Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Failure Poll

Have you had the MCU issue and if so what year is your vehicle?

• 2016: YES

Votes: 59 53.2%
  • 2017: YES

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • 2018: YES

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • 2019: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2020: YES

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 2015: YES

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • 2014: YES

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 2013: YES

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • 2012: YES

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Some information:
The emmc memory in the original MCU1 was 8 GB. (I think)

The emmc memory in the "new" replacement daughter board is 64 GB...

On some of the other MCU threads the extended description of the part 2728211-S0-A
is "MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISIONED (64GB)"

So, it appears there is some room to work on the new board...

Shawn

Got my car back last Thursday. They did replace it with a remanufactured unit that has 64GB so hopefully this one will last. I did lose my driver profile settings but everything else appears to be there. Here is a cut and paste from the parts order email that I received.

MCU.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: E Dizzle
Got my car back last Thursday. They did replace it with a remanufactured unit that has 64GB so hopefully this one will last. I did lose my driver profile settings but everything else appears to be there. Here is a cut and paste from the parts order email that I received.

View attachment 580471
So it sounds as it perhaps the reman MCUs also include the new 64GB daughterboard. That would make sense.

I've had 4 MCU reboots following the virtual OTA 'fix' from Tesla.

All of these reboots are very long and basically have to reinitialize the navigation, which seems to me to be hard reboots, that I'm not doing.

Service center asked for specific time frames, which I provided.

I'm still covered under original warranty, why aren't they replacing these proactively when they are showing signs of needing replacement?

Can't remember if I posted an update here or not, but Tesla performed a script refresh on my MCU1 (July 2015 Model S 85D), and it is back up and running with no apparent issues for the past several hundred miles (put on about 600 miles since they did the refresh). They did a software update, and then another update came across that I was able to install on my own (like usually is the case). I am on 2020.24.6.11 now. Before their script refresh, the screen was black, and I had no music, climate control, or turn signals.

After the MCU replacement the center screen seems to go to sleep a lot more than it used to. I get in the car in the morning and the big screen is ready to go but the center screen takes about 30 seconds to fully wake up before I can put it to drive. It doesn't happen every morning but it's happened a handful already. Anyone have this happen?

How many of you were able to get the MCU replacement (not the upgrade) while still within your warranty? My original warranty on my 2016 MX 90D is ending in less than two weeks, but my MCU hasn't failed yet either.

Tesla preemptively ordered a MCU1 replacement during a mobile service when my X started having significant lack of audio issues a month or two ago. I received an e-mail yesterday stating the part had been delivered to my SC, so I set an appointment for next Monday (which would still be within my warranty). When I got the estimate in my app, I was shocked. $1250!

MCU,MDLX,NA PREMIUM,REMAN
Part #: 1098010-99-H
Delivered: August 31, 2020

That said, I received a text later in the day from the SC stating that the e-mail was incorrect...that they wouldn't have a replacement by Monday, so that particular item won't be taken care of on Monday after all. I'm awaiting to hear what they say if the estimate was a mistake, and whether or not the replacement would be covered within my warranty, even if the MCU arrives a week or more later.

I also have the extended warranty, but I'm so unclear what Tesla covers within their warranties that I have no idea what to expect when something fails.

On the bright side, I haven't experienced any audio issues since a recent software update. I have had other quirks though (graphics corruption on a blank dialog window, a false app notification that a passenger window was open, a passenger Falcon Wing Door that opened just shy of full even though the other side opened full without issue) though I'm unsure if they're related to a failing MCU.

Last edited:
After the MCU replacement the center screen seems to go to sleep a lot more than it used to. I get in the car in the morning and the big screen is ready to go but the center screen takes about 30 seconds to fully wake up before I can put it to drive. It doesn't happen every morning but it's happened a handful already. Anyone have this happen?

I have not had my screen replaced or repaired. And I have seen this a lot too for the last 2-3 weeks. So perhaps a software issue too? I'm on 2020.32.5 since yesterday and .3 for a week or so before that.

I'm awaiting to hear what they say if the estimate was a mistake, and whether or not the replacement would be covered within my warranty, even if the MCU arrives a week or more later.
I understand why an estimate would freak you out when you are under warranty if it wasn't explained, but I have a mobile service appointment today, and I got a text yesterday that said exactly this (emphasis mine):
The Mobile Service team has prepared your appointment. Please take a moment to review the Service section of your Tesla app to approve the planned work. Charges covered under warranty will be waived. Reply 'STOP' to stop updates. Msg & Data rates may apply.
That having been said, in your unique circumstance, hopefully they will still confirm that the replacement will still fall under warranty since the issue was reported prior to warranty expiration.

Mine wasn't replaced, they were able to bring it back with a "software fix." Before that, the screen was black with no turn signals.... Now most mornings yes, vertical center screen is on but dash screen behind wheel is off and takes time to come on before I can drive. This also started happening before my big screen failed so I hope it's not a signal that another failure is imminent.

So if I were to buy a 2016 with a 2 year warranty the odds are pretty good I would get MCU2 for free after 1 dies?

Assuming it fails within the 2 year warranty, Tesla will refurbish your MCU1. You do not get MCU2 for free.

Mine wasn't replaced, they were able to bring it back with a "software fix." Before that, the screen was black with no turn signals.... Now most mornings yes, vertical center screen is on but dash screen behind wheel is off and takes time to come on before I can drive. This also started happening before my big screen failed so I hope it's not a signal that another failure is imminent.

Do you have Energy Savings on or Always Connected off under the Display settings?

I just wanted to say that this is my exact experience. I had issues with MCU not rendering graphics, reboots, etc and Tesla pushed some sort of script down and this is now my experience. Big screen on in the morning, but behind the steering wheel screen take a while to boot up and power up the car.

What warranty does a new MCU2 get if purchased?
Per https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty:
Touchscreen and Media Control Unit: 2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first
Interestingly, this doesn't mention AP hardware (like FSD upgrade). However, the linked PDF does include the same information, and that document says it is effective July 2nd, 2020. Also, this is a parts, body, and paint repair warranty. The MCU2 upgrade may not be treated as a repair, so some other warranty may apply.

Last edited: