Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Benz B-Class Electric Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just learned that the price will be starting at around 60,000 USD. This is much more than I was expecting it would be.
Here is the link of the video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AccmX67tJJM

I can't see many people buying this car for $60K. I thought I remember reading something that it would be much cheaper than this, but I could be confusing this with another car. Something in the $30Ks might sell, but $60K for this car?

The new Mercedes CLA

mercedes-benz-cla-class.jpg

Looks great and it has a very good drag coefficient of cW = 0,23.
I'm just not sure what the strange thing in the red circled area is supposed to be. I do not really like that part, seems to be something from the ICE age.

> I can't see many people buying this car (B-Class) for $60K [SFOTurtle]

Just goes to show what an absolute BARGAIN the ModelS is!! You get it *ALL* for one low price!! Let Tesla put *YOU* in the driver's seat TODAY!!

[Late Night TV ads coming to a station near you very soon now] . . .
--

When looking at Mercedes investment in and collaboration with Tesla (on the Mercedes B-Class E-Cell, Smart, and, more to come), it might be foreboding something bigger as stated in this Seeking Alpha piece, "On Elon Musk and Tesla Motors: The Art of Modern Warfare In a Noble Cause" recently published by Julian Cox. Not going off topic, but, I think this is quite pertinent to the success of this particular partnership on Mercedes B-Class E-Cell because it will speak volumes to the probability of something bigger brewing in the near (or distant) future. This is purely conjecture, but, quite relevant to how this all might unfold...

Here is an excerpt from the article:
"The involvement of Daimler as a minor shareholder and participant in Tesla could be lifted directly from the pages of the Innovator's Dilemma with Daimler effectively positioning itself as heir apparent of the Tesla business upon maturity. In fact, a Daimler affiliate, Blackstar, holds a right to review any serious third party bid to purchase Tesla effectively preventing the sale of the business to another party without Daimler's consent unless Daimler is literally out-bid. Jerome Guillen, formerly leader of the Business Innovation department at Daimler is a key person at Tesla in his role as Director of Model S Programs. Harald Kroeger is a Tesla board member who is responsible for the electrics and electronics of all Mercedes-Benz cars and the development of Mercedes eDrive Vehicles. Effectively the companies, Tesla and Daimler are intertwined, which provides considerable security for both parties and alleviates the urgency for Daimler to dismantle its Mercedes ICE business until such a time that the EV market is considered large enough to enter with full commitment. Once Tesla has become fully established and effectively able to lead the Daimler global operations in EV production, there appears to be a pre-arranged path for that to happen. This arrangement provides Tesla with an option for a step-change in scale and for an exit most likely via the route of merger on a 2-5 year horizon. It is worth noting that in accordance with the strictures of the Innovator's Dilemma, this option would more likely lead to a Musk, Kroeger and Guillen leadership of Daimler, were it to take place rather than the absorption of Tesla as an adjunct to the ICE business."

A link to the full article (long and choppy but some great insights):
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1463661-on-elon-musk-and-tesla-motors-the-art-of-modern-warfare-in-a-noble-cause?source=yahoo

With this in mind, it will be very telling to see how this vehicle does as the first major "testing ground" between Mercedes and Tesla...

Last edited:
Guess the Plug-In | PriusChat - I wonder if this still uses a powertrain developed w/Tesla...

Yes, Tesla drivetrain, just like the Rav4 EV

10kW Tesla charger (counter to other reports... Tesla doesn't make a 6kw-7kW charger).

28kW battery previously reported. If it turns out to be a 30kW "useable" pack, I assume that it can cruise down a freeway at the same 250 wattHours or 4 miles per kWh as a LEAF, then that would be a very solid contender for 80-100 mile days with some cushion.

It will likely only have a Frankenplug, and no CHAdeMO option. Yes, it is a CARB compliance car, but reportedly not "compliance ONLY", like a Toyota Rav4 or Honda Fit EV.

Of course, they all say that, then just sell the car in California or other CARB states in limited numbers. I honestly don't expect anything different with the B-Class here in the USA.

Wow, 60k is way to much for that car, why would you not buy a Tesla? Thought it was going to be more around 35k.

The sticker price on the Toyota Rav4 EV is $50,870. The Daimler / Mercedes is a parallel program with Tesla, with each auto maker having to sell 0.79% in California... minimum.

Mercedes has to sell a whole lot less volume than Toyota, obviously. High price is fine; they will sell the hundreds that they need to sell, in addition to the Smart ED.

The prototype shown in Paris:
paris-2012-mercedes-benz-b-class-electric-drive-live-photos_17.jpg

Help me out with this one, if I am wrong. But the standard Type 2 plug has a round center pin. The Tesla Model S has a drop-formed center pin to be able to receive both standard Type 2 plugs and Tesla superchargers. This picture clearly shows the Mercedes also has a drop-shaped center pin?!

Thus might it be possible to charge it at Tesla's Supercharger stations? Some Tesla-Mercedes cooperation in deploying Supercharges stations in Europe?
(Now, where did I put my tinfoil-hat?)

I don't see the notch, and the teardrop center-pin also shows up in drawings of the generic European J1772 receptacles:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/0...ic_car_makers_back_ac_dc_power_port_standard/

Well, more specifically the keyed center-pin shows up on DC high power type-2 connectors.
See here: Europe: Future Charging for Model S 1-phase or 3-phase? (Part 2) - Page 41

That this Merc has the keyed center pin without the extra high power pins that normally come with the Mennekes Combo plug, suggests it might be able to use Teslas EU Superchargers.