TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Miami Formula E race

Discussion in 'Florida' started by Larry Chanin, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

This event is a bit far off at March 14, 2015, but perhaps by posting this now we can do some pre-planning of a club meet-up centered on the Miami Formula E race.

Calendar For Inaugural Season Of Formula E Confirmed
    Andretti Sports Marketing to host Miami Formula E race

Any interest?

Larry

2. BlkCld

BlkCld Member

Larry,
    This sounds interesting. Count me in pending my March schedule.
    Mark

3. Larry Chanin

Great. Remember you'll have to check your March 2015 schedule.

Did you notice that your avatar is flying upside down?

If you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla club, please click on my signature.

Larry

4. BlkCld

BlkCld Member

Thanks Larry I didn't catch that it was that far off yet.

5. MissErol

MissErol Model S #9221

I'm in for sure!!!! Thanks for the great heads up. Hope to see a strong SWFL appearance there.

6. jrreno

jrreno Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile

Larry
    Thanks for starting this thread. I have a lot of interest in attending the race. Any info on tickets and good hotels for the race would be appreciated!

7. Larry Chanin

Hi Jim,

Since this event is over a year away we'll have to wait a bit to get that information.

However, its never too early to collect some ideas regarding a club event focused around the race. I would hope that before the race we would see the advent of a "Miami" Supercharger. Knowing where it is located would be very helpful in selecting hotels for those of us traveling from the West Coast. Otherwise, there are currently only three hotels in the Miami area with chargers.

Larry

8. Seven7

Seven7 Member

#8 Seven7, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    Anything more on this, like the course they are going to drive? I would love to get a hotel room or rent a condo that overlooks a good bit of the course.
    ETA: It's going to be in the park by the south end of biscayne, bayfront park. Source was the downtown Miami website.

9. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

10. Larry Chanin

Joe,

Could you please provide a link to the Miami website. I've tried and can't locate it.

Thanks.

Larry

11. Larry Chanin

Did some more Googling:

Is this the Formula E Miami track layout?

Miami_track_layout.png

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I found the following public document which matches with the reporter's map in the previous posting.

Formula e layout.jpg

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a Google map of hotels nearby the above location.

Formula e nearby hotels.jpg

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

I have been in touch with the Public Relations Manager of Andretti Sports Marketing, the local organizer of this event. Unfortunately, she doesn't have any details to share at this time. Hopefully she will contact me when she does.

Larry

12. Seven7

Seven7 Member

13. Larry Chanin

Thanks Joe,

If the proposed route shown in my prior posting proves correct, they aren't going to run it in Bayfront Park. It's going to be slightly north of Bayfront Park.

Larry

14. Nickjhowe

Nickjhowe Member

Hey Larry. Any news from Tesla about this event? Time is flying - the Beijing race is this weekend, though the Miami page still seems divorced of details - no tickets yet.

It would be great if we can hook up with Tesla to put on some kind of display down there.

Want me to give Graham Carroll a shout?

15. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

I'd be interested in this as well, if non-Floridians are allowed :) Not sure I'd drive down though, but would love to see the race.

16. Larry Chanin

Hi Nick,

Sure, see if Graham will share any information, but more than likely he'll have to defer to corporate Marketing.

I have contacted the public relations manager at Andretti Sports Marketing some time ago and offered to participate in a photo opportunity, including a parade of Teslas driving the course at a sedate pace prior to the race. However, although we had been in communication earlier she chose not to respond to my inquiries or offer.

My concern with any large scale event that we might try to organize is that there is insufficient destination charging in the Miami area. To my knowledge there is only three hotels. I have discussed this issue with Tesla and they seemed confident that a "Miami" Supercharger Station would be operational. However, recent rumors suggest that it might not be located close enough to the Miami Formula e race to be really helpful.

I had been hopeful that we might be able to pursue a number of Miami hotels to join the Tesla Destination Charging Program, but I have been too busy to personally pursue this.

Larry

17. Bill D

Bill D Member

I'm interested in attending. I recall attending the Grand Prix on those same streets many years ago. It was fully packed with fans and there were many corporate-sponsored hospitality tents/suites.

I'm surprised there's very little info online at this point (6 months away). It's possible the Miami event promoters/sponsors are holding back to see how fans "buy" no-noise racing?

Hopefully, a successful launch in Beijing will get things rolling for Miami. I see the Beijing event will be televised live at 3:30 AM EST this Saturday morning and re-broadcast Sun afternoon at 1 PM EST.

18. Rodolfo Paiz

Rodolfo Paiz P85 "Plug and Play"

Pending my March schedule, I'm very interested in attending. I live a few miles away.

19. julioalonso

julioalonso Member

Same here. It really would be a pity if we cannot do something with our Teslas around the event.

If no supercharger or hotels, we can organize to have people coming from outside Miami to charge at our home chargers for the night.

20. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

I'm definitely planning on attending with some racing friends.