Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mercedes E350 Sport to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reduced range pretty much applies to all AWD models.
The 20" wheels on the P bring a different level of reduction.

Although it probably is NOT the "stickiness" of the tires that does it. The profile of the Tesla OEM PS4S 20" tires are a lot wider, quite a bit wider than even the standard PS4S in 235/45R18. I see nearly no range difference with the later on my AWD compared to the stock MXM4 18" tires on the same rims. So it probably isn't the tread compound, and its slightly lower RR, that's the issue.

Last edited:
The glass roof was a problem for me.
The roof really has turned out to be a non-issue here in Houston. At least in the front seat. The factory coating on it means it is basically the same as a metal roof. In the back seat if you are really tall and your head gets close to the glass you can start to feel the heat radiation on really hot days, but in the front seat nah. The AC is very good, too. Especially since I can start it before I walk across the parking lot to get to the car.

<edit> And in the backseat that's the rear window, not the roof.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nels and Petrocelli
Mercedes is an old man's brand. This is a classic Blackberry-iPhone transition and some elderly folks will struggle, but most will not. My P3D has been perfect through 10k miles. I did take it in for airbag service, which took two minutes to book on the Tesla website. They gave me a Model S loaner. I also had mobile service come make me three spare key cards (keys for you Mercedes fans). Total cost was $15. I cannot imagine better service than I have had so far.

My Tesla is the best car I have owned, or driven for that matter. There is a lot of negativity out there. Find an actual owner, not a wanna-be, and drive their car, ask them questions. Tesla fans are called rabid but it turns out there is a good reason. BTW I am 57.

• Disagree
Reactions: heysteveh and cbaaz
Mercedes is an old man's brand. This is a classic Blackberry-iPhone transition and some elderly folks will struggle, but most will not. My P3D has been perfect through 10k miles. I did take it in for airbag service, which took two minutes to book on the Tesla website. They gave me a Model S loaner. I also had mobile service come make me three spare key cards (keys for you Mercedes fans). Total cost was $15. I cannot imagine better service than I have had so far.

My Tesla is the best car I have owned, or driven for that matter. There is a lot of negativity out there. Find an actual owner, not a wanna-be, and drive their car, ask them questions. Tesla fans are called rabid but it turns out there is a good reason. BTW I am 57.
But the forums say your car is crap! Aren’t you afraid to drive that death trap!

• Funny
Reactions: KG M3 and Nels
Mercedes is an old man's brand. This is a classic Blackberry-iPhone transition and some elderly folks will struggle, but most will not.
Concerns made previously by a long time Mercedes owner did not strike me as being skewed or influenced by his age.

I am 58. Long time German car owner (Mercedes, BMW, Porsche) and present Model 3 owner (and still own a German car that I love).

Never owned a Blackberry. LOL.

I have tried to respond politely to the OP to point out a couple things to consider when buying a Model 3 after owning a Mercedes. This has resulted in ridicule and insults being heaped upon Mercedes (and me). Now that the gloves are off, let me tell the OP why I opted for Mercedes over a Model 3.
That’s just weird. You came into these forums a few weeks ago, with the claim you were gathering info to make a car purchasing decision. You apparently chose to stick with a MB. Now you spend your days, evenings, and weekends posting in a forum for a car you have never owned and apparently have no intention of owning.

For those of us who have extended experience owning, driving, and living with our Teslas (or two) you’ll have to understand that we 1) don’t give anything you say much credence, and 2) you clearly have an ax to grind.

For all the anecdotal points you list, that’s exactly what they are. Go to a product forum of any kind and you’ll collect problems - because that’s why a lot of people go to the product forums. For help.

As to the car being built in a tent, whatever. If that’s your best bitch, you can have it.

I have an X and a 3P. They are the two best cars I’ve ever owned. I’ve had two A4s, a CLK, a Q5, RX350, Volt, and ELR. None of them compare (except maybe that first A4) to the Teslas. It’s not even close. But what do I know compared to you? Oh, I actually own and drive Teslas.

As to the car being built in a tent, whatever. If that’s your best bitch, you can have it.
Yeah, he used the old "tent" complaint. I still haven't heard anyone offer a reason why a waterproof, windproof, tent is any worse a place to build a car than a big metal shell with huge doors open on all sides. This something people bring up purely to make fun of Tesla. There no basis for real argument that the "tent" actually affects quality in any way. Teasing and name calling are the last stand for people who have lost an argument on logical basis. I wonder if he lives a house that was built outdoors with no protection at all during construction.

Traded my W212 E350 Sport for a 2019 M3 SR+. There were many reasons that I made the decision, but truth be known my disappointment in the E350's handling was probably the biggest factor in my never really being satisfied with the W212.

Background; first car was an Opel GT, followed by RX7's, then 73 911, 84 911, 944, C4 Vette, C6, MR2 Turbo, a whole bunch of Miatas over the years. Done a few track days, but am far from a competitive driver. Had a family, fell in love with E Class wagons starting with the W210 and picked up the W212 sedan as a companion to the wagon to scratch the "sport" itch w/ something that I could put kids in.

Initially, on PZero's the E350 was too stiff. It stuck on a smooth surface but was too heavy and too stiffly sprung to corner if the road was not perfect. It would lose composure and bounce itself out of a corner. It pulled pretty well, but always felt heavy and of course you have to wait for RPM and wait for the transmission and after a three-count - off you go. The interior is not anywhere near as nice as the W210's. Seats hard as a rock. The interior does look nice. Ambient lighting and the gague cluster on the 2013 model was reminiscent of the way Porsche would lay theirs out. The sound system was great. It had a web browser and other advanced features that Mercedes decided to take away via software update for liability reasons. Swapped the tires a couple of times to less sport-oriented tires and became happier with the E350 but it worsened the already dull steering feel and poor chassis coordination.

Drove a M3 and was hooked. First, the sightlines over the top of the fenders and absence of a firewall, as well as the small steering wheel resonated up with memories of my 911SC. No, they are not remotely the same car, but the SR is a little tail happy with slip start on when faced with a high-speed off-camber turn. The M3 reminds me more of my business partner's 996 Turbo. The physics are kind of the same, with a very low center of gravity and a need to transfer weight to the back to hook it back up. Also, the World's best sports cars are not rock hard (which the E Class does because it is too heavy and the CG sucks), the 3 has a very nice balance of compliance and is dialed in better than my other daily driver, a VW GTI. The low center of gravity and RWD probably is a much easier platform for Tesla to tune.

As others have mentioned the body and paint on the Mercedes are FAR superior to the Tesla; I agree. Of course, 96% of your choices on the Mercedes are White Gray or Black; no color. On a daily driver I don't know if I care. The Tesla's interior is more comfortable with MUCH MUCH MUCH better, gripper and softer seats. The Tesla's steering is just a million times better than the Mercedes. The instant torque without vibration or noise are so much better than that antiquated heavy wheezing air compressor of a Mercedes V6 (even the good DI engine). Even my SR+ will smoke any E Class this side of a real AMG.

Luxury? There is nothing more luxurious than smooth instant torque. Nothing more luxurious than never buying nasty, smelly gas from a germy virus encrusted gas pump. Nothing as easy as charging from home every few days.

Then to top it off when I went to sell my E Class to a friend who wanted it the service center said an engine mount was going soft and they all should be changed for $1,600. This is not including the $125 to $400 routine services and $700 transmission service that I got done early after reading horror stories on the internet. Traded with just under 53,000 miles.

The Tesla has been perfect ... working perfectly thus far. Can't wait to drive it again. It's just so much fun!

JMHO, hope it helped you. I still love my old W210 wagon and plan to keep it forever. Not interested in anything Mercedes builds new any more. My next new car will be a Model Y. My only regret was not spending more and getting the fully deluxe interior on the M3 (wish I had ordered one of the last LR RWD).

Drove every version of a M3. Could afford any version. I really like my SR+ on 19's.

Last edited:
Traded my W212 E350 Sport for a 2019 M3 SR+. There were many reasons that I made the decision, but truth be known my disappointment in the E350's handling was probably the biggest factor in my never really being satisfied with the W212.

Background; first car was an Opel GT, followed by RX7's, then 73 911, 84 911, 944, C4 Vette, C6, MR2 Turbo, a whole bunch of Miatas over the years. Done a few track days, but am far from a competitive driver. Had a family, fell in love with E Class wagons starting with the W210 and picked up the W212 sedan as a companion to the wagon to scratch the "sport" itch w/ something that I could put kids in.

Initially, on PZero's the E350 was too stiff. It stuck on a smooth surface but was too heavy and too stiffly sprung to corner if the road was not perfect. It would lose composure and bounce itself out of a corner. It pulled pretty well, but always felt heavy and of course you have to wait for RPM and wait for the transmission and after a three-count - off you go. The interior is not anywhere near as nice as the W210's. Seats hard as a rock. The interior does look nice. Ambient lighting and the gague cluster on the 2013 model was reminiscent of the way Porsche would lay theirs out. The sound system was great. It had a web browser and other advanced features that Mercedes decided to take away via software update for liability reasons. Swapped the tires a couple of times to less sport-oriented tires and became happier with the E350 but it worsened the already dull steering feel and poor chassis coordination.

Drove a M3 and was hooked. First, the sightlines over the top of the fenders and absence of a firewall, as well as the small steering wheel resonated up with memories of my 911SC. No, they are not remotely the same car, but the SR is a little tail happy with slip start on when faced with a high-speed off-camber turn. The M3 reminds me more of my business partner's 996 Turbo. The physics are kind of the same, with a very low center of gravity and a need to transfer weight to the back to hook it back up. Also, the World's best sports cars are not rock hard (which the E Class does because it is too heavy and the CG sucks), the 3 has a very nice balance of compliance and is dialed in better than my other daily driver, a VW GTI. The low center of gravity and RWD probably is a much easier platform for Tesla to tune.

As others have mentioned the body and paint on the Mercedes are FAR superior to the Tesla; I agree. Of course, 96% of your choices on the Mercedes are White Gray or Black; no color. On a daily driver I don't know if I care. The Tesla's interior is more comfortable with MUCH MUCH MUCH better, gripper and softer seats. The Tesla's steering is just a million times better than the Mercedes. The instant torque without vibration or noise are so much better than that antiquated heavy wheezing air compressor of a Mercedes V6 (even the good DI engine). Even my SR+ will smoke any E Class this side of a real AMG.

Luxury? There is nothing more luxurious than smooth instant torque. Nothing more luxurious than never buying nasty, smelly gas from a germy virus encrusted gas pump. Nothing as easy as charging from home every few days.

Then to top it off when I went to sell my E Class to a friend who wanted it the service center said an engine mount was going soft and they all should be changed for $1,600. This is not including the $125 to $400 routine services and $700 transmission service that I got done early after reading horror stories on the internet. Traded with just under 53,000 miles.

The Tesla has been perfect ... working perfectly thus far. Can't wait to drive it again. It's just so much fun!

JMHO, hope it helped you. I still love my old W210 wagon and plan to keep it forever. Not interested in anything Mercedes builds new any more. My next new car will be a Model Y. My only regret was not spending more and getting the fully deluxe interior on the M3 (wish I had ordered one of the last LR RWD).

Drove every version of a M3. Could afford any version. I really like my SR+ on 19's.
So jealous of the wagon! Love those, especially the E63. Ultimate sleeper. Thanks for your input!

The roof really has turned out to be a non-issue here in Houston. At least in the front seat. The factory coating on it means it is basically the same as a metal roof. In the back seat if you are really tall and your head gets close to the glass you can start to feel the heat radiation on really hot days, but in the front seat nah. The AC is very good, too. Especially since I can start it before I walk across the parking lot to get to the car.

<edit> And in the backseat that's the rear window, not the roof.
Considering Houston is typically hotter than Dallas, I'll take that as a plus. My wife who is south of 5ft tall said she felt it was warm in the back seat on the test drive, but being in Texas, the first thing I’d do is tint the windows when I took delivery.

Reactions: SammichLover
Kado

The AC on the Tesla is better than any other car I've driven and is only surpassed by *new* jets with air cycle machines. The AC is instant on, has plenty of flow and you direct a good amount of flow to the back seat. You do have to command the valves to supply the rear vents. The flow to the back is not on by default.

In very humid environs, like Houston, I suspect a M3 will fall victim to mold near the evaporator coil. All cars (and airplanes, ships, houses, etc ...) can do this since there is mold in our environment and it's just a fact of life on Earth. We have not had any problems in Georgia thus far, but the condensation coming off this very effective AC system is sometimes a steady stream and I've twice checked to see if the water was something else. Web board rumors are that the car now has a software function to dry the evaporator in certain conditions and it does seem something like that is going on when you lock the car and can hear it whirring away at something.

We did have a little moldy smell in the W212, but a shot of Lysol at the evaporator and new Charcoal filters fixed it. Never had a problem with the W210, but the air is inadequate to the back of the wagon in all E Class cars.

Kado

The AC on the Tesla is better than any other car I've driven and is only surpassed by *new* jets with air cycle machines. The AC is instant on, has plenty of flow and you direct a good amount of flow to the back seat. You do have to command the valves to supply the rear vents. The flow to the back is not on by default..........

Totally agree on the best AC on Model 3. It’s awesome.
FYI - Rear seat vents turn on automatically when someone is in the rear seat.

Reactions: Proflig8tor
FYI - Rear seat vents turn on automatically when someone is in the rear seat.
I don't believe that's correct. On our Model 3 test drive on a blisteringly hot day in LA, while I was seated in the back seat, I recall asking our Tesla sales rep to turn on the rear AC.

From p.105 of the Owner's Manual:
Adjusting the Rear Vents
Model 3 has vents located at the back of the center console where air flows from when the setting is turned on from the touchscreen.

I don't believe that's correct. On our Model 3 test drive on a blisteringly hot day in LA, while I was seated in the back seat, I recall asking our Tesla sales rep to turn on the rear AC.

From p.105 of the Owner's Manual:
Adjusting the Rear Vents
Model 3 has vents located at the back of the center console where air flows from when the setting is turned on from the touchscreen.
When climate is set to auto and there are rear occupants the rear vents turn on. I think telling the car you have a car seat in the back may turn on the rear vents all the time as well, but I'd have to go out to my car and check.

• Funny
Reactions: heysteveh