Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matt_D's Model X Delivery Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Matt_D

Model S Plaid 2021, Model X 2019
Sep 3, 2012
Mountain View, CA
I just saw posts in Bonnie's delivery thread referring to Model X colors while we were at the delivery center today, taking delivery of our awesome Signature Model X. All this talk of color makes me think that I should mention how beautiful/partial I am to the Signature Red, the White, followed by the Blue. Obviously, we are a bit biased on the affinity for the Signature Red. :)

Also, a big hat tip to Bonnie and others on this forum for the stream of great information that helped shape our purchase/delivery process. I'd also be remiss not to mention the great Tesla delivery team for their support before and throughout the entire delivery process.

I also agree with the remarks made by others about the experience of the X. The X is such a step up from the S. I love my S, but the Model X has truly raised the bar.

IMG_20151227_173854.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw these posts while we were at the delivery center today, taking delivery of our awesome Signature Model X. All this talk of color makes me think that I should mention how beautiful/partial I am to the Signature Red, the White, followed by the Blue. Obviously, we are a bit biased on the affinity for the Signature Red. :)

Also, a big hat tip to Bonnie and others on this forum for the stream of great information that helped shape our purchase/delivery process. I'd also be remiss not to mention the great Tesla delivery team for their support before and throughout the entire delivery process.

I also agree with the remarks made by others about the experience of the X. The X is such a step up from the S. I love my S, but the Model X has truly raised the bar.

View attachment 105624

Congratulations. Thanks for the pix and post. Sig Red has always been my wife's favorite. We will eventually go with either white or blue........

I just saw these posts while we were at the delivery center today, taking delivery of our awesome Signature Model X. All this talk of color makes me think that I should mention how beautiful/partial I am to the Signature Red, the White, followed by the Blue. Obviously, we are a bit biased on the affinity for the Signature Red. :)

Congratulations! This just makes me more excited about our Sig Red car! Post some interior pictures please!?

View attachment 105624
What a beauty. Wow.
I'm really interested in hearing as much specifics of Model S vs Model X as you can create. WHAT makes you say "Model X has truly raised the bar". What's better? What makes the big difference?

Congratulations! This just makes me more excited about our Sig Red car! Post some interior pictures please!?

Happily! What would be of interest that you'd like to see focused on?

- - - Updated - - -

What a beauty. Wow.
I'm really interested in hearing as much specifics of Model S vs Model X as you can create. WHAT makes you say "Model X has truly raised the bar". What's better? What makes the big difference?

Things I noticed immediately:

- Build quality is significantly better than my early Model S. Not surprising, but a big difference.
- The interior feels much more upscale. The seats are the most comfortable I've been in bar none. My other half pointed out an immediate difference. (Along the lines of of, "this car is really comfortable, I can't believe these seats")
- Little things like the panel's wood being carried throughout the side panels and into the back; finishing around the instrument cluster/top of dash in a darker tone of the headliner, etc.
- The center console in the X is part of the car, as opposed to "drop in" as it is on the Model S. The main compartment of the console has a really cool door close. (You push forward and it gently closes shut automagically. In the S, you have to pull it closed.)
- The doors. I don't mean the FWD (which are amazing.) The front doors. They open, and hold position. (Okay, this sounds obvious, let me explain.) Best example I can give is automatic rudder and/or elevator trim in an aircraft. It does exactly what I want. Opens, but just enough. If I want it a bit more, it opens there with mild pressure and stays put. (Unlike other vehicles where there's usually one or two detents for the doors to be held open.) Closes when I want with a touch of a button.
- The armrests for the front seat are larger than in the Model S. The center console is not a direct port.
- Interior dome lights. You're probably thinking, "okay, who cares?" So, uniquely, the dome lights are really sets of clusters of LEDs. You can (by touch on the light itself) selectively turn the parts of the cluster off that you don't want. An elegant solution to different seating situations. For the driver and passenger in the front, there's a shortcut on the touchscreen if you'd prefer so you don't have to twist around.
- Steering wheel is quite firm and solid. My Model S is nice, but can make a lot of noise cornering when you need to twist a lot. Nice upgrade.
- Cupholders. Everywhere. Along with USB ports. (YEAH!)
- And in that vein, door pockets up front!!!
- Lots of great work on the touchscreen UI. They really did think about family and/or transport scenarios. If you are by yourself you can configure the whole interior with a few taps. Open the doors (and close them) and never get out of your seat.
- Sun visors that work, get out of the way when not needed, and are lighted!

Not interior, but interesting:
- The charge port door closes by itself
- Reminder: make sure to turn on automatic lane change if you want it. I've seen some forum posters complain the autopilot in their S doesn't change lanes no matter what. It's off by default and still is on the Model X. (Much like lane departure warning.)
- 72 amp charging worked like a champ first time around
- Great job disguising the accessory hitch in the rear of the vehicle
- FWD doors do a remarkable job in tight garages. I was stunned how well they worked. I have a high shelf in the garage on one side. I was worried it wouldn't clear. Good news: the car thought the same thing. It stopped it early. Even then, I could more than easily stand under the FWD, without needing to duck under one iota. My experience so far with these doors: if I could have them in the front as well, I would.

Minor nits:
- No USB-C charging adapter for the center console. I'm hoping this changes in the future.
- Auto open for the door isn't supported in the SW just yet.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't complement the entire Tesla team. The tour was amazing, and I'm under NDA like all of us, and I am going to honor that. I'll just say this: I'm very excited about the Company's future. (If anyone knows of how I can get a Founder's Edition of their next vehicle, whatever it may be, let me know!)

Oh man, really? Well I'd love to see pictures of all of the Control screens, third row seats, second row seats, second row cupholders, dashboard. So basically all the things. I don't know how familiar you are with imgur.com but creating a free account and uploading a bunch of pictures there would be much easier than uploading images separately here.

The important part is that you love the car, if we get pictures that's just a bonus.

Seriously great feedback Matt_D! Thanks for the picture (gorgeous that Sig Red!) and great list of things that impressed you!

I left the reveal a bit let down on the X, but my enthusiasm has returned due, in large part, to the many glowing reports from the Founders and Signatures kind enough to share their experiences here.

Cheers!

I heard from another gentleman who received their X that you cannot close the front door and falcon wing door at the same time or else they will intersect and cause damage.

this is what their DS told them? Have you heard the same?

Seems to me like a software update to prevent that from happening should be easy to do.

View attachment 105624

Wow!! This is such a beautiful sight. I don't like red colour, but somehow this looks so beautiful. Congrats!!!

- - - Updated - - -

@MattD
Oh, you can post any type of pictures of the X. I will be happy to see them all. I am very happy to read your comment on the future Tesla product. Thanks for sharing your optimistic opinion on it. Really made me happy.

- - - Updated - - -

Things I noticed immediately:

- Build quality is significantly better than my early Model S. Not surprising, but a big difference.
- The interior feels much more upscale. The seats are the most comfortable I've been in bar none. My other half pointed out an immediate difference. (Along the lines of of, "this car is really comfortable, I can't believe these seats")
- Little things like the panel's wood being carried throughout the side panels and into the back; finishing around the instrument cluster/top of dash in a darker tone of the headliner, etc.
- The center console in the X is part of the car, as opposed to "drop in" as it is on the Model S. The main compartment of the console has a really cool door close. (You push forward and it gently closes shut automagically. In the S, you have to pull it closed.)
- The doors. I don't mean the FWD (which are amazing.) The front doors. They open, and hold position. (Okay, this sounds obvious, let me explain.) Best example I can give is automatic rudder and/or elevator trim in an aircraft. It does exactly what I want. Opens, but just enough. If I want it a bit more, it opens there with mild pressure and stays put. (Unlike other vehicles where there's usually one or two detents for the doors to be held open.) Closes when I want with a touch of a button.
- The armrests for the front seat are larger than in the Model S. The center console is not a direct port.
- Interior dome lights. You're probably thinking, "okay, who cares?" So, uniquely, the dome lights are really sets of clusters of LEDs. You can (by touch on the light itself) selectively turn the parts of the cluster off that you don't want. An elegant solution to different seating situations. For the driver and passenger in the front, there's a shortcut on the touchscreen if you'd prefer so you don't have to twist around.
- Steering wheel is quite firm and solid. My Model S is nice, but can make a lot of noise cornering when you need to twist a lot. Nice upgrade.
- Cupholders. Everywhere. Along with USB ports. (YEAH!)
- And in that vein, door pockets up front!!!
- Lots of great work on the touchscreen UI. They really did think about family and/or transport scenarios. If you are by yourself you can configure the whole interior with a few taps. Open the doors (and close them) and never get out of your seat.
- Sun visors that work, get out of the way when not needed, and are lighted!

Not interior, but interesting:
- The charge port door closes by itself
- Reminder: make sure to turn on automatic lane change if you want it. I've seen some forum posters complain the autopilot in their S doesn't change lanes no matter what. It's off by default and still is on the Model X. (Much like lane departure warning.)
- 72 amp charging worked like a champ first time around
- Great job disguising the accessory hitch in the rear of the vehicle
- FWD doors do a remarkable job in tight garages. I was stunned how well they worked. I have a high shelf in the garage on one side. I was worried it wouldn't clear. Good news: the car thought the same thing. It stopped it early. Even then, I could more than easily stand under the FWD, without needing to duck under one iota. My experience so far with these doors: if I could have them in the front as well, I would.

Minor nits:
- No USB-C charging adapter for the center console. I'm hoping this changes in the future.
- Auto open for the door isn't supported in the SW just yet.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't complement the entire Tesla team. The tour was amazing, and I'm under NDA like all of us, and I am going to honor that. I'll just say this: I'm very excited about the Company's future. (If anyone knows of how I can get a Founder's Edition of their next vehicle, whatever it may be, let me know!)

Seriously the best review by far! (Not to take away all the great feedbacks and pics from Bonnie and the others of course!) I also left the launch event a little *meh* (like goneskiian described), but this really got me excited again. I think Elons car that was on display wasn't really finished, finished - if you know what I mean. So they clearly made it "better" somehow before releasing these Sigs. Speaking of - awesome picture!

I recently got a new phone with the USB-C connector, so hopefully they will have an adapter for that before delivery here in Norway.

Any pictures you post would be great! And finally; congrats!!!!!!!! :smile:

I heard from another gentleman who received their X that you cannot close the front door and falcon wing door at the same time or else they will intersect and cause damage.

this is what their DS told them? Have you heard the same?

Seems to me like a software update to prevent that from happening should be easy to do.

LOL. Has it occurred to you that said gentleman may have been pulling your leg?

EDIT: on the second thought, I suppose, you could get your fingers pinched when closing front door from the outside while FwD is closing. Still it's a physical impossibility for both doors to get in contact.

WOW!! Thank you so very much for such a beautifully detailed and extensive report!! This made for splendid reading. My only question is: You're under an NDA? Are all of the sigs under an NDA? And what for? Isn't the car "released" now? So.... can you elaborate on what the NDA is all about....? I don't want you to get in trouble or violate the NDA, but that's the first I've heard of it (as a non-sig. reservation holder).

Thanks again!! :)

LOL. Has it occurred to you that said gentleman may have been pulling your leg?

EDIT: on the second thought, I suppose, you could get your fingers pinched when closing front door from the outside while FwD is closing. Still it's a physical impossibility for both doors to get in contact.

this was on the tesla model X Facebook page. Need somebody who has taken delivery to confirm it as an issue or not

Beautiful car, Matt! Congratulations on your delivery and a great review!

One request: Might you be able to measure how high off the ground is the driver seat when the air suspension is in a "normal setting" mode? I'm interested in doing a comparison to my existing ride (MB E350 sedan) before pulling the trigger and ordering. Thanks!