Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes Benz B-Class Electric Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it has the teardrop center pin, but not the notch at the top...
Could someone in Norway take a picture of the actual connector on the Tesla Supercharger? Does it has the notch?
If not we are on to something here. If it has the notch then I can take off my tinfoil hat.

It may be practical, but that doesn't mean it's pretty. I'd prefer an EV based on the new A class about a hundred times more than the B class, which I've always thought was ugly.

No wonder, since the A was originally designed as an electric car, with an AC drive train, but Mercedes went ICE afterwards. The car had space for the batteries in the
floor (like the Tesla S). The car was failing the moose test because lacking those batteries and low center of weight, the car was too light and center of gravity
was too high up.

These drive trains for the B are basically the same level Mercedes had obtained in the late 90ies. Both power and technology wise which means they either lost
the knowledge/tech since then, or really are using Tesla for the marketing effect.

In the Tesla Q3 earnings call today, Elon Musk said something to the effect that the Merc B-class will be a stand-out EV among the current crop of non-Tesla EVs.

The more I think about this car, I think Elon is right (as always) with that statement. The 115/130 mile range is enough for many of the people who want an EV, but need longer range than a Leaf offers. The success of this car will come down to price. It's a Merc, so many people will be willing to pay a little more for it, but if it gets too expensive, most buyers will just go with a Model S instead. If the B-Class Electric around $40k-$45k before tax credits, and is available nationwide (the longer range is a bigger competitive advantage outside of CA, where there is little charging infrastructure) the B-Class will take a significant chunk of sales away from the Leaf, Volt, and i3. I know if this car was available in September of last year at $45k when I leased my Volt, I would likely be driving it instead of a Volt.

The more I think about this car, I think Elon is right (as always) with that statement. The 115/130 mile range is enough for many of the people who want an EV, but need longer range than a Leaf offers.
The range is good, but the problem is that like the RAV4-EV, there's no DC charging and it probably won't be available outside CARB states.

Strange that the Tesla battery train-equipped (non-Tesla) cars alone - the RAV4 EV and now, the B-class - have no DC charging. May have been too expensive to develop for compliance cars?!

When you're building a car for one reason (earn credits to be allowed to sell bazillions of mucho profitable oil cars), adding features like DC charging has no merit.

The CARB-ZEV credits are based on range and refueling speed. Unfortunately, DC quick charging does NOT qualify for fast refueling (Tesla gets that credit by virtue of battery swap capability). Virtually all the manufacturers stop at a 100 mile range to get 3 credits, because the next jump is double the range (200 miles) for only 25% more credit (4 credits, instead of 3).

So, there's a reason why the Toyota Rav4 EV is EPA rated at 103 miles, and why the Mercedes will likely be some number between 80-100 miles EPA, but will be able to get 100 plus miles on the EPA Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule (UDDS), commonly called the "LA4" or "the city test".

Since neither Tesla, nor Mitsubishi are obligated to CARB-ZEV mandates, they are the only EVs that vary from this quasi "100 mile range" herd. I think a Mitsubishi iMiev is only 62 EPA miles !!!