Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Matte carbon fiber dash/door trim replacement comparisons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I returned the Fusion Motorsports dash/door trim set because I wasn't satisfied that it was worth it for me when I figured in the price differential between it and, I regret to say, an AliExpress set. Both are full replacements; both are genuine carbon fiber; both have matte finish; both come in basically identical boxes and packing.

Don't get me wrong: the Fusion set was finished more nicely than the AliExpress set. No contest. The texture and finish of the Fusion is better in a tactile way (like someone took time to rub down and buff out any imperfections on it) whereas the AliExpress one was rougher and had a couple of blemishes in the finish.

The Fusion one had flawless silver trim and the AliExpress one has very fine scratch damage that you can see close-up. The AliExpress one is actually missing a couple of metal clips (I’ll take them off the original dash, which I’m not selling and will put on storage). So there are noticeable differences in quality of finish and QC.

But in the end I just wasn't satisfied that the Fusion was $820--ish better than the AliExpress one ($1280 shipped vs $458 shipped).

Like I said, both dash replacements came in basically the same box with very similar packing, although again the Fusion was wrapped in nicer materials and protective plastic. The Fusion packing:

View attachment 849969

This is the Chinese one from AliExpress:

View attachment 849673

I addressed the rough matte finish of the Chinese one by using a gentle cleaner on it, and then applying a nicely buffed out coat of Monty’s Instrument Food, which I use on my guitars:

View attachment 849675

This photo shows the door trim piece finished with Monty’s, while the dash is as it came from China:

View attachment 849676

This is after both door trim and dash trim had been buffed:

View attachment 849677

Much better, although still not ideal. There are still some imperfections to deal with. I may take some Meguiars and polish the finish some more.

Ultimately I'm a little galled that I went with a Chinese AliExpress dash set instead of one made in USA. But despite the better product and better service, the $800 differential is just too much to ignore for me and my budget. I would like to add that Alex @ Fusion was a pleasure to work with, no complaints there. The AliExpress seller was... well, let's say less communicative and helpful!
Can I get the link?

just and FYI regarding fitment on 2023, another poster noted dash attachment tab is now angled and not straight as with pre 2023 dash. So dash from alieexpress may not fit. Please confirm once you guys receive your dash if you have a 2023 MY

just and FYI regarding fitment on 2023, another poster noted dash attachment tab is now angled and not straight as with pre 2023 dash. So dash from alieexpress may not fit. Please confirm once you guys receive your dash if you have a 2023 MY

i purchased from the aliexpress link, and can confirm it does not fit my 2023 MYLR. will post mine for sale shortly on the forums and locally. if anyone in Southern California is looking for a matte cf dash and door kit, i have one available. :)

Email I received from Fusion regarding the new Gen 3 dashboards built in Texas/Berlin:
"Hello,
Thank you for reaching out!
Unfortunately at this time, we do not have any Gen 3 (Austin/Berlin) dashboards in stock due to its limited availability.
However, as the Gen 3 market continues to grow, we will be sure to add this to our product line. The ETA for this is anywhere from 2-4 months."