Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 SR+ LFP Battery Range, Degradation, etc Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that LFP batteries have been operating for a couple months in the US, I thought it would be useful to start a thread for people to post their experiences with degradation of LFP batteries. A major benefit of these batteries is supposed to be resistant to degradation, so let's test that claim here with our own observations.

I'll kick it off with my SR+ LFP, which just passed 3,000 miles today. I use Tessie, and as of today it shows a battery capacity of 54.6 kWh (out of 55), and a max range of 253 miles. So at 3,000 miles I've had no noticable degradation, and in fact you can see the trend lines have been rising.

One more calculation... I'm averaging 207 wh/m over the life of the car. Assuming I could yap into the full 54.6 kWh battery, that gives me a range of 263.7 miles.

Hope to see more examples from LFP owners. I'll try to update my stats at significant mile markers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211023-190731.png
    Screenshot_20211023-190731.png
    360.8 KB · Views: 20,494
  • PXL_20211023_212120563.jpg
    PXL_20211023_212120563.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 1,220
(moderator note)

Thread title changed to make this a master thread, and also removed "US" from the thread title because Model 3 LFP batteries are not a US specific thing. All discussion specific to this battery type for model 3s, real range, degradation, etc can be posted in this thread, or alternatively in the main "battery degradation" thread if desired.

General discussion on LFP model 3s is also in the following thread:

After 8 weeks of ownership, got my first software update. This took me to 2021.36.5.5 . Happy to get an update, but the charging display is indicating a 250 mile range limit (no change).
That's too bad, it would've been a nice surprise. I wonder why they were able to give us Monroney stickers with 262 miles listed. In any event, it makes degradation that much more critical if we rule out a range boost from a software update.

I wonder why they were able to give us Monroney stickers with 262 miles listed.
Because your car has 262 miles range with a new battery when using the EPA test method.

I am not surprised tho as previous version already had 2.5 kWh buffer instead of 5 kWh.
But your car has a 2.5kWh buffer, and still displays 253 miles of range.

Is your US made SR+ LFP charging to 253 or 262?

Your vehicle has less displayed range than the prior vehicle model year, but has more energy (either comparing both with buffer, or comparing both without) and probably more actual range too. And both had approximately the same buffer size (4.5%).

There is an explanation of the origin of the 253 mile number below, which seems reasonable. But in any case the cars now have the normal 4.5%, 2.5kWh buffer. The 5kWh buffer which used to exist may be related to why the 253 number exists, but it’s not a reflection of your buffer size now.

Is your US made SR+ LFP charging to 253 or 262?

So now that fall is kicking in and temperatures are getting down into the 40's in the midwest at least how is everything going? Especially for those who don't charge at home how has that situation been for you? I'm noticing it's taking a lot longer to precondition my battery for charge. Even at 50F I drove 20 minutes to a charger while preconditioning and still only received 45-50kwh charge on a 250w charger with no one else on my breaker. This was with the firmware that came with the car though and I haven't really tried to charge since I got the first update 2 days ago. I did set my car to pre condition before I left work after the first update and then drove 10 minutes to the charger nearest me and still only got 30-40kwh on a charger that I think does 150kwh. No other car being charged at that Supercharger station at the time. When I was driving home from a road trip over a week ago it took 30-40 minutes sometimes to pre condition before I'd arrive at my charging stops. Is there any better way to handle charging with the LFP?

2021.36.5.5 had improvements for cold weather. Hope you get the update soon and it improves it.

BTW, I just got 2021.36.8 a few days after and tried out the Sentry Live steaming. I have not charge it yet to see if there is any difference with the battery. I only charge at home though.

2021.36.5.5 had improvements for cold weather. Hope you get the update soon and it improves it.

BTW, I just got 2021.36.8 a few days after and tried out the Sentry Live steaming. I have not charge it yet to see if there is any difference with the battery. I only charge at home though.
2021.36.5.5 is what I was on when I had my car preheat at work before I went to a charger 5 minutes away. I just got 36.8 today but I'll see if it gets any better.

My efficiency has decreased a bit since the weather started to cool in the last couple weeks. From what I can tell, I'm seeing about 15% increase in battery usage for my commute. I don't have full regenerative braking for over half of my commute now, which I assume is a big part of the lost efficiency. I'm heating up the car really well before I unplug it in my garage to try and save the battery for driving.

I am still on the original software that came with the car, but I've got an update available that I'll try to install today. It'll be interesting to see if there's any impact from that. I am still getting 254 miles displayed when I charge to 100%, which is great. I'll do a little more detailed update once I hit 5,000 miles.

Model 3 SR+ (just called "Model 3", no longer listed as Standard Range Plus, at least in USA) now has new (longer) range on the Tesla website.
With 18" Aero wheels: 272 mi
With 19" Sport wheels: 267 mi
272 miles with minimal degradation and ability to charge to 100% regularly (assuming the new base Model 3 has LFP batteries). That might put a real hurt on LR sales for people who understand the significance of those figures. In terms of range, The base Model 3 is now almost on par with a Model 3 LR charged to 80%, and it may even outperform on range after a few years of degradation. The base Model 3 will still trail in things like AWD, stereo system, 0-60 times, etc.

272 miles with minimal degradation and ability to charge to 100% regularly (assuming the new base Model 3 has LFP batteries). That might put a real hurt on LR sales for people who understand the significance of those figures. In terms of range, The base Model 3 is now almost on par with a Model 3 LR charged to 80%, and it may even outperform on range after a few years of degradation. The base Model 3 will still trail in things like AWD, stereo system, 0-60 times, etc.
It is very good. One other thing to consider is charging speed. It’ll be interesting to see what the max supercharger rate is on these vehicles and what the taper looks like. Makes a difference to travel time with all the 250kW stations these days…

My understanding with LFP is that degradation is still expected. I would not assume it will be minimal - though only time will tell.

It is very good. One other thing to consider is charging speed. It’ll be interesting to see what the max supercharger rate is on these vehicles and what the taper looks like. Makes a difference to travel time with all the 250kW stations these days…

My understanding with LFP is that degradation is still expected. I would not assume it will be minimal - though only time will tell.
The charging curve on the LFP Model 3 I own is really good. It doesn't go below 40Kwh after 80%. It's actually too good because it doesn't give me enough time to have dinner before my car is at 90%+. 2022 models will probably be the same way.

The charging curve on the LFP Model 3 I own is really good. It doesn't go below 40Kwh after 80%. It's actually too good because it doesn't give me enough time to have dinner before my car is at 90%+. 2022 models will probably be the same way.
Interesting that the taper at the top isn't super aggressive. I was more referring to the peak rate, since that's what affects travel time the most.

Looks like 0-60 time increased a bit on the new model 3s with 272 miles. Says 5.8 now and I think it was 5.4 or 5.6 previously? I wonder if they are increasing battery pack size (and weight) in 2022? My 2021 LFP still charges to 253....wonder if we are we going to get any range increase.

I believe that 0-60 time was 5.2 a couple days ago. I wonder how many people out there ordered when they saw that 5.2 number and will be disappointed when they get a 5.8 second car. That is a pretty big difference. You don’t usually expect to get worse when the new model year comes out.

Reactions: Streetfish