Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 repair costs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cure for the banding was using a UV light so probably not that great an expense, they didn't actually replace it, but as Pink Duck says, I thought it was only an MCU1 problem.

You can check which MCU it has by going to, I think, software tab then "Additional vehicle information" - you're looking for

Infotainment processor​

NVIDEA Tegra = MCU1,
Intel Atom = MCU2 and earlier M3,MY,
AMD Ryzen = MCU3 and 2021 MS, MX

Oh. Didn't know it was MCU1 only. Car is June 2018 reg so I had assumed MCU2. Online photos don't show the extra info thing with the processor information.

I'd have guessed MCU1 anyway just by the look of it rather than it being MCU2. It's high mileage so cheaper and the right colour so it was tempting but that and the windscreen crack I've just noticed suggests it's not a good choice.

The MCU2 came out in 2018 but not sure all cars would definitely have it. Registered in June would probably mean built in April or possibly May to give time to ship.
I had the yellowing with MCU1 right before I had the MCU2 upgrade done, so I thought I had avoided the issue. However, my MCU2 screen actually did yellow after 3 years and the service center was surprised by that. It was out of warranty, but it only cost about $36 (yes, only thirty-six US dollars!) for them to do the UV treatment and all the yellowing is completely gone. So I wouldn't let the yellowing stop you if everything else is good with the car.

By the way, my wife's Model X (which came with MCU2 in the first place) had the UV treatment for hers done 4 years ago and it never came back.