Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MCU2 upgrade for AP1 cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I created a service request to update to MCU2 + radio for my 2016 MX, currently with AP1 and MCU1. I was expecting $1750 for MCU2 + $500 for radio. Estimate came with $2250 for MCU2 + $500 for radio. I pointed to the language on the website and they replied that the $1750 price is only for MS!?! I've now asked for where on the website the price is different for MS and MX, but they've gone silent. I will probably just cancel the appoint, since this is terribly frustrating.

Owners of Model S and Model X built March 2018 or earlier are eligible to purchase an Infotainment Upgrade, enabling access to some of our favorite features like video streaming and an expanded Tesla Arcade, in addition to a more responsive and faster touchscreen experience.

Owners of compatible vehicles can schedule an appointment through the Tesla app for purchase and installation. This upgrade is available for $2,250 plus applicable tax, including installation, for vehicles equipped with Autopilot Computer 2.0 or 2.5 and for $1,750 plus applicable tax, including installation, for all other vehicles. Owners may confirm Autopilot Computer type by selecting ‘Controls’ > ‘Software’ > ‘Additional Vehicle Information’ on the touchscreen.

It is unfortunate that it costs more for the MX.

But I’m sure glad I upgraded mine in my MS. Well worth the price since it feels like a new car.

Seems odd that it would be more for MX since I thought the dash is pretty similar.

Reactions: John in LB
I created a service request to update to MCU2 + radio for my 2016 MX, currently with AP1 and MCU1. I was expecting $1750 for MCU2 + $500 for radio. Estimate came with $2250 for MCU2 + $500 for radio. I pointed to the language on the website and they replied that the $1750 price is only for MS!?! I've now asked for where on the website the price is different for MS and MX, but they've gone silent. I will probably just cancel the appoint, since this is terribly frustrating.

Update!

Tesla updated the estimate, and now the cost is in line with the website description.

$1750 MCU2 upgrade + $500 radio

Yep, after updating to 2022.44.30 I see Apple Music is available
I’m planing to do same things. I have service appointment on mar 4 and I have model X 90D 2016. MCU1 autopilot 1. Any pictures and description of differences will be greatly appreciated. Did they change both screens or just large one? Thank you in advance.

Both screens were changed. Not sure what pics would be useful for you.
Can you post screen with all available applications after update please? I have model X 90D and car currently on service (I have used car warrant) and they fixing couple things. Rep. Told me upgrade will will change autopilot as well but she was not sure about it. Can you double check if you still have AP 1.0 or this was upgraded as well?
Thank you n

YES! nearly instant start up. So much more responsive! That was another reason I wanted the upgrade.
Thanks, that’s been one of my pet peeves, the time I sit there waiting for it to power up, if I had an ice car, I could’ve put key in and drove away already!
Another question, with my current MCU, it says I have “Premium connectivity - included package”. So with upgraded MCU, will there be a monthly charge?

Thanks

Thanks, that’s been one of my pet peeves, the time I sit there waiting for it to power up, if I had an ice car, I could’ve put key in and drove away already!
Another question, with my current MCU, it says I have “Premium connectivity - included package”. So with upgraded MCU, will there be a monthly charge?

Thanks
You keep Premium connectivity.

Nav update, EU-2022.40-12215 is stuck trying to upload in my my 2015 MS85 with MCU1. Also, none of the pages in the on screen drivers manual load. Is this likely to be an SD card problem or the EPROM running out of memory? Tesla have offered the MCU2 upgrade, or a cheaper option for the Nav problem of a replacement SD card with the latest Nav on it, for £215. I don't use the browser or games and haven't noticed any other problems (yet). Is the MCU2 upgrade worth if for other improvements, and is it likely to resolve my Nav and manual problems?

Nav update, EU-2022.40-12215 is stuck trying to upload in my my 2015 MS85 with MCU1. Also, none of the pages in the on screen drivers manual load. Is this likely to be an SD card problem or the EPROM running out of memory? Tesla have offered the MCU2 upgrade, or a cheaper option for the Nav problem of a replacement SD card with the latest Nav on it, for £215. I don't use the browser or games and haven't noticed any other problems (yet). Is the MCU2 upgrade worth if for other improvements, and is it likely to resolve my Nav and manual problems?
The MCU upgrade probably includes a new SD card, so it will probably fix your nav problem. In my experience, it also made navigation much more responsive (I no longer had to wait 3+ blocks for an updated route after missing a turn). I believe the service manual loads in the browser, and my MCU upgrade also made the browser work much better, so I think it should resolve your service manual problem as well. The SD card replacement would probably NOT resolve your service manual issue and may not make the navigation as responsive as it should be (you didn't mention that problem, so if you didn't have it, that may have been due to the eMMC [which is also replaced with an MCU upgrade] and not the MCU itself in my case).

Thanks mxnym, useful advice. If I have to keep paying out for SD cards for future nav updates, and other areas start giving problems as well, it would probably be worth me getting the MCU2 upgrade, plus radio upgrade as I use FM quite a lot. I haven't had a noticeable problem with slow nav response yet, but I guess it's like upgrading your computer as the old one is getting slow and the small disk drive has filled up. Just something we need to budget for in a car with sophisticated a computer at it's heart.

Thanks mxnym, useful advice. If I have to keep paying out for SD cards for future nav updates, and other areas start giving problems as well, it would probably be worth me getting the MCU2 upgrade, plus radio upgrade as I use FM quite a lot. I haven't had a noticeable problem with slow nav response yet, but I guess it's like upgrading your computer as the old one is getting slow and the small disk drive has filled up. Just something we need to budget for in a car with sophisticated a computer at it's heart.
I don't think you should have to frequently replace the SD card. I think my SD card was replaced under warranty once, but the NAV upgrades should normally download and install to the same SD card without replacement. If your MCU1 is consistently responsive enough to you and the eMMC somehow gets replaced via some extended coverage on that component before you end up in the "nothing works but diagnostics don't say it failed yet" zone (hopefully that doesn't even exist anymore, but it was a thing, and paying for an upgrade instead of using the warranty was definitely the quickest way out of it), you may well be OK without the MCU upgrade, but it is worth keeping in mind that you may simply be kicking the can down the road.

Thanks again, mxnym. The MCU1 appears fine at the moment, excepting the Nav and drivers manual issues, one or both of which may not be down to the MCU. However, as you say, it might be kicking the can down the road to replace the SD card rather than go for the upgrade. I bought the car new more than 8 years ago so it's well out of all warranty's and I can get the driver's manual via the app. As for the Nav, I haven't noticed a problem, but I guess it may be missing recent road improvements.The car works fine in AP1 and even brakes automatically for a roundabout (existing) on a recently dualed road section, although it restricts to 60 instead of the new 70 and flags up a turnoff that is no longer accessible due to the new central reservation, which may be a clue. I think I'll sleep on it and not rush into spending money either way.