Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Benz B-Class Electric Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that MB does not apparently "see" a market for an S-class exterior and interior with Model S-like underpinnings. They are usually not timid to try powertrain options on the S-class (i.e. diesel, hybrid, awd, rwd). Certainly they could/would work out the intellectual property/royalty concerns amicably between themselves.

I dunno, maybe some laissez faire for this car segment it is part of the deal between the two (I did not get the memo maybe :) ), but I would think if the MS would sell well..., then an S-class EV (with equivalent functionality of the MS) would be a no brainer.

the video says model b electric available from end 2014.
If USA mid 2014, Europe is possible at end of year!
From Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive Quietly Pushed Back To Summer 2014, Wont Be Nationwide Until 2015
What once was an expected release date of January of 2014 for the electric Mercedes, then was “early 2014,” has now turned into a regional roll-out sometime in the summer of 2014; with the B-Class ED not being available nationally until much later in 2015.

“…B-Class ED will be available starting summer 2014 at authorized Mercedes-Benz dealers in select states — CA, CT, MD, OR, NJ, NY, RI and VT — and then nationwide in early 2015.”

From Mercedes B-Class Electric Drive Quietly Pushed Back To Summer 2014, Wont Be Nationwide Until 2015
...…B-Class ED will be available starting summer 2014 at authorized Mercedes-Benz dealers in select states — CA, CT, MD, OR, NJ, NY, RI and VT

That is an odd group of "select" states. VT but not MA? VT, while a very "green" state in many ways (some literally--Green Mt. State and all), has very little public charging. MD but not VA? Once again, odd choice. At least include Northern VA.

I'm still hoping the B-Class will be available before the BMW i3 as the B-Class appears it will have more BEV range. Limited choices in 100+ mile EVs outside of California in 2014. Sigh.

Limited choices in 100+ mile EVs outside of California in 2014. Sigh.

I feel your pain on that one. Here in Ohio it is looking like I may still be limited to choosing between the Volt, Leaf, of Model S when my Volt lease ends in September 2015. As much as I like my Volt, I will be pretty grumpy is I am forced to buy another one when my lease ends (really want to get away from ICE completely)

I feel your pain on that one. Here in Ohio it is looking like I may still be limited to choosing between the Volt, Leaf, of Model S when my Volt lease ends in September 2015. As much as I like my Volt, I will be pretty grumpy is I am forced to buy another one when my lease ends (really want to get away from ICE completely)
By Sept. 2015, a used 60KWh Model S should be below 40K. There's also chatter of a LEAF with more battery capacity that might be available by then.

I think Daimler intends to build more than a compliance EV. They are going to sell it nationwide, and worldwide, after all. I certainly am going to give them the benefit of the doubt.

They also will need to compete with the i3, which has a DC fast charging option. (Too bad that one is optional, and there are virtually no comparable chargers in the field.)

GSP

Let's not kid ourselves. Until Tesla came along, there were no Ev's for sale because the current manufacturers didn't want to make them. Now, there are some compliance cars, and the Leaf. Since these same manufacturers still don't care about building EV's, they do and will continue to do the bare minimum required so that they can continue to sell ICE cars.

Let's not kid ourselves. Until Tesla came along, there were no Ev's for sale because the current manufacturers didn't want to make them. Now, there are some compliance cars, and the Leaf. Since these same manufacturers still don't care about building EV's, they do and will continue to do the bare minimum required so that they can continue to sell ICE cars.

At the LA auto show, Daimler's Mercedes-Benz (I always read "Mercury" when somebody puts "Merc") let it be known that it would only be offered in North America in some CARB states only. No surprise. Yes, they may sell them in Germany, too, but I can't imagine that it will do well without quick charging capability when other cars like Tesla, Nissan, Renault, Mitsubishi, BMW, Peugoet and Citroen all offer EV's with quick charge capability in Germany.

One issue for all the competition except BMW is that Germans generally don't buy foreign cars. Plus, Germany will have their own Frankenplug - Euro spec that none of the foreign competition use. All the others use CHAdeMO, Chameleon or for Tesla, the modified Mennekes for high powered DC.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by gg_got_a_tesla viewpost-right.png

The Merc B-class ED has NO DC charging at all; Supercharger or Chademo.
quote_icon.png

Which is a big mistake for any EV, in my opinion.

GSP

I completely agree. Why build a car without any DC charging ability?

Crippling the charging architecture is an easy way to protect your existing ICE models from intra brand EV competition. Looks like a viable car, but it isn't. Might lure some EV newcomers into a purchase, only to get an ICE as their next car. Or so they reckon.

My prediction is, if people start to like driving electric but got burned by such EV, they will turn to EV newcomer brands like Tesla, Samsung, LG, ...?