Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MASTER THREAD: Funny smell inside car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
has anyone noticed a musty type smell inside when just getting in after it rains? Seems to happen after wet weather once inside but smell seems to go away shortly after. I am not sure if it is ac related, cabin filter related or other possibility, but have service appt. next week to see if they have heard of the problem before.

Thanks

Doug

I just started noticing this for the first time also last week. It’s been raining like crazy recently so it’s definitely related. I stumbled upon a reddit thread about this issue the other day: Update from Tesla for Model 3 owners that have AC with bad smell. : teslamotors

Apparently Tesla is aware of the issue and already has a fix in place. Sounds like they replace the cabin air filter and install something else near the windshield to prevent water intrusion into the air filter. I’ll be contacting Tesla about this soon. It can’t be good to be breathing in musty/moldy air in my Model 3...

I just started noticing this for the first time also last week. It’s been raining like crazy recently so it’s definitely related. I stumbled upon a reddit thread about this issue the other day: Update from Tesla for Model 3 owners that have AC with bad smell. : teslamotors

Apparently Tesla is aware of the issue and already has a fix in place. Sounds like they replace the cabin air filter and install something else near the windshield to prevent water intrusion into the air filter. I’ll be contacting Tesla about this soon. It can’t be good to be breathing in musty/moldy air in my Model 3...
Thanks I will let you know what service center says and does this week...

I also have a smell. To me is smells like bad milk. The smell is strongest when the AC first starts. Then seems to go away. Maybe its not as strong after a while or I get used to it.

Never had this with any of the many cars I have owned.

Will monitor to see if this persists or is because we just started using the AC.

Vin

I live in Florida and started smelling this a month or two ago. My remedy below doesn’t last forever and apparently neither does Tesla’s, and this is cheaper and easier than going to a SC. It is easy and cheap enough that I just do it once a week after I get home.

Buy a big can of a good smelling Lysol, at least one that says it kills mold and mildew.
Find a place near your car to store the can, it needs to be nearby and easily accessible for you to keep doing this.
Under your frunk on the passenger side is the intake for your cabin air. There is a plastic grill that easily comes off and gives you easy access to the vent (I originally didn’t take the grill cover off and the Lysol got all of over the grill and I got sick of wiping it up). Take off the grill.
Set your fan speed to High, AC off - keep a door open so it stays on, and spray the Lysol directly into the open vent for about 10-15 seconds.
Close door, replace grill, put Lysol back.
I haven’t had the smell come back since I started doing this and my cabin is always fresh smelling now. I also don’t believe it will need to be done often during the fall/winter/spring.

My opinion on this is that it is a design defect and should be fixed with a mechanical redesign, even though they’re saying they can do it with software, I hope they’re right.

I would expect a software fix would involve running the A/C on fresh air setting for a few moments before it turns completely off. I have been doing this manually before I arrive at my destination and it seems to eliminate the problem.

It is easy and cheap enough that I just do it once a week after I get home.

Buy a big can of a good smelling Lysol, at least one that says it kills mold and mildew.
Find a place near your car to store the can, it needs to be nearby and easily accessible for you to keep doing this.
Under your frunk on the passenger side is the intake for your cabin air. There is a plastic grill that easily comes off and gives you easy access to the vent (I originally didn’t take the grill cover off and the Lysol got all of over the grill and I got sick of wiping it up). Take off the grill.
Set your fan speed to High, AC off - keep a door open so it stays on, and spray the Lysol directly into the open vent for about 10-15 seconds.
Close door, replace grill, put Lysol back.
I haven’t had the smell come back since I started doing this and my cabin is always fresh smelling now. I also don’t believe it will need to be done often during the fall/winter/spring.

My opinion on this is that it is a design defect and should be fixed with a mechanical redesign, even though they’re saying they can do it with software, I hope they’re right.

Sorry I can't do that. Chemical smells are the worst for some. I can't walk down a cleaning isle at a supermarket without wanting to hurl. Exhaust.....Well that is why I bought a Tesla. While I get that other A/C ICE cars have this issue. Can't say that any of mine ever had this type of smell unless something was spilled in the car. MI/FL have really high humidity.

My car is in for this specific thing. Will find out later today the result. Don't really care how they fix it or if I have to pay for it. I have a 12/2017 build.

Was around 90F yesterday with 86% humidity when SC dropped loaner. Car had set for two weeks in garage. The smell was horrendous when the SC employee backed it out of garage and A/C turned on. Blast of yuck. I did that for a reason. So they could see what it smells like if you let a stranger drive your car. Not a great first impression.... I could precondition, but in my mind the gunk is still in there. Needs to be cleaned.

Sorry I can't do that. Chemical smells are the worst for some. I can't walk down a cleaning isle at a supermarket without wanting to hurl.

I agree the Lysol method is not for anyone sensitive to smells. I use the Klima product, it does have an odor when applied, but it seems to dissipate fairly quickly and is much more tolerable for me.

What the SC uses leaves a very strong odor as well, BTW. It was hard for me to drive home after they treated mine last time.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors