Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked mine up from just outside Toronto. They had it for 7 days waiting for a new cross car beam. Anyone get that replaced ? From reading this thread I guess it must have been a recall or something.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200922-180920_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20200922-180920_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 128
I believe what @jsrawa means is that service reset one, or both, of the trip odometers that reflected the lifetime (total) odometer. Not the main odometer which can't (shouldn't) be reset.

Sorry, I’ve been away from the forum for a while. My wording was unclear. My lifetime trip odometer was reset, not the main. I lost all my settings in the upgrade, one downfall of being one of the earlier upgrades I guess. Still kind of bummed about it.

What's the problem with LA? I've scheduled mobile service for my late 2018 M3 FSD upgrade four times over the past 4 months. Each time they've rescheduled for me to bring it in stating that they don't have the tooling to do the upgrade remotely. I've left phone messages and texts asking if I could wait at the shop if I brought it in to avoid the hour long Uber ride. Never received a reply.

I finally accepted the last in-house appointment they offered me today in Van Nuys at 11am, taking a vacation day for it. Based on what I've read in this thread I expected I'd stand around in the 103 degree heat waiting a couple hours. When I arrived a half-hour early I was told they hoped to be able to get it done by the end of the day.

I explained I'd left multiple unreturned messages asking if I'd be able to wait while they worked. I asked why mobile service couldn't do it (thinking that maybe there was some other unmentioned factory retrofit that was necessary for my VIN). He replied that the 2.5 to 3.0 hardware upgrade was impossible to do outside of the shop. I told him I'd read lots of forum posts by people in other cities who have had it done and asked when it would be available in LA. I was firmly told again that "no one anywhere will ever be able to get the FSD upgrade installed by mobile service, it's too complicated". So I cancelled again and drove home.

Just like every other interaction I've had with the company - great product, horrible customer experience. I'm seriously considering taking a motel room in San Diego just for the mobile service retrofit. Has anyone in LA been successful in getting this done? I've been following this thread daily for months looking for a glimmer of hope.

What's the problem with LA? I've scheduled mobile service for my late 2018 M3 FSD upgrade four times over the past 4 months. Each time they've rescheduled for me to bring it in stating that they don't have the tooling to do the upgrade remotely. I've left phone messages and texts asking if I could wait at the shop if I brought it in to avoid the hour long Uber ride. Never received a reply.

I finally accepted the last in-house appointment they offered me today in Van Nuys at 11am, taking a vacation day for it. Based on what I've read in this thread I expected I'd stand around in the 103 degree heat waiting a couple hours. When I arrived a half-hour early I was told they hoped to be able to get it done by the end of the day.

I explained I'd left multiple unreturned messages asking if I'd be able to wait while they worked. I asked why mobile service couldn't do it (thinking that maybe there was some other unmentioned factory retrofit that was necessary for my VIN). He replied that the 2.5 to 3.0 hardware upgrade was impossible to do outside of the shop. I told him I'd read lots of forum posts by people in other cities who have had it done and asked when it would be available in LA. I was firmly told again that "no one anywhere will ever be able to get the FSD upgrade installed by mobile service, it's too complicated". So I cancelled again and drove home.

Just like every other interaction I've had with the company - great product, horrible customer experience. I'm seriously considering taking a motel room in San Diego just for the mobile service retrofit. Has anyone in LA been successful in getting this done? I've been following this thread daily for months looking for a glimmer of hope.

Just a complete lie! Really sad they would tell you that. Maybe some members here can call that SC and confirm they had mobile service install their FSD. LOL!

In Northern California Tesla Mobile Service upgraded my 2018 M3 from H 2.5 to H 3.0 (FSD) two days ago. It took a little over an hour and he also replaced my charging port pins and modified my frunk closure. A nice technician and he answered all of my questions.
However, later when I started to use the Tesla app on my iPhone, it gave a warning under Controls that one window is open and I have received a notice on my watch after leaving the car that a window or door was left open. I have opened and closed all of the windows from both the app and inside the car, did a reboot, and manually verified that all windows were actually closed. Still no joy. I guess that I will have to check with the service center on Monday.

Read part of this thread since I'm confused on the status of all this. I put in an appointment for my 3's upgrade in June, and Tysons says no parts (CPU I assume), and will put me on the list for when it comes in. Since then, I get twice-weekly automatic emails from Tesla saying 'parts on order'. Now, *those* have stopped and I have no idea what the status of the parts or the appointment (lol) is.

So, what's up? Should I make another appointment for the upgrade? (Paid for FSD with the car two years ago delivered in October, 2018.)

Thanks!

Edit: Read a bit more of this, seems like I should make another appointment like nothing ever happened. Good grief.....

Last edited:
Read part of this thread since I'm confused on the status of all this. I put in an appointment for my 3's upgrade in June, and Tysons says no parts (CPU I assume), and will put me on the list for when it comes in. Since then, I get twice-weekly automatic emails from Tesla saying 'parts on order'. Now, *those* have stopped and I have no idea what the status of the parts or the appointment (lol) is.

So, what's up? Should I make another appointment for the upgrade? (Paid for FSD with the car two years ago delivered in October, 2018.)

Thanks!

Edit: Read a bit more of this, seems like I should make another appointment like nothing ever happened. Good grief.....
So.... after all that, I set up a new appt, it defaulted to Mobile, as always, and they are doing it next Wednesday. It's astounding how Tesla does things. Dump the original, no update (of course) and wait for you to wake up and make another one, which we'll do in your driveway, hey, no problem.

Smh.....

I feel bad that you guys are getting the runaround. You would think that if one service area is able to do mobile service for the HW3 upgrade, it shouldn't be that much trouble for Tesla to train techs in other parts of the country with the same procedure. And to have the actual hardware needed on hand. My upgrade back in April was done after they called me to schedule. It's probably why the install went as smooth as it did. The wait time was just about 5 months since the start of the upgrades and 4 months after I decided to not to contact Tesla about HW3. My VIN is 444xx and I bought FSD a year after the car.