Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2015 85D which I upgraded to the MCU2 instead of doing the recall fix for the MCU1. In March, after a SW update, the navigation stopped working. I have rebooted the MCU (hold down scroll wheels), rebooted with the change tire size. Tesla also tried to push an update as well. Nothing worked.

I finally got a service appointment today and they are telling me the MCU needs to be replaced for $1500.

As you can imagine I"m not happy about this news and find it suspect that it's the MCU and not a SW/Firmware problem instead.

Anyone else had a MCU2 fail in this manner? Other things I should try?

Everything else works on the MCU, music, settings, traffic data etc.. just navigation is frozen and doesn't move

I'm hesitant to replace the MCU 2 again and may just wait for the CA right to repair law in July to go into effect which would require Tesla to sell me the parts to fix what is broken (and not selling a whole MCU2 would not be compliant with the new law)

The MCU has a 16GB SD memory card it uses to store Navigation data. For some reason Tesla generally does not replace this card when switching out the MCU, and the early SD cards, 2015 included, were not designed for 8 -10 years use, and fail. I'd sure tell Tesla to replace that first and see if the issue is resolved. It is not expensive.

Many have replaced this themselves, but you must disassemble the dash and the SD card slot is sometimes difficult to reach. Also, the data on the card is needed to either be downloaded or copied. Search for the NAV SD card for more info. Also, there are YouTube videos on how to replace it.