Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU returned to Telsa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had my MCU replaced, the screen was fine. Requested for Tesla to return my original screen unit so that I could sell it on Ebay. They told me all units are returned to Telsa to under go a thorough assessment to figure out what the root of the issue was in order to improve product reliability. How is it that i see dozens of screens for sale then?

I wrote a long rant last week about having to pay for this repair but honestly it was on me. It's a one owner 2013 p85 with 23k in mint condition and this happened a month after buying it. If you don't but from Tesla, they certainly will make you pay for every bit of it. Regardless, I took the risk. Having said that, buying it 3rd party should be irrelevant in this case and even after such a crappy experience with the dallas service dept, they pull this on me. The service manager looked dumbfounded when I asked for the screen back. They went out of there way to make every part of this experience a bad one. I really think Audi is going to make a huge dent once they release the Etron.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Basically Tesla lies and hopes that people don’t question them or aren’t aware of their rights.

State laws vary, but if you paid full price for the repair without any “core charge” or similar you are generally entitled to the old parts. You will need to fight Tesla on this because they generally disregard the law until confronted.

• Love
If your MCU was bad, why did you have your screen replaced it it was working perfectly?
Understand they are two different components.
The screen was a replaced in 2018 and was working perfectly. When I asked them they told me it was one component. If that was the case why didn't they replace the MCU as well in 2018. The service manager/director had a blank stare and apologized that I was "misinformed". This is the same service center that told me that these components have a shelf life and that it is very common to have to replace the MCU every 4-6 years. I'm done with Dallas Service and headed to Plano which apparently has a much better reputation.

On a side note, while I was there another customer asked where he could get a rubber key chain. Rep said they only sold them online only and it would be 5-10 days to get one. I literally saw another service manager grab one from a drawer and hand it to another customer while I was waiting. These guys don't have a clue.

• Informative
When I took delivery in 2017 the rubber key chain was supposed to be included with your key fobs. They didn't have any in stock but they gave me a pair for free the next time I visited the center.

This was also the Dallas SC. That being said, I go to the one in Plano now since it's much closer.

The screen was a replaced in 2018 and was working perfectly. When I asked them they told me it was one component. If that was the case why didn't they replace the MCU as well in 2018. The service manager/director had a blank stare and apologized that I was "misinformed". This is the same service center that told me that these components have a shelf life and that it is very common to have to replace the MCU every 4-6 years. I'm done with Dallas Service and headed to Plano which apparently has a much better reputation.

On a side note, while I was there another customer asked where he could get a rubber key chain. Rep said they only sold them online only and it would be 5-10 days to get one. I literally saw another service manager grab one from a drawer and hand it to another customer while I was waiting. These guys don't have a clue.

I'm wondering what to do myself at this point. I have a 2013 P85 with 115k miles. My MCU screen is leaking adhesive pretty badly now so I inquired about a replacing the screen, which I was quoted around $1400. After reading all the stories about failed MCUs, I asked what the price would be to replace the whole MCU and I was quoted $2100. Do you all think it's worth the extra $700 just to replace the whole MCU?

I'm dealing with the Houston Service Center and they're friendly and all but not really accommodating with the pricing. I paid $1100 for the TPMS Retrofit when others in the past were quoted closer to $600...