Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

messages and Favorites contacts not syncing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have got a brand new Nokia XR20 and the Contacts Favorites and messages are not syncing with my MY. any idea why?
But it is syncing my calls, contacts , and Calendar
1647362089229.png

1647362120212.png

1647362172584.png

There’s an option in the car - it’s a bit convoluted, go to Bluetooth, when you see the devices you’ll see your phone and add device next to it, bizarrely to change your phone you have to go to add device then from there change your phone. I’m not in front of my car but there’s an option about alerts or something like that which you need for text messages

Calendar access is one to watch if you share your car. It does it via the mytesla app and I believe but have never checked, your diary will appear in the car even if someone else is using the car!!!

Edit - this is for text messages.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardTheKing
Upvote 0
There’s an option in the car - it’s a bit convoluted, go to Bluetooth, when you see the devices you’ll see your phone and add device next to it, bizarrely to change your phone you have to go to add device then from there change your phone. I’m not in front of my car but there’s an option about alerts or something like that which you need for text messages

Calendar access is one to watch if you share your car. It does it via the mytesla app and I believe but have never checked, your diary will appear in the car even if someone else is using the car!!!

Edit - this is for text messages.
Thanks but still not working👍🏼

Upvote 0
iPhone: I only get new txt msgs that I receive whilst in the car. It doesn’t sync all of them.
Thanks but still not working👍🏼
As NewbieT said above you get the messages only when you are in the car - they are the only messages you can see in the car. It is a great way Tesla managed to do as it doesn’t leave messages in the car. All the messages are cleared once you lock the car or your phone is disconnected.

Upvote 0
I’ve seen someone else complain on a different forum so it’s possible it’s a software glitch.

Not sure I’d say the way Tesla do this is great though, having access to previous messages might be useful, being able to select an address from a message you were sent earlier would be even better, and they can always delete the cache in the car when the phone disconnects like they seem to do with contacts.

Upvote 0
As NewbieT said above you get the messages only when you are in the car - they are the only messages you can see in the car. It is a great way Tesla managed to do as it doesn’t leave messages in the car. All the messages are cleared once you lock the car or your phone is disconnected.
This is pretty cra.... And to be honest I am not bother if the message stay or not in the car. I just need them, I need the favourite contact and all thing which I consider normal to get for a car which has costed me £60k+🙄. By the way my old Honda CRV was doing all that and cost me 3 time less. This shouldn't be a problem today. I could understand if you have an old mobile phone but my is a 3 month old Nokia build on a pure Android one (not transformed like samsung and some other)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is pretty cra.... And to be honest I am not bother if the message stay or not in the car. I just need them, I need the favourite contact and all thing which I consider normal to get for a car which has costed me £60k+🙄. By the way my old Honda CRV was doing all that and cost me 3 time less. This shouldn't be a problem today. I could understand if you have an old mobile phone but my is a 3 month old Nokia build on a pure Android one (not transformed like samsung and some other)
I said it is a great way if you look at their current plans of selling Tesla to Hertz and other rentals. I am sure there are software alternatives that can remove the cache when the phone disconnects but having access to previous messages brings in another privacy issue as somewhere the rental companies may not agree (this is from US point of view and their privacy laws are different) - as bearer of the harmful message and not done anything about it - so Tesla always had a vision of selling their cars to rental agencies and kept their platform like a 'pay as you go' - when you connect your phone and while you are in the car you have access to messages and they won't be there if you disconnect your phone. This works well even in our set up for people who work in sensitive industry and share cars and have work mobiles - from privacy and confidentiality point of view. But as a personal owner it is a bit of downer if you are the only one using the car. I think Tesla's platform allow us to share the car with anyone without we being there and also protecting our privacy.

Btw, you get these features because you paid £60K+ and you might think this is rubbish but others have different views. 15K+ Honda isn't going to bother too much about your privacy or protecting others confidentiality as long as they can sell their washing machine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I said it is a great way if you look at their current plans of selling Tesla to Hertz and other rentals. I am sure there are software alternatives that can remove the cache when the phone disconnects but having access to previous messages brings in another privacy issue as somewhere the rental companies may not agree (this is from US point of view and their privacy laws are different) - as bearer of the harmful message and not done anything about it - so Tesla always had a vision of selling their cars to rental agencies and kept their platform like a 'pay as you go' - when you connect your phone and while you are in the car you have access to messages and they won't be there if you disconnect your phone. This works well even in our set up for people who work in sensitive industry and share cars and have work mobiles - from privacy and confidentiality point of view. But as a personal owner it is a bit of downer if you are the only one using the car. I think Tesla's platform allow us to share the car with anyone without we being there and also protecting our privacy.

Btw, you get these features because you paid £60K+ and you might think this is rubbish but others have different views. 15K+ Honda isn't going to bother too much about your privacy or protecting others confidentiality as long as they can sell their washing machine.
With respect, you will clutch at any straw to make a Tesla substandard software implementation preferable. Taking your logic, so what happens to a text message is received while driving? Why would that not persist in the car after the phone has disconnected but an existing text message on your phone, retrieved from your phone when connecting, would not? And if Tesla changed their software next week to import past messages you would no doubt be at the front of the queue praising over the air updates and how great it is they've added yet another feature.

The price of a car has nothing to do with privacy, and Tesla have a history of not respecting EU laws in the past.

Back on topic, I tried this morning and checked favorites and nothing.

Upvote 0
Taking your logic, so what happens to a text message is received while driving? Why would that not persist in the car after the phone has disconnected but an existing text message on your phone, retrieved from your phone when connecting, would not?
When your phone is connected and you are in the vehicle you are responsible - your next Q doesn't make sense if you understand the premise of what I said earlier.
And if Tesla changed their software next week to import past messages you would no doubt be at the front of the queue praising over the air updates and how great it is they've added yet another feature.
You don't know me - And this is more of a personal one, let me just ignore you
The price of a car has nothing to do with privacy, and Tesla have a history of not respecting EU laws in the past.

Back on topic, I tried this morning and checked favorites and nothing.
I am sure there are other EU regulators involved in this who can force Tesla to comply if they really wanted or if they are concerned about your privacy.

Upvote 0
So what happens to a text message received while driving? Why would that not persist in the car after the phone has disconnected but an existing text message on your phone, retrieved from your phone when connecting, would not?
I’m with you, whether the phone sends them when it connects or sends them when they get delivered as you drive makes no difference, and if you don’t want text messages sent to the car, just don’t enable the feature on your phone. Seems simple enough logic.

Upvote 0
This worked for me with a Samsung S21...

Ok...I think I found a fix. On my Samsung phone under Settings I selected Developer options, Bluetooth PBAP, Bluetooth PBAP version, PBAP 1.1, then Apply. I connected to my car and contacts now sync. What is strange is when I switched it back to PBAP version 1.2 it still syncs the contacts. So, by toggling this option it seemed to fix the issue.

Reactions: RichardTheKing
Upvote 0
I’m with you, whether the phone sends them when it connects or sends them when they get delivered as you drive makes no difference, and if you don’t want text messages sent to the car, just don’t enable the feature on your phone. Seems simple enough logic.
Interesting, I will expect the tesla system to tell me that I have receive a message and ask me if I want it to read it for me, preyty much what I have got on Android auto. I am still keeping my eyes on the road and I can answer by voice the message if I want too

Upvote 0
Interesting, I will expect the tesla system to tell me that I have receive a message and ask me if I want it to read it for me, preyty much what I have got on Android auto. I am still keeping my eyes on the road and I can answer by voice the message if I want too
That is how it works when a message comes in although I don't bother getting it to read to me.

My posts were more about wishing the car also read in previous texts on pairing (this is the pairing when you get in, not the initial pairing to tell the phone and car about each other). If I've been sent a text with an address in it it would be great to be able to open up your text messages in the car and click on the address and the satnav takes you there. I don't see any real difference from a security point of view with them being read in when the phone connects when you get in, and your phone passing a new message to the car when it arrives on your phone while you're driving, either way the car has one or more messages in its memory. When you get out and walk away, the bluetooth connection is lost and the car cleans up the data.

Upvote 0