Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the benefit of those of us who maintain supercharge.info, I'd like to ask that you please say the name of the location each time you post pictures. It's difficult (at least for me) to follow these buildouts because there are several in the same thread. If you're posting about a new location, please provide the address and GPS coordinates. These will help us out a lot!

Gracias! :)

Because crime/corruption never happens in [insert your favorite US state/city] 🙄
I live in Angwin, CA, population ~7500. The nearest town is St. Helena, and their police never come up here (we don't have our own) because, they say, there is no crime here. I've lived here 33 years and don't remember anything other than a traffic violation, which made the local face book page.

There are actually places with virtually zero crime.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I imagine it also depends on how Mexican you look. I was in a Mexican prison at 7 yo (my sister was with us at 5) because the cops saw a gringo who they could hassle and when my dad wouldn't put up with it they took us in.

We were out that afternoon, I seem to remember it got to a judge and we paid JUST the speeding fine and were on our way. I had a GREAT time in Mexico City, LOVE the food. I even snuck outta the hotel room at 3 am and was eating at the hotel restaurant (spicy pancakes) when mom found me, she was rather freaked out. Best Xmas ever!

I could be wrong but I thought the point of this thread was to keep track of supercharger developments in Mexico, not to debate the security of road trips in Mexico. Being that I'm not an ambassador of tourism for any country, the best advice I can give is when traveling anywhere: if you're afraid then don't go and don't take the risk. If you're not afraid and you're ok with the risk then go. Every place is a risk, some more than others, but only you can make that decision. Besides, I'm sure the vast majority of routes on the Mexico supercharger network are not geared for the average American tourist. I'm sure it's geared more towards Tesla owners in Mexico. It just so happens that we could use them if we chose to.

That being said, I hope the mods take note that this thread is starting to derail quite a bit.

Security has been a major strand of this thread going back four years when I was extorted in Mexico City and almost lost my brand new car to crooked cops.
I could be wrong but I thought the point of this thread was to keep track of supercharger developments in Mexico, not to debate the security of road trips in Mexico. Being that I'm not an ambassador of tourism for any country, the best advice I can give is when traveling anywhere: if you're afraid then don't go and don't take the risk. If you're not afraid and you're ok with the risk then go. Every place is a risk, some more than others, but only you can make that decision. Besides, I'm sure the vast majority of routes on the Mexico supercharger network are not geared for the average American tourist. I'm sure it's geared more towards Tesla owners in Mexico. It just so happens that we could use them if we chose to.

That being said, I hope the mods take note that this thread is starting to derail quite a bit.

I work in Mexico and I drive my Tesla around with no worries. I also write the travel advisories for the state department and warnings when things go wrong, such as the one quoted above. Having a Tesla hasn’t made me feel any differently than driving a bmw or Mercedes’ (of which there are plenty here) except people always ask me questions in the parking lot. I wouldn’t recommend driving end to end in Mexico. It isn’t safe. But driving from San Diego to Ensenada (when there isn’t cartel violence) or Arizona to Hermosillo? No issues at all. Stick to the toll road and have a good time.

So that whole kidnapping people who look like rich foreigners and ransoming them to their friends and relatives isn't really a thing?

Based on this assessment..
I wouldn’t recommend driving end to end in Mexico. It isn’t safe. But driving from San Diego to Ensenada (when there isn’t cartel violence) or Arizona to Hermosillo? No issues at all. Stick to the toll road and have a good time.
..it’s still a thing on off the beaten path routes.
Not a Tesla but I’m sure this is an example of such an encounter:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Can't wait for my Cybertruck, finally get a chance to hit Alaska and Mexico w/o worrying.

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 3.38.28 PM.png

Last edited: