Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how far back the retrofit will work? AP1 cars? I'm guessing it would be hella expensive so even though I'd like it, I won't do it. Hope I at least get the software updates and new Nav. How much would you guys be willing to spend? $3k? $5k? More?

I wonder how far back the retrofit will work? AP1 cars? I'm guessing it would be hella expensive so even though I'd like it, I won't do it. Hope I at least get the software updates and new Nav. How much would you guys be willing to spend? $3k? $5k? More?
Depends upon how fast the software upgrade makes the old stuff. Right now, I wouldn't pay even $500 because my system is working "good enough" for me. If it was horrible, I might go $1000. Any higher than that, save the money for the next Tesla I buy.

Reactions: jgs
I had previously emailed support re: upgrade and received no response and then Elon twitted the it's possible and then I received the following back from support. I plan to contact them Monday. I have a X 90D from 2016.

"Hello xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support. I have forwarded your request to your local service center, Xxxxxxxxx, XX (Xxx-xxx-xxxx ), regarding upgrading your touchscreen to the Intel based touchscreen. Please reach out to them at your earliest convenience so they can assist you with scheduling an appointment that best fits your schedule.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752)."

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Well that is new. I doubt they know the cost or availability of the parts yet. It will be interesting to see how they respond.
They said to me at the SC “Any available upgrades would be featured on you MyTesla account.“ Tesla employee need to work on their responses. Saying, “I don’t know so let me get you solid reliable correct information.” Rather than making up complete nonsense. I love the people at my SC but there is room for improvement.

Update: I just escalated to the executive team to get a clear answer.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: jaguar36
My Nav Screen has gone blank on its own about 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Reboot brought it back, but one of the times, I had trouble rebooting. 3 yr service check coming in June. If it is related to the MCU, hope I can get a new and improved version (willing to pay some money for that, guessing $500 is my limit). I got the new and improved tail lights (for free) when I was showing water leaking into them last year.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Sorry to disappoint, but $500 won't cut it. The new MCU needs a couple of things:

- New CID (instrument cluster). It is a screen driven by the MCU2 instead of a separate computer with MCU1.
- New MCU
- New wiring harness (new antenna cable, new display cable)
- New side mirror mounts (they contain the new antennas)

Hardware aside, this will also mean more than a couple of hours labor.

• Love
Sorry to disappoint, but $500 won't cut it. The new MCU needs a couple of things:

- New CID (instrument cluster). It is a screen driven by the MCU2 instead of a separate computer with MCU1.
- New MCU
- New wiring harness (new antenna cable, new display cable)
- New side mirror mounts (they contain the new antennas)

Hardware aside, this will also mean more than a couple of hours labor.

Technically they could create a retrofit MCU that didn't need any of that stuff. Sure you wouldn't get all of the improved features, like 5Ghz WiFi support, but you would get the faster Intel CPU.

But in either case it will likely cost much more than $500.

Reactions: brkaus
I had previously emailed support re: upgrade and received no response and then Elon twitted the it's possible and then I received the following back from support. I plan to contact them Monday. I have a X 90D from 2016.

"Hello xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support. I have forwarded your request to your local service center, Xxxxxxxxx, XX (Xxx-xxx-xxxx ), regarding upgrading your touchscreen to the Intel based touchscreen. Please reach out to them at your earliest convenience so they can assist you with scheduling an appointment that best fits your schedule.

Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle. If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support 24/7at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752)."

Sigh.

I love Tesla and everything they stand for, but how many more years will it be before they figure out how to commicate?

I was at our SC last week and asked this same question; they had NO idea of the pricing on the MCU upgrade, nor any idea when they would.

It's especially applicable to us as we have a new MCU for us waiting in the parts department. Since we have the "yellow bar" problem on our 2017 MS, why bother installing an new "old" MCU if we might just step up to the new MCU (with a 100% labor discount since they have to replace the old MCU anyway)?

For now, we'll just put up with the yellow bars until Tesla figures it all out.

• Funny
Technically they could create a retrofit MCU that didn't need any of that stuff. Sure you wouldn't get all of the improved features, like 5Ghz WiFi support, but you would get the faster Intel CPU.

Well, although that is correct I highly doubt tesla will retrofit new MCU's and don't bother for the new antenna.

If the car ever gets sold as CPO the new owner will complain that his 5G WiFi does not work, and then Tesla will have to retrofit everything that was skipped then.

It also adds a second layer of complexity if they would let you keep the old CID.

So this all adds complexity and trouble for Tesla, while the only benefit is lower costs of retrofitting for the owner. If I were Tesla, I wouldn't do it without retrofitting all required parts.

Why? They sell AP1 cars as CPO without retrofitting AP2. They sell cars with the 3G cellular board without retrofitting them with LTE.

There is a difference in another hardware version and a car that was "half upgraded".

with your solution you are "upgrading" a perfectly working MCU1 to a half-working MCU2 that is missing 5G WiFi due to missing upgraded wire harness althought the documentation say it should work

It's also difficult to explain to a new owner 'Yeah, you need the old CID althought you have MCU2 because the previous owner didn't do a full upgrade. The old CID is more epxensive because its a computer instead of a screen'.

It just adds tons of problems by doing a half baked upgrade

• Disagree
Reactions: brkaus and MP3Mike