Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU died - out of warranty - "Aftermarket Modifications waiver?"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why aren't you getting @EV-Fixme to repair it?

But if you are bent on getting Tesla to do it I suggest since you are in California and have service centres all over the place, have the stereo removed, then get the car to a different service centre to have them fix the MCU. Hopefully they have no record of you going to the first one.

I've talked to him, the stereo seems not easy to undo, I have a feeling I know who installed based on the description. Likely a top notch install.

Car is already at sc waiting, so will see if SC fixes, or I try to for him. Hopefully SC does not destroy certs "trying."

Also all dead mcu's are dead, sometimes I can revive them fully, sometimes not as full but mostly functional. Depends on the chip I get...

Reactions: brkaus
  • Helpful
Reactions: dark cloud
That is not how warranty and consumer protection laws work.

The burden is on Tesla.

True, but if Tesla says that your mods caused the problem and you don't agree your only option is to take legal action. (Arbitration, law suit, etc.)

Of course we know it is highly unlikely that an aftermarket audio system would cause the failure of the MCU as a whole. I could see that it could cause a failure in the audio/amp portion but not likely the MCU as a whole.

True, but if Tesla says that your mods caused the problem and you don't agree your only option is to take legal action. (Arbitration, law suit, etc.)

Of course we know it is highly unlikely that an aftermarket audio system would cause the failure of the MCU as a whole. I could see that it could cause a failure in the audio/amp portion but not likely the MCU as a whole.
Exactly.

They shouldn't be so foolish as to say an aftermarket stereo toasted the MCU. If they dug their heels in on me I would be sending a letter to the state AG so fast.

I really despise Tesla’s ****ery sometimes.

Why aren't you getting @EV-Fixme to repair it?

But if you are bent on getting Tesla to do it I suggest since you are in California and have service centres all over the place, have the stereo removed, then get the car to a different service centre to have them fix the MCU. Hopefully they have no record of you going to the first one.

my car is a daily driver, someone would have to remove the MCU, ship to socal, pay for repair ship back, pay for reinstall might take two weeks on the fast side and $1500 with lots of potential downside on damage to something.

service center is proceeding with new MCU and will let me know how it goes, saw that software update was successful on phone app so maybe it worked? next will be replacing steering wheel controls that was the original issue (Third time for that repair) possibly related to Failing MCU? #lemon

Of course we know it is highly unlikely that an aftermarket audio system would cause the failure of the MCU as a whole. I could see that it could cause a failure in the audio/amp portion but not likely the MCU as a whole

My installer has done over a dozen teslas, mine was a low budget (HA!!!) system but he explained taking the signal from the high level speaker output at the fron kickpanels into the DSP is the safest way and even in the supercars he has done installs in he has never had an issue. Power connection is on the low side since this is "only" a 1700 watt system, he guestimated 80 amps if I were blasting the bass so thats about 15% of available battery current.
Tesla is learning as they go and these cars are pretty groundbreaking in many ways which means they really dont know how they are going to fair in the wild. Easiest thing to do is blame the cstomer which they do at every turn in my experience (and my installer who has had run ins with them before).
They planned infrastructure for a low/no service center model and got burnt, especially in the bay area where there are incredibly high rates of ownership

What was the outcome? Did the service center cover it?
I was charged $2000 for the "refurbished" MCU which began rebooting weekly about 2 months ago and is laggy as hell. I took it in for the reboots and they said it was fine. I will hopefully be reimbursed for the $2000 MCU replacement per the nov 9th email but im sure it will have to be a fight cause they could care less about customers after the sale, and even less than that after you are out of warranty

This is an interesting thread (with a crappy outcome). I have an aftermarket amp and speakers in my car and my MCU failed earlier this year. It was replaced under warranty without a struggle. I believe the kick panels were tapped, but I'm not sure as I didn't do the wiring myself, just the speaker install. Regardless, the amp has nothing to do with the MCU as others have stated.