Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 Upgrade and no AM or FM radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally bit the bullet in February and had the MCU1 upgraded to MCU2 as the original MCU was becoming very slow and needed multiple resets on occasion to get it to function.
Being one of the oldest Model S in Australia it needed additional hardware which brought the cost to $2,780.
When I got the car back many of the apps wouldn’t load, in particular TuneIn would lock up and you couldn’t log out or back in. Service had transferred my settings across to the new screen so they suggested that I did a full factory reset, which fixed the TuneIn problems but wiped all history and saved addresses.
With that addressed I was less than impressed by the strength of the 4G signal, with the new screen constantly losing connectivity, even in places where the old MCU1 worked fine.
I put up with it for a month thinking it may just be what 4G coverage is like, but as it can still connect to 3G it really should be better.
Then last month I went to go out to dinner and when I jumped into the car no screen would wake although the doors and lights came on. As we were in a hurry I used a different car to go to dinner and whilst at the restaurant tried to connect to the car. To my surprise it responded and when we got home the screens were all fine.
All this for nearly $3,000 🤬
So I logged a service and have spent the last 3 weeks messaging back and forwards and have been unable to replicate the failure to wake but the connectivity issues continue.
On Monday it went in and they replaced the SIM card and I only got to use it today in anger and the connectivity is transformed, it now works in areas where even the old MCU didn’t, and I have just driven from Sydney to the Southern Highlands through the rain without a single drop out.
So to cut a long story short, the new MCU2 should have better reception than the old MCU1, don’t settle for something less.
Ouch. You got mucked around but glad they sorted it in the end!

Reactions: dronus and meloccom
I upgraded to MCU2 in 2016 S70 around 2 years ago now and have had constant connectivity issues. Old MCU1 would wake every time I tried to access via the app, and never dropped out the connection, unless due to lack of mobile reception. MCU2 for me is only accessible via the app if the car is already awake and drops out very often when driving. Just goes offline all the time, maps, music etc, no bueno. Service have looked at it and keep saying is fixed with a setting change (it isn’t) or to wait for the next update to address it, but yeah, 2 years later and just learnt to live with it unfortunately. Wondered is if this issue was more widespread than mine, others seems to have similar issue I think, so not sure how is still not addressed. Weird one.

Just in case the doom and gloom becomes to much... my MCU2 upgrade has worked well from day one. They promised faster wakeups, which did not eventuate, but only slower by a few seconds and one awake everything is responsive. There is good DAB reception, the UI is improved, and maps load quickly even with satellite view.