Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery / Service Issues (panel gaps, delivery delays / issues / Service problems etc)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had similar gaps when I took my 2021 M3P. The tech agreed that the gaps were out of spec and said they would fix it next time I brought it in. When I did they fixed the gaps but a month later, I found that the gaps were too tight which caused my left trunk arm to lock against the body of the car bending it and scratching the paint off of it and on top of it the trunk would no longer open without the arm being bent further. I took it back to the service center for repair but did not have my car for 2 weeks since it needed to go to a body shop. If I had to go back, I would just live with it. The car is great. You won't care about the gap in a few weeks as you enjoy your car. I've totally forgotten about my experience since I love the car.
Yikes!! Those are way worse than mine. That’s just negligence at that point. No car should be delivered like that. Tesla has lots of cash at this point and should be able to invest in QC

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff
Glad that there was no big issues. How did you unlock it?

I hope to go pick it from their centre as well, but will have to see what they do. Maybe they will be more flexible without end of quarter pressure. Will update when it happens.
With the app. When it’s ready for pickup you get access to your car via the app. But you have to accept delivery to gain access. So it’s kinda a catch 22.

You can’t look at it inside until you accept delivery

• Informative
Reactions: KN0607
With the app. When it’s ready for pickup you get access to your car via the app. But you have to accept delivery to gain access. So it’s kinda a catch 22.

You can’t look at it inside until you accept delivery
When I picked up my 3 I asked the guy helping me to unlock it so I could inspect before accepting. He didn't have any issue with that and unlocked it from his computer for us.

Just found this today after 3 months of ownership. First time I sat in the pax seat and noticed large gap between dashboard and door card meeting point. Drivers side is as expected. Pictures attached show the large differences in gap size. Thought on possible solution? Within spec?!?

Attachments

• 20220111_085054.jpg
    20220111_085054.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 912
  • 20220111_085117.jpg
    20220111_085117.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 288
When I picked up my 3 I asked the guy helping me to unlock it so I could inspect before accepting. He didn't have any issue with that and unlocked it from his computer for us.

Well that's good -- the woman who helped me stayed what seemed like 20ft away from me and then went and sat in my trade in.... I dont think she actually said a word to me. Just handed me her iphone to sign

I got my M3 recently. Please see the attached pictures, one is a close up of the same portion of the panel between the right fender and the door. It feels a little odd to see the inner parts of the car through this gap. My Honda also does have a gap but has some kind of tubing that makes it opaque, whereas Tesla's is totally open. I'm concerned about the debris that could get into this gap. Am I overthinking this or is this gap normal? I do have a visit to the service center scheduled later this month.

Attachments

• IMG_1199.jpg
    IMG_1199.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_1200.jpg
    IMG_1200.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 259
I couldn’t get an appointment for about a month! It’s finally coming up on the 25th. I keep sending new pics, etc as I see new issues. There are 2 stains on my white interior that I can’t get out with a steam cleaner so I added that to the list

Hey all

I took delivery of my new M3P a few days ago and the driver side glass is distorted. It’s the same thing you see on lots of teslas and my model X has it too. The dealer pretty much said pound sand or take it so I took it. (Hate that stance). The dealer did proceed to burn down the next day so I won’t be dealing with them anymore.

For anyone who got tesla to fix this issue, where did you go? Did you email corp? I kind of assume this falls into the “teslas are great to drive and horrible to work with” category but let me know if you found a way
Dealer? Tesla has a dealer?

I don't know if anyone else have noticed this on their white model 3 but take a look at your rockers, there should be some plastic cut out there for protecting the paint. Unfortunately it looks really bad for me: Pearl white and yellowish side skirts

According to a detailing firm they say it's likely that this plastic is of bad quality. This discolouring can happen but usually after a few years.

Last edited:
Was planning to not sweat the small stuff. I thought the slightly large gap and small offset at the top-rear was not great, but not terrible.

20220122_185928.jpg
20220122_185918.jpg

But then I got the front A-pillar corner by the mirror. Yuck! The quarter panel is offset from the A-pillar panel by a lot. At first I thought it would be an easy fix but the quarter panel aligns perfectly with the door. If the panel corner is brought out to match the A-pillar, there'll be just as bad an offset at the door.
20220122_185726.jpg

Tried to get a better shot using a zip tie to show the offset:
20220122_185854.jpg

I thought Tesla worked out these problems. Guess not. We were initially supposed to do a pick up. It was changed to delivery and then we were informed it would be a touchless delivery. After dark they dropped the car off and took off. Had to "accept" delivery to open car and move it. Kinda feel this was intentional.

• Informative
Reactions: CarlThompson
Went to pickup the new m3 LR AWD today. Roof was misaligned to the point where I couldn't accept car since I could see thru a gap in weatherstripping to metal underneath. The roof glass was off center to the windshield and a bit crooked as well. They said within spec and water tight but since I want to put on a roof rack I decided to take a chance that another car would come out better. I checked other roofs on lot and they are typically off center a bit but all the other cars were acceptable looking to me. I'm attaching a pic of the roof, where you can see weatherstrip doesn't cover gap. Any feedback appreciated, since not sure if I'm being overly picky, I'm willing to accept small cosmetic issues and make some allowance for Tesla QC standards.

Frunk was badly misaligned which they fixed, and the rear taillight was also sticking out which they didn't fix.

Panel gaps were ok, if you want to look closely not perfect but not anything I would normally notice or care about.

Also white smudge of caulking or something inside rear window which they removed. I never accepted car in the app or opened car so easy enough to walk away. I hope next one goes better for me. Other than some waiting around the tesla employees were ok and reasonable to deal with.

I noticed all the sales demo cars are pretty straight in comparison, why can't this same standard apply to all the cars they produce? Nonetheless looking forward to driving a new tesla!

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 205
Reactions: eakrish
Just refused delivery of M3 LR white on black. Panel gaps on frunk, fenders, lose clips. The SA said they wouldn't be able to fix the gaps and agreed with my decision to not accept it
What clips are you referring to? Were all the deficiencies on the exterior of the car, or were you able to see the inside before deciding not to "accept" the car? My pickup is scheduled for 5pm tomorrow.

What clips are you referring to? Were all the deficiencies on the exterior of the car, or were you able to see the inside before deciding not to "accept" the car? My pickup is scheduled for 5pm tomorrow.
I only examined the exterior. The frunk gaps on the left and right were different and so were the gaps between the front doors and front fenders. The little rubber piece between the front window and frunk on the left was just laying there. Probably a very easy fix but it's just appalling QC to present the car with this defect for the delivery

I only examined the exterior. The frunk gaps on the left and right were different and so were the gaps between the front doors and front fenders. The little rubber piece between the front window and frunk on the left was just laying there. Probably a very easy fix but it's just appalling QC to present the car with this defect for the delivery
Good for you. I wish more people would reject poor quality cars.

Uneven gaps are very typical on the cars I have seen, it would have to jump out at me to reject but combined with the rubber thing, maybe you just started to get a bad feeling like I did that maybe the whole car is on the wrong side of the Tesla quality variance which seems higher than other brands based on reports and initial quality surveys. You have to wonder how much is lack of execution during busy and pandemic times and how much is just calculated to max throughput since many people will accept. On other hand the number of posts in the waiting rooms is much higher than the gripes we are making here so thats a good sign.