Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MC Red 85 for Milwaukee - Any suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spent a lot of time reading the posts at this forum. I appreciate all the insight.

The car is for me and my wife encourage me to get it. (Good sign #1)

I happen to live 3.3 miles from one of the first certified Tesla repair facilities in the country, and a highly regard one too (Waukesha, Wisconsin? Really? Good sign #2)

Today I ordered an 85 with the following:

MC Red - I like all the colors. Normally I hate white but it was in my top 3. (Along with blue) Depending on the light and the photographer, MC red seems to change from an almost orangeish-red which I'm not crazy about to a light cherry red, which I think looks really sharp. I haven't seen it in person and I won't have a chance to before I confirm. Some comments would really help.
Tan - Black and gray also looked very nice. Tough decision. I think tan is the most popular for MC red, followed closely by black. Not so many grays. Actually, I think cloth seats are more comfortable but almost everyone here gets leather.
Obeche Matte - Seemed to go good with tan
Tech Package - Not much to debate there
Parking Sensors - My wife brushed the side of the garage about a month after we bought our Lexus RX400h. Didn't have to think twice about this one :smile:.
Subzero - I live in Wisconsin. Seemed like a nice thing to do for the backseat passengers. Seems like the other features in this package don't work so well so I'm buying it for the seat heaters. Jake from Michigan would approve.

I read that Wisconsin might not be the best place for 21" tires. Also the 21" tires were noisier so I didn't seriously consider the P85.

I will probably confirm in a couple days. Why wait? Might as well have it for most of our incredibly long summer.

I just ordered a similar one to you. Only difference:
Fog Lamps – why not for $500
Piano Black – If I was getting wood I would pick your choice. Personal preference.
Pano Roof – Wife really liked it so it was in.
No Subzero – Live in Tucson, AZ

Keep thinking about dual chargers. I have 50 amp breaker in garage so will not help there, but might on a road trip.

We ordered the MC Red in 85 as well.
- Tech package (must)
- Pano roof (you didn't mention it, but it gives a lot more headroom, and you'll love it during the summer)
- Carbon Fibre - got this as it won't scratch up and look like crap in 2 years like Piano Black
- 19 inch wheels, unless you want to replace your 21" every 10-15K miles.
- I got the interior lights instead of fog lights - really impressive and the fog lights don't work great (from what people have said). But it's only $500, get both.
- Black interior - tan will show dirt and stains, and in Wisconsin, the winters won't be kind to that interior
- Don't think dual charger is needed.
- I used to live in Chicago for 20+ years, I'd get the sub zero package as well, just for piece of mind.

I ordered MC Red after thinking long and hard about color- Been in Silver cars for many years, Decided I wanted something different, Thought about Grey, it looks so rich, but Red really got me excited.
I'm in Tucson too-So no need for Cold Weather package
:smile:

Looking for an upgrade to my Nissan LEAF, want to do road trips, really can't do that with a LEAF so Ordered the S85 and Twin Chargers- so that if we make trips to Phoenix or LA we can use the HPWC at the SC- Called and added the twin chargers a few days after confirming- Plan to go to Seattle sometime in 2015..

Piano Black –not worried about fingerprints.
Pano roof- really missed the sunroof in the LEAF.
Black Leather- shows less dirt than Tan or Grey
Tech package, wouldn't have bought the car without Tech
Smart Air- live on a dirt road, will hopefully smooth out the travel on it
Parking Sensors- Really like them on other cars
19"- don't need the 21s' to be happy, plus replacement costs just too high
Ultra High Fidelity Sound- Really wanted the XM and on road trips like to listen to music
Paint Armor- Did I say dirt road..
Parcel Shelf-

It's due mid June really looking forward to it

I spent a lot of time reading the posts at this forum. I appreciate all the insight.

The car is for me and my wife encourage me to get it. (Good sign #1)

I happen to live 3.3 miles from one of the first certified Tesla repair facilities in the country, and a highly regard one too (Waukesha, Wisconsin? Really? Good sign #2)

Today I ordered an 85 with the following:

MC Red - I like all the colors. Normally I hate white but it was in my top 3. (Along with blue) Depending on the light and the photographer, MC red seems to change from an almost orangeish-red which I'm not crazy about to a light cherry red, which I think looks really sharp. I haven't seen it in person and I won't have a chance to before I confirm. Some comments would really help.
Tan - Black and gray also looked very nice. Tough decision. I think tan is the most popular for MC red, followed closely by black. Not so many grays. Actually, I think cloth seats are more comfortable but almost everyone here gets leather.
Obeche Matte - Seemed to go good with tan
Tech Package - Not much to debate there
Parking Sensors - My wife brushed the side of the garage about a month after we bought our Lexus RX400h. Didn't have to think twice about this one :smile:.
Subzero - I live in Wisconsin. Seemed like a nice thing to do for the backseat passengers. Seems like the other features in this package don't work so well so I'm buying it for the seat heaters. Jake from Michigan would approve.

I read that Wisconsin might not be the best place for 21" tires. Also the 21" tires were noisier so I didn't seriously consider the P85.

I will probably confirm in a couple days. Why wait? Might as well have it for most of our incredibly long summer.
You will love the red, pictures do not do it justice. I got the pano because like look with the red and got the tan interior. We were choosing between silver or white and my wife and I both had red sports cars when we met in the 70's so want to revisit our youth. What ever your decision you will love it.

The MC red is really striking. It looks great with Gray 21" wheels but they are pricey. I bent two (pothole) and curbed three. They can be reconditioned. You will not like them in the snow. I bought 19" Rials from Tire Rack with Blizzack 60's when winter came. They look almost identical and I had no problems in almost 10,000 miles of winter driving. I often do things at the last minute so I got dual chargers and installed my own HPWC at home. Charge rate is 56mph at 239v. If you don't need the speed stick with the single charger. Installing an HPWC requires a separate 100A circuit and can get expensive. The only other advantage of dual chargers is if you are on the road you can take advantage of someone elses HPWC or other level 2 charging stations like the Clipper Creek CS 100 75A. Then you will really appreciate the extra speed. Marshall Auto Body has two free solar powered 24hr outdoor level 2 charging stations. An HPWC and the aformentioned CS100.
I hope you enjoy your car as much as we do ours.

Just to confirm, the seat heaters in the back are the same as the front. Figured that was a good choice for Wisconsin, especially if taking a long trip and conserving energy. I think the options look good, and I also got the obeche matte. This was mainly due to fingerprint concerns with piano black, but it also looks really nice.

I also read that the 19's are better for our potholes, but I loved the look of the 21's so I figured I'd see how long I could keep them in good shape. I am really curious to hear how the Blizzak LM-60's perform. In the Volt I had previously I went with Michelin Alpin PA3's, for the lower rolling resistance. But with this being rear drive in Wisconsin winters I was thinking about going with the better snow and ice traction over rolling resistance and sportiness. Thoughts?

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 vs. Blizzak LM-60 - Make Driving Fun with Performance Tires & Wheels | Tire Rack

Just to confirm, the seat heaters in the back are the same as the front. Figured that was a good choice for Wisconsin, especially if taking a long trip and conserving energy. I think the options look good, and I also got the obeche matte. This was mainly due to fingerprint concerns with piano black, but it also looks really nice.

I also read that the 19's are better for our potholes, but I loved the look of the 21's so I figured I'd see how long I could keep them in good shape. I am really curious to hear how the Blizzak LM-60's perform. In the Volt I had previously I went with Michelin Alpin PA3's, for the lower rolling resistance. But with this being rear drive in Wisconsin winters I was thinking about going with the better snow and ice traction over rolling resistance and sportiness. Thoughts?

Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 vs. Blizzak LM-60 - Make Driving Fun with Performance Tires & Wheels | Tire Rack
The LM 60's have been great on all our vehicles. They were great on the Tesla this winter. The only time I got stuck was in my own driveway. I backed out into 8" of snow and ended up having to shovel it all out from underneath the car which was actually, quite easy because of the flat bottom. I've had front wheel drive cars that were worse than the Model S in slippery conditions. I drove over 9000 miles this winter. There wasn't a day that I ever hesitated to use the car. The other cars our family has with them are an '09 SHAWD Acura TL, a '13 TSX and an '04 MDX. They are all installed in sets of four. The TL with these tires easily outperforms my 8000lb M1036 Humvee in snow up to 6", in fact I've never come across any AWD truck or car that does better.

Hi Footer, I live in Pewaukee and am scheduled for a "late June" delivery at the Highland Park Service Center. I ordered a Grey/Grey P85+with Tech, Pano Roof, Carbon Fibre, Fog Lamps, Subzero, Grey 21" w/red calipers, Interior lighting, Dual chargers, Tech Package, Air suspension, Parking Sensors, Fancy sound system and pretty much everything else including touch up paint for the car and wheels. It's soooo easy to add on when you are simply checking little boxes with my mouse. Where do you live?

Mark

I also live about a couple miles from Marshall Auto Body on the west end of Pewaukee Lake. I expect delivery the end of June on a Grey P85+ with grey interior, grey 21"s, carbon fibre and every available option and most of the accessories offered with the exception of the rear facing child seats. I'll have a Wall charger installed ay home next week but the charger at Marshall could come in handy. I've had quite a few cars but the waiting period is tougher on this one than any other - I can't wait.

Let's do that. Mine will be the first grey one I've ever seen and the 1st P85+ I've driven. My test drive was in a silver 85 which exceeded all my expectations. That being said it sounds like with the P+ we are getting a couple of fabulous automobiles. A friend of mine lives close to the plant and will attempt to take a factory tour when I get notification of my car being built. If it works as intended he'll video whatever part of my assembly he can which I think would really be interesting. I'm having a really good electrician come over on Wend the 4th to look at my power installation. If you need an electricians name I can highly recommend him.