Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Charger Speed - Is More Better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn’t consider that they can over-provision peak load as it’s unlikely 4 Taycans would start charing at the same moment. Also how often will all bays be in use, their strategy means that they are wasting the capacity they have available by not specking the fastest possible.
Tesla V2 showed how to sensibly over provision capacity, doubling the number of available bays while also giving the highest viable speed possible when we aren’t sharing.

The ultimate really would be the available power shared between all the charge points however many that is but I appreciate that that is a tricky problem in practice.
Recently visited Cribbs with its 2 V2 and 12 V3. Plugged in at a V3. wanted to stop for lunch but had to use the toilet then go back to the car and wait a few minutes for it to finish before going for lunch since it would have finished before I got my food. I did not want to use V2 in case an S or X needed them ( one was there already) and still probably too fast. A slower charger would handy on that occasion to drag the charging out a bit longer so I could eat during.

The ultimate really would be the available power shared between all the charge points however many that is but I appreciate that that is a tricky problem in practice.
Recently visited Cribbs with its 2 V2 and 12 V3. Plugged in at a V3. wanted to stop for lunch but had to use the toilet then go back to the car and wait a few minutes for it to finish before going for lunch since it would have finished before I got my food. I did not want to use V2 in case an S or X needed them ( one was there already) and still probably too fast. A slower charger would handy on that occasion to drag the charging out a bit longer so I could eat during.
Agreed, the ideal charger speed is related to what you are doing. For example Premier are allowing 50KW chargers to be installed at their hotels, which is dumber than installing 7 regular 32A chargers. Do they expect guests to check all night for their 1h chance to charge.
I think it’s a bit difficult for shopping centres to find the right speed, 7KW is not enough, 50KW is too fast.

Agreed, the ideal charger speed is related to what you are doing. For example Premier are allowing 50KW chargers to be installed at their hotels, which is dumber than installing 7 regular 32A chargers. Do they expect guests to check all night for their 1h chance to charge.
I think it’s a bit difficult for shopping centres to find the right speed, 7KW is not enough, 50KW is too fast.
true
7-11kw is ideal for hotels.
50kw works well for restaurants and supermarkets
100-150 for fast food
150-350 for roadtrips.

but shopping centres are a tricky one. mix of level 2 and 50KW seems the best bet I guess. people will just let their cars block the 50's though when done unless there are idle fees. If they are smart they should put in 20KW DC to keep you there longer 🙂

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
Ok slightly off topic but I’m frustrated that my M3P can only charge at 11KW at home. I have a three phase supply and at 22KW Anderson charge point. The other three EVs in our household can all charge at 22KW, but my incredibly advanced, cutting edge Tesla is restricted to 11KW. Welcome to the slow lane.

Ok slightly off topic but I’m frustrated that my M3P can only charge at 11KW at home.

I suppose there are just so few people who can have 3 phase charging so it's not worth the cost of including ... Tesla Model 3 is same speed as Porsche Taycan, Jaguar i-Pace, ionic 5, BMW i4, Audi e-tron, VW I.D 3, etc etc. 22kW AC charging is on the minority of EVs so you are lucky to have 3 in your household!

That happened to me over in Thetford forrest. I'd only just started my food when the car finished charging, so had to leg it out and move the car before returning to charge.

Ideally they need to be either -really fast- or in the 40-45minute range. There's not a lot of use being 20 mins as too fast to do anything much, but too slow and so seems boring waiting.

Ok slightly off topic but I’m frustrated that my M3P can only charge at 11KW at home. I have a three phase supply and at 22KW Anderson charge point. The other three EVs in our household can all charge at 22KW, but my incredibly advanced, cutting edge Tesla is restricted to 11KW. Welcome to the slow lane.
Well yes because highspeed AC charging is yesterdays tech. When DC charging was rare I think more cars came with high power ac/dc converters on board. But these days most people are either
a) AC charging overnight where 7kw is the max available and is also plenty for most since it will easily charge any EV overnight in most cases.
b) DC fast charging.
Carrying around a heavy expensive 22kwAC/DC converter in all cars when 99% will never use it does seem a bit pointless.
I can see a case for making it an option for people who want it but Tesla not big on options so not likely to happen.
I am guessing your "incredibly advanced cutting edge" M3P DC charges faster than most other cars including the 3 you mentioned?

I am guessing your "incredibly advanced cutting edge" M3P DC charges faster than most other cars including the 3 you mentioned?
I have absolutely no idea, but as we virtually never DC charge it is, for us, pretty much completely irrelevant. However, we do have four EVs and one charge point at home, so the fact that three of them can charge at 22KW is a huge benefit. My “incredibly advanced cutting edge” M3P charges at half the speed. Yes, it has a greater range, but that also means it takes even longer to charge.

Having 4 EVs to charge from just one charger makes you a complete outlier though. 7-11kw is more than enough for 99.9% of people.

Most people in your situation would just add a second charger. AFAIK the government grant allows two chargers for two separate vehicles in the same household.

However, we do have four EVs and one charge point at home, so the fact that three of them can charge at 22KW is a huge benefit. My “incredibly advanced cutting edge” M3P charges at half the speed. Yes, it has a greater range, but that also means it takes even longer to charge.

The solution to that in many cases is a more charge points, ideally load balanced. That would allow 2 cars to be charged at 11kW, 3 at 7kW etc,

I have absolutely no idea, but as we virtually never DC charge it is, for us, pretty much completely irrelevant. However, we do have four EVs and one charge point at home, so the fact that three of them can charge at 22KW is a huge benefit. My “incredibly advanced cutting edge” M3P charges at half the speed. Yes, it has a greater range, but that also means it takes even longer to charge.
I used to have a car I could recharge from 0 to 100% in about 4 minutes and it went 600miles between recharges. I also had a phone that lasted a week on a single charge. Sometimes progress comes at a price that does not suit everyone. I don't really miss either of them though to be honest.

The solution to that in many cases is a more charge points, ideally load balanced. That would allow 2 cars to be charged at 11kW, 3 at 7kW etc,

I have thought about getting another charge point installed, and if I do it will be another Andersen as they are far and away the most aesthetically pleasing. But two would be the max - I don’t want the house to look like a motorway EV charging station. Might as well put in some public loos and a couple of junk food outlets as well!!

I have thought about getting another charge point installed, and if I do it will be another Andersen as they are far and away the most aesthetically pleasing. But two would be the max - I don’t want the house to look like a motorway EV charging station. Might as well put in some public loos and a couple of junk food outlets as well!!
you already have 4 EV;s parked out front by the sound of it not sure the charge point will be the stand out thing.
I just fitted a Wallbox for my Dad, Ironic choice because we didn't have a wall to fit it to.
I don't think it looks too bad. 🙂
20210717_120505.jpg

I have thought about getting another charge point installed, and if I do it will be another Andersen as they are far and away the most aesthetically pleasing. But two would be the max - I don’t want the house to look like a motorway EV charging station.

Given that an Andersen doesn't look like a charge point I'm sure that even if you were able to have half a dozen of them your house still wouldn't look remotely like "a motorway EV charging station"!