Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 higher screen resolution ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who upgraded the MCU2, have you noticed the screen resolution changed? Thought it might be nicer to have higher resolution like 4K? Since it’s has hundreds times faster GPU compare to MCU1.

what is the resolution for MCU1 screen?

Can’t speak to the specs or resolution but I had a 14 S with MCU 1 and did a side by side comparison with the one in a 20 X. The new version was much sharper, and maps more precise, that coupled with the response time was a big deal for me. For example I used the voice command to play a song, MCU 1 took almost a minute to find it then buffer and finally play, MX on the other hand took about 5 seconds to do all of that (both have 4g). Also did a voice command to navigate home and again same thing almost a full minute for the original and only a few seconds for the new.

• Helpful
Reactions: E Dizzle
Can’t speak to the specs or resolution but I had a 14 S with MCU 1 and did a side by side comparison with the one in a 20 X. The new version was much sharper, and maps more precise, that coupled with the response time was a big deal for me. For example I used the voice command to play a song, MCU 1 took almost a minute to find it then buffer and finally play, MX on the other hand took about 5 seconds to do all of that (both have 4g). Also did a voice command to navigate home and again same thing almost a full minute for the original and only a few seconds for the new.
Agreed. Doing anything audio-related took (what seemed like) forever with MCU1. With MCU2, it's 10x faster. Graphics are sharper, too.

• Helpful
Reactions: VikH
I just asked for an MCU2 upgrade and the Service Center said that my 2017 MS is eligible, even though I only have EAP, and they asked if I wanted to keep existing screen for a 10% discount. Since my current screen just had UV treatment to remove the yellow borders, I am concerned it will come back so I prefer a new screen. Anyone know if the "new' screens still are susceptible to yellowing?

I also didn’t get a discount for trading in my screen...
Them keeping the old screen is a part of the $2500 price for the MCU2 upgrade. The reference to the 10% discount is if they did the MCU2 upgrade and did not change the screens, just the computer and interfacing parts. You drive away with your old screen still in the car for the price of $2250. Wasn’t a big enough discount for me. I paid the full $2500 plus tax.

I remember reading years ago that mcu 1 screen resolution is 1920 x 1200 and that mcu 2 is 1920 x 1080.

Having had both mcu 2 still “looks” better to me because of how much smoother the experience is.

I also seem to remember the screen for the instrument cluster is a higher resolution on mcu 2 than on 1.

• Informative
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
If you leave the mcu1 screen in and do the rest of the mcu2 upgrade- would it still have the same resolution of the mcu2 screen?

what I’m wondering is are both screens the same resolution ?

I asked the same question. According to them, it's exactly the same. Rather than worrying about issues with the new one, I opted to keep my old one since it works fine. I also thought 250 was a great deal since a screen replacement is at least a grand so if I got to keep the old one I could sell it for more savings than 250. Turns out the 2500 is WITH turning in the old one. If you want to keep it, they charge you 1000. So this is a must for those with yellow screens, but if your screen is fine, just get the discount.

Screenshot_20200717_074204.jpg

Screenshot_20200717_074344.jpg

If you want to keep it, they charge you 1000.
Just for the sake of clarification, I'm guessing that the $1000 core charge is to keep the entire MCU1. If I am correct, you might be able to indicate that you want to keep the screen, but not the MCU, and there might be a lower core charge available. However, I'm not sure the MCU or screen are worth keeping for the average individual (you need to have the right knowledge and hardware to power up the MCU or connect the screen to something else).