Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metallic sound during U-turn+Regen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks,
Still exploring my ModelY [LRAWD 19in with Gemini caps] and came across this behavior :
Let off the accel. during a U-turn to come to a complete stop and there is a weird metallic sound as the car stops.
This happens in all 4 turns. ForwardLeft, ForwardRight, ReverseLeft and ReverseRight.

Regen: Standard
Drive mode : Standard
Steering: Standard
Hold mode

Has anyone has come across this ?
Thanks for your help.

I have heard a sound like gears rubbing against each other rather than engaging. Happens when stopping at stop sign/light using TACC.
Yes it does sound like that--like a shift gone very wrong in a manual transmission car. It happened again today as I took it off autopilot trying to slowly go through a roundabout. It does not sound good. I could feel vibrations under my feet.

I took my Y into service. After waiting 4 or more days I was informed this noise from the base of the steering column/floorboard is "normal". It is the "iBooster" checking the brakes while you drive. It was very intermittent and hard to replicate. They did hear the sound after driving the car 100 miles. They suggest a software update to only check this when the car is parked and not in motion. I found this noise very disconcerting and only hope it will be resolved with newer software. As someone who has experienced multiple engine failures in flight, I am pretty touchy when it sounds like the car is self-destructing!