Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU Upgrade - 2016 Model X AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all. My MCU upgrade is scheduled for Friday! Is the upgrade solely for speed/ease of use, or are there aesthetic improvements? To say differently, does the upgrade give you a new operating system with new graphics? Or does everything look the same (but is just faster)?

Another novel reason to do the FM radio upgrade along with MCU2 could be so that you can use it in drive-in theaters that broadcast an FM audio signal in addition to or in lieu of any per parking spot audio devices. I don't know how many of these exist, and FOMO around the same didn't trigger me to do it, but it might be a relevant consideration for someone...
We bring a portable FM radio when driving around looking at Christmas lights that are synced via a FM transmitter and putting on a show. In the off chance I would go to a drive-in, I'd do the same thing and pocket the $500. I completely forgot drive-ins existed, got used to going to Alamo Drafthouse.

• Helpful
Reactions: mxnym
Upvote 0
Another novel reason to do the FM radio upgrade along with MCU2 could be so that you can use it in drive-in theaters that broadcast an FM audio signal in addition to or in lieu of any per parking spot audio devices. I don't know how many of these exist, and FOMO around the same didn't trigger me to do it, but it might be a relevant consideration for someone...
We definitely have done drive-in movies around Chicagoland and utilized FM. The sound was great and a fun putting. It was annoying dealing with the screen turning off and headlights occasionally turning on ... maybe there are better options in the latest FW vs what I used back then (ie. camp mode perhaps).

Drive-Ins around: Search for Drive-in Movie Theaters Near Me
Drive-in Theaters in the United States
Drive-in Theaters in Canada
Drive-in Theaters in Australia
Interactive Drive-in Map

Upvote 0
Personally I didn't do the $500 upgrade but I dont listen to the radio much. $500 is a lot of money just to listen to the radio, that could be 4 years of paid Spotify premium for the same price.

It sounds like you do listen to it a lot and it might be worth the extra money just to have the snappy/ease of use of tuning the radio instead of loading the streaming and buffering and loading of the online radio equivalent.

If I were you I would try out the "free" streaming options and then decide if it is too much of a hassle. It's the same $500 if you do the upgrade at the same time or not ....but.... they may no longer offer the upgrade to the radio service in the future.

The kind of nice thing about the radio upgrade is that the cost is the same ($500) whether you do it at the same time as the MCU or later on. So if you don't get it done initially and find that you really want it, you can get it done later for the same cost (Assuming they don't raise the cost .)

Upvote 0