Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Maximum Tires Size Model Y Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to determine what the maximum tires size anyone can confirm so far on the MYP. I just swapped over to my winter setup, but will to replace the Pirelli’s come next spring. I am running 20mm spacer in the front and 25mm spacers in the rear.

I would like to run Vredestein Quatrac Pro’s.
Front:
275/40R21
Rear:
285/40R21

I believe I have seen some members post the rear size being okay, but I believe the front might be a little ambitious?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• Disagree
Reactions: Golfer and You.
Solution
I run 265/40R21 on the front and would not suggest going any larger — thus I agree with your intuition that 275/40R21 is a bit “ambitious”. I can virtually guarantee significant rubbing should this size rubber be mounted on the MYP with stock Uberturbines.

With regard to the proposed size for the rear axle, you can confidently mount your proposed spec (285/40R21) without issue.

Good luck.
Try Discount Wheel Warehouse, I just paid less than $1200 for 4 285/35/20 Michelin All seasons delivered.
Thanks for the suggestion. Love your knowledge on the MYP. I can't find any threads about max size for MYLR.

Quick question before I buy these tires. On my MYLR, I have spacers (15 Front, 20 Back) and currently running the stock 255/40/20 with no issues.. Do you think the 285/35 will rub with the spacers? Or would you recommend just removing the spacers? Thank you!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion. Love your knowledge on the MYP. I can't find any threads about max size for MYLR.

Quick question before I buy these tires. On my MYLR, I have spacers (15 Front, 20 Back) and currently running the stock 255/40/20 with no issues.. Do you think the 285/35 will rub with the spacers? Or would you recommend just removing the spacers? Thank you!
Rears should be fine either way, fronts vary depending on individual cars. I do know some people have used heat gun if wheel well trim is a bit tight on front.

Upvote 0
There is zero tire side wall protection for the 21’ Ubers; Driving me crazy, my wife is ruining the wheels. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Incredible 😬 😂🤣
Agree however this is easily solvable via a proper tire specification (read: wider tires to better align with the w i d e wheels). 265 fronts and 295 rears work very well. Added bonus #1: improved ride quality. Added bonus #2: reduced wheel/fender gap. Added bonus #3: better aesthetics overall.

I parked next to a nice but bone-stock MYP today in a parking garage and, next to my tire-modified MYP, it looked almost comical. I remember the days of not wanting people to even look at my Ubers for fear of damage but, fortunately, those days are in the rearview mirror…

Oh—and my wife never drives the MYP — buying her a MYLR of her own was less stressful. And yes, the stock Gemini covers are already dinged up — fortunately @ $25/corner, their a simple and cheap fix.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Agree however this is easily solvable via a proper tire specification (read: wider tires to better align with the w i d e wheels). 265 fronts and 295 rears work very well. Added bonus #1: improved ride quality. Added bonus #2: reduced wheel/fender gap. Added bonus #3: better aesthetics overall.

I parked next to a nice but bone-stock MYP today in a parking garage and, next to my tire-modified MYP, it looked almost comical. I remember the days of not wanting people to even look at my Ubers for fear of damage but, fortunately, those days are in the rearview mirror…

Oh—and my wife never drives the MYP — buying her a MYLR of her own was less stressful. And yes, the stock Gemini covers are already dinged up — fortunately @ $25/corner, their a simple and cheap fix.

Good luck.
What setup do you recommend for the MYLR?

Upvote 0
Looks good. Could you share some pics of the sidewalls and how far over is it from the rims? Considering this setup for mostly preventing curb rashes on street parking. Thanks.
Sorry for the long delay...

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 1.07.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 1.08.17 PM.png

Reactions: necroregion
Upvote 0
This thread seems fairly dormant, but I'll add this.

My 265 & 295/40zr21 Conti DWS06 Plus A/S have completely transformed this vehicle. I'm no longer constantly wary of curb rash or pothole damage (not saying it couldn't happen). I now have a more civilized ride with no detectable performance loss. They shrug off potholes that used to torture my spine. After 4K miles, I've experienced zero rubbing or added body roll. I have increased confidence in the wet. The more aggressive stance and reduced wheelwell gaps greatly improve aesthetics. Range loss, if any, is minimal. And I quickly learned to mentally compensate for the speedo offset (+3 mph at indicated 70).

For me, in a general purpose vehicle, there's no serious downside to this mod. It's still a SPORT utility vehicle and now an improved daily driver and long hauler. I contemplated a square set-up on different wheels, but I still think the Ubers look best on the Y.

FYI, simpletire.com had the best price I could find for the Contis: $1425 shipped, significantly cheaper than, and very comparable to, the Michelin 4 A/S (I've had both on other cars). It's an anything-but-simple website, difficult to order. I ended up calling in my order.

Upvote 0
This thread seems fairly dormant, but I'll add this.

My 265 & 295/40zr21 Conti DWS06 Plus A/S have completely transformed this vehicle. I'm no longer constantly wary of curb rash or pothole damage (not saying it couldn't happen). I now have a more civilized ride with no detectable performance loss. They shrug off potholes that used to torture my spine. After 4K miles, I've experienced zero rubbing or added body roll. I have increased confidence in the wet. The more aggressive stance and reduced wheelwell gaps greatly improve aesthetics. Range loss, if any, is minimal. And I quickly learned to mentally compensate for the speedo offset (+3 mph at indicated 70).

For me, in a general purpose vehicle, there's no serious downside to this mod. It's still a SPORT utility vehicle and now an improved daily driver and long hauler. I contemplated a square set-up on different wheels, but I still think the Ubers look best on the Y.

FYI, simpletire.com had the best price I could find for the Contis: $1425 shipped, significantly cheaper than, and very comparable to, the Michelin 4 A/S (I've had both on other cars). It's an anything-but-simple website, difficult to order. I ended up calling in my order.
100% agree with all points above—best mod for the MYP.

Upvote 0
As of todayvI installed 285/35/20 Michelin A/S On 9.5x20 with 35 offset. No problems no spacers. Rears when I drop the suspension about an inch will need 10 or 15mm spacers. Fronts might need 5mm but look about right at moment. No rubbing anywhere. Most places have a full finger gap on full kick either way. About 1/2 inch at top and back if wheel and tire . Totally workable. Started at 42lbs but expect to go down to 40lbs. Depends on wear pattern on edge of tires. As to comfort stiff firm but not as harsh or jumpy. Rear end will start to drift out on damp road feeling of understeer much reduced.

Upvote 0
Brand new 2022 MYP build date 6/22 with 105 miles. It came with Michelins and I put the rear 275/35zr21 on the front and new 295/35zr21 on the rears. I have not driven much since I just did it today, but it appears much safer for rough roads and potholes.

Attachments

• IMG_1876.jpeg
    IMG_1876.jpeg
    528 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_1845.jpeg
    IMG_1845.jpeg
    478.8 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0