2021 LRs! Thank you for posting, let's hope we get a few more confirmations.
When I get mine Sunday, I can see if I can get my endoscope in to see the label on the battery.. if I can find the camera.. lol

Edit: my obd2 cable will likely be here Saturday as well..

Last edited:
Can someone explain the EPA number of 353 miles range? 82100 watts/250 watts/mile = 328.4 miles.
Can someone explain the EPA number of 353 miles range? 82100 watts/250 watts/mile = 328.4 miles.
I’m not the EPA expert, there’s others here like ’Alansubie4life’ but Im quite sure that the consumption that is reported includes charging losses.
They basiccally drive it empty and then charge to full and measure the used energy from the elektrical net.
Losses usually is about 10%

So range is battery capacity / consumption per the ”constant” often described here.
( about 155-158 wh/km or so for the M3P and about 130-135 for the LR dual motor).

250Wh/mile should includecthe charging loss which isnt relevant in the car.
82100/353= 232.5Wh/mile, that is what you see om the tesla screen.
250Wh/mile is the energy cost on your bill from the electric supplier.

Last edited:
937618, yes delivered in Arizona.

Any thoughts on obd adapter and tesla feelings?
I don't think Tesla cares if you use the obd adapter. But they won't acknowledge any of the data as valid if you tried to present it to them to make a point about your car.
For example, if you told them you have X % battery degradation based on your readings, they would say the data isn't valid since it's from a 3rd party app, even though it is read directly from the car.

Reactions: Jejunjm
Have you tried just using the screen method while you wait for the dongle?
It seems like the screen method doesnt work out properly on all ’21 cars. The energy screen seem to be locked/capped at a lower value than a 82kwh battery. On my M3P, the screen method shows about 80.5kwh despite having 81.5-81.6 nominal full pack, the energy screen doesnt go above 80.5 even when I had charged the battery full and the SMT value ”Nominal remaining” showed 82kWh.

The sreen method probably get better when degradation take us down below 80kWh.

I think TimothyHW3 said that the LR energy screen is capped as well, at 79kWh or so.

It seems like the screen method doesnt work out properly on all ’21 cars. The energy screen seem to be locked/capped at a lower value than a 82kwh battery. On my M3P, the screen method shows about 80.5kwh despite having 81.5-81.6 nominal full pack, the energy screen doesnt go above 80.5 even when I had charged the battery full and the SMT value ”Nominal remaining” showed 82kWh.

The sreen method probably get better when degradation take us down below 80kWh.

I think TimothyHW3 said that the LR energy screen is capped as well, at 79kWh or so.
Ah, I see. Still, another data point from a North American car wouldn't hurt. As well as something for @Stan930 to try if he's curious.

I suspect your energy screen for your LR will still limit at about 77.8kWh (you can do a screen capture similar to @AAKEE to calculate what your Energy Screen says your full capacity is). As @AAKEE has shown, there is a cap on this screen (which is not too surprising - it has been hypothesized for some time that such capping occurs to make sure displayed range never exceeds the rated range even if you have more energy...).

Anyway, 77.8kWh/353mi = 220Wh/mi. Divide by 0.885 (88.5%) or so charging efficiency (that's what Tesla gets and what you get with 7.7kW charging) and you get: 250Wh/mi (which will match the EPA value (25kWh/100mi)) .

So that's where that comes from.

So that means you need to get 220Wh/mi*0.955*0.99 = 208Wh/mi or so on the trip meter to get 353 miles from 100% to 0% when the car is new (0.955 - buffer, 0.99 - "heat loss/missing energy"). Since you have a bit more energy - about 79kWh right now - you might be able to do it with a bit higher consumption, actually. But these values are so low it doesn't really matter; you'll never make that at 75mph on a level road.

What happens when the available battery energy exceeds the display cap is slightly ambiguous, but I think we have a good idea of how it works now (see @AAKEE comment above). I have to catch up and review the video and posts from him, but this information is valuable.

Once you lose enough capacity to go below the cap of 77.8kWh, things are not ambiguous at all. Keep in mind that in the near future Tesla could also increase the 77.8kWh cap for these LR vehicles with the larger batteries (but we will see). That will all likely be very well publicized when it happens though. Nothing is necessarily "permanent," and true for all time, though changes to these values are infrequent.