Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Metromile Insurance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks, has anyone chosen metromile insurance? Any experiences? Metromile monthly cost comes to $74/mo -> $440/6 mo. Geico is at $795.

upload_2016-8-8_17-19-54.png
upload_2016-8-8_17-20-9.png

I've had Metromile for about 6 months now. So far, so good:
  • Very inexpensive (about 1/2 what I was paying with Geico) at about 800-900 miles per month.
  • Great customer service - I was able to reach a live customer service rep in SF every time, and one even gave me his direct line in case I needed to call him for anything. And when I had an issue with the electronic doodad and my i3, they sent another device that plugs into my cigarette lighter. No issues.
  • Great mobile app
Luckily, I haven't had to file a claim, so I have no idea how they are with claims and adjustments...

I think we are all in the same boat then. I understand they have a dongle to report miles and other data for billing and tracking pirposes. Being an engineer I have them a hard time asking all sorts of questions on what they log, collect and report and whether it includes driving habits, location etc compiled together for insurance profiling. Eventually the rep said yes they collect all that but don't use it currently.
Secondly, it's hard to vet them out without a claim experience.. that's the part I am worried about especially with a 100k+ car. They are backed by NGIC btw.

@ssq: Interesting. For sure they collect location info as well as mileage since you can view all your individual trips via their mobile app. And in case you're in a major collision, I wonder if they can use the info (speed, etc.) to determine fault?

NGIC is a credible insurer, right?

@ssq: Interesting. For sure they collect location info as well as mileage since you can view all your individual trips via their mobile app. And in case you're in a major collision, I wonder if they can use the info (speed, etc.) to determine fault?

NGIC is a credible insurer, right?
That's part of my concern including location tracking. They started off as a company similar to "automatic" which offers a OBDI port dongle with Bluetooth to talk to the car computer and collect data and report to the phone app. Then they partnered with NGIC, to offer much like what progressive does (safe drive discount, and similar OBDI based log collection, they definitely track speed, acceleration, driving habits)
The location part is done by the phone, so one can potentially deny access to location, at least on Android one has the flexibility to control coarse vs fine location. Well it totally depends on how the app logic is written, it can prohibited usage if you deny access to location, and that would suck!
Again, in short it's all about claims experience. NGIC is reputable I have heard, but I did come across few bad claim experiences with Metromile, you can google and dig those up. Also have to find out nitty gritties like car replacement program, glass coverage etc which are top notch at companies like Geico.

They key is when your car is in the shop, are they going to pay the over-bloated certified Tesla repair shop rates at $150 an hour?....probably not. Even Geico battles those higher rates.
Good point. So what happens when repairs need to be done at the tesla SC or authorized repair centers/body shops. Reputed companies like Geico refuse to pay? Who do they argue with - the insured car owner?

As far as I know, the insurance adjuster dictates the rates that is reasonable based on their system. For example, electrical work 75/hr and the repair shop will have to accept it if they want the job. My father owns a repair shop so I have seen all these claim documents. However, I don't know if a body shop will refuse a job, as there's obviously quite a good profit margin on auto body repairs (paid by insurance). Just because the shop normally charges 150/hr does not mean insurance pays the same rate.